AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are numerous threads here that discuss the great Leno vs. Letterman debate and how Leno HDTV has had an impact on Letterman viewing habits, vice-versa, etc., etc.

Please visit this public survey. Please forward the link to anyone else interested in this topic.

It's short (only 10 questions) and will only take a minute to complete. I think the results will be interesting and I will post them as a reply to this message on October 4.

Have Fun!

Linky to Survey

----------------------------------------------

Hi everyone, sorry for the delayed results.

We had 371 people respond to the survey. Here are the questions and results. If you voted, thanks for playing. If you didn't, I hope you find these fun, too. Here goes.......

1. Do you own an HDTV television?

98% Yes

2% No

2. If you own (or have seen) HDTV, how would you rate the quality of HDTV broadcasts (in general).

72% Superb

27% Nice

1% OK

0% Not Great

0% Bad

3. Are you a regular viewer of EITHER of the two late night talk shows in the 11:30EST timeslot? (The Late Show with David Letterman or The Tonight Show with Jay Leno).

76% Yes

24% No

4. Which late night program did you prefer to watch PRIOR TO THE RELEASE OF HDTV?

26% The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (NBC)

74% The Late Show with Davide Letterman (CBS)

5. Which program do you prefer to watch now

2% The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (NBC) in Standard Definition

69% The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (NBC) in High Definition

29% The Late Show with Davide Letterman (CBS) in Standard Definition

6. Have you switched your late night viewing habits in order to watch more programming in HDTV?

67% Yes

33% No

7. If you were previously a Letterman viewer, are you now watching more Leno strictly because it is in HDTV?

18% N/A – I’ve always watched Leno, even before HDTV.

60% Yes - HDTV has drawn me to watch more of Leno (Sorry Dave!).

22% No - I can live with Dave's current picture/audio quality and continue to watch him in Standard definition.

8. This survey was created on 9/19/03. As of this date, Dave was not broadcasting in HDTV. Which statement best summarizes your thoughts on this (regardless if you are a Leno or Letterman fan).

59% It should have happened already. To truly compete, Dave should've be on pace with Leno from the beginning and launched about the same time.

35% I'm OK with the current delays, but hurry up already. CBS doesn't seem to have issues with their other programs in HDTV.

5% I'm OK with the current delay, and will understand if they announce more delays. That's life and I'll deal with it.

1% What's the big deal? Late night shows don't need to be in HDTV anyway.

9. This survey was created on Friday 9/19/03. What is an acceptable launch date for the Late Show with David Letterman in HDTV.

76% Q4 2003

18% Q1 2004

2% Q2 2004

4% Q3 2004

10. What will the sex of Dave's new baby be?

58% Boy

42% Girl

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
The only thing you need to know from me is this:

The only time I watch Leno is when Letterman is in repeats *and* Leno has a guest worthy of the HDTV treatment *and* when I can get a bounce from one of my nearby HD capable NBC affiliates. (All three conditions must apply.) Sorry, I don't do surveys

HDC

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey, msp_trekker ...

Would you happen to be an employee of SurveyMonkey? :)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I'm looking forward to having Conan in HD. That show is consistently more humorous and (in the spirit of the old Letterman) more daring than either of the 11:30 late night shows.

·
Registered
99 Posts
1) Not filling out the survey

2) Letterman is set up on my Replay daily - so until a decent HD-PVR comes out, it doesn't really matter to me if it's in HD or SD.

3) Leno is so non-funny, I will not watch it.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Homer J
... Leno is so non-funny, I will not watch it.
That's how I feel about Letterman.

To each his own..........

·
Registered
362 Posts
Not to rain on a parade, because I strongly beleive in as much HD content as possible but for them to invest in HD on programming that comes on at 11:30 p.m. or later to the majority of the country when the Evening National News shows are not in HD, doesn't make alot of sense.

I ususally watch those shows in bed, and I know there are some people who have 2 HDTV's but it has to be like only 10% or less of people who have 1 HDTV. Right?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rvaidyan
Hey, msp_trekker ...

Would you happen to be an employee of SurveyMonkey? :)
Nope. Just like the format of the free online surveys.. Have used it before for other things and realized that this might be an interesting application for it.

There have been about 220 responses so far. I won't tease you too much, but I will say that the responses about Dave's baby have been interesting to watch. ;-)

·
Registered
281 Posts
I took the survey, but it didn't quite fit my own situation, which is that I've recently started watching more Letterman than Leno, despite having gotten HDTV capabilites in the past year. Why? Leno's monologues have gotten progressively more reactionary, to the point where I can no longer stomach them, or him.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JIFISH
Why? Leno's monologues have gotten progressively more reactionary, to the point where I can no longer stomach them, or him.
Not to mention that they just keep going and going and going ... don't even bother to tune in before the 1st guest comes out. ;)

HDC

·
Registered
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by msp_trekker
I won't tease you too much, but I will say that the responses about Dave's baby have been interesting to watch. ;-)
How interesting could they be given the choices of boy and girl????

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JIFISH
Leno's monologues have gotten progressively more reactionary, to the point where I can no longer stomach them, or him.
Maybe I'll switch to Leno. Actually Letterman has always been much hipper, in a counter-revolutionary kinda' way :)

Tim

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I would have to say that I used to be an avid Letterman watcher, but he isn't what he used to be. Conan is just too darn late! However, I have watched a number of instances of Leno over the past few years largely because it is in HDTV. With overcompressed SD as an alternative it was nice to remind myself of how things would eventually look. I really don't understand why Letterman hasn't gotten there yet given CBS's overall high commitment to HD.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I also wonder why CBS has not made Letterman HDTV yet. I prefer Leno, but my wife likes Letterman's casual & involved humor. I would watch Letterman if it was in HD.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I sense that Letterman is the popular favorite on this forum, but let me add my voice to the Leno fans. I have enjoyed Leno a lot more than Letterman (and I find Conan extremely annoying). I think Leno's jokes are more accessible than Letterman's.

I'll readily admit that my preference for Leno could be because I'm not smart enough to get Letterman's humor. :confused: Leno's monologues, the "Headlines" and "JayWalking" features are hilarious ...

I'm glad it's Leno who's in HD! :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
The only think I don't like about leno are his monologues, the skits, the interviews, the guest are all much much better than Dave, in my opinion. I generally can't watch Dave for more than a couple minutes without getting annoyed. I don't think I've laughed at his top 10 once.

That being said, Conan is my favorite, but I generally don't stay up that late.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.