AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked in the FAQ but it seems outdated.

I have a HTPC but am looking for a nice progressive scan DVD player.

My girlfriend and roommates have know idea what they are doing and keep messing my HTPC up.

fairly cheap but nice

setup:

Mits 65802 rear projection

Thanks allot.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK after researching I think the Denon DVD-910 is the player to buy

if anybody thinks otherwise please let me know

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
The Denon 910 is the best player available under $300. If your looking for something under $200 I would go with the Pioneer 563a. If you want to spend a little more the Denon 1200 is very nice. It's got a few more features than the 910. Mainly for sound quality.

Tiger

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your reply Tiger

OK is there a 100 dollar picture difference between the Pioneer 563a and the Denon 910 ?

Picture quality is important but why spend more if I don't have to.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK so the picture is the same and the only difference between the 1200 and 910 is sound quality (and/or audio features)?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Yes the 1200 just adds DVD-audio, the video section is the same. The best picture quaity are from Faroudja-based players. Besides the Denon DVD-910 the other cheap current Faroudja-based model is the Mitsubishi DD-8040, under $250 at Tweeter stores - its comparable to the Denon DVD-1200 since it has DVD-audio too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is the Mitsubishi DD-8040, only at Tweeter stores, I checked online and did not find any?

(also do they only come in silver?):rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Yes the Mitsubishi DD-8040 is in the Tweeter retail stores. The Tweeter website only shows a very small number of the models stocked at the stores - so their website is useless. Yes its only a silver model.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I recommend the JVC XV-FA90BK 7 disc changer for $120 as the best bang for the buck unit available. They say the it is weak when displaying video based DVDs (versus film based). All I know, it does film based as good as a HTPC. Plus it has built in DD/DTS decoding plus DVD-A. Makes a great party player too. They have it at Vann's online.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the MITS 8040 and it's pretty cool. Of course I'm only comparing to my year old Sony w/ prog scan on my Sony 34HS510. The picture is ALOT better than what I had.

As far as comparison to other Faroudja models such as Denon and Panny, I really can't say. But if your stepping up from a regular player that you can buy from BB or CC you should be very happy. You also get DVD-Audio 5.1 channel analog outs which was nothing more than a gimmick to me until I heard it. It's pretty sweet. All for less than the Denon 910 w/o DVD Audio. Check your local Tweeter the Mits was on sale when I grabbed it last Friday. They have an awesome return policy, so you really can't go wrong either way. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
283 Posts
go with the denon. I just returned the 563A. Picture quality is not that good on the 563a. I got sucked in from all the glowing reviews of the 563a. But it is only a good buy if you consider all the features at that price. I paid only $143 for it. You get what you pay for and even at that price I wouldn't buy it.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I agree with Newyorker. Picture quality is not so good with 563a. I bought it for universal SACD/DVD-A playability and mainly use to play rental movies. I don't want to let the rental DVDs damage my RP82 because Panasonic drive transport is very fragile.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Omikron
I don't want to let the rental DVDs damage my RP82 because Panasonic drive transport is very fragile.
How exactly does this damage occur?

I love rentals. Should I be using a Disk Condom or something to protect my player?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.