AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hearing of dvd players coming this fall and some already out that will take the dvd output and upconvert it to 720p and 1080i. What would be the benefit of this? Isn't the picture quality of an enhanced for 16x9 dvd that outputs a progressive 480p picture the best picture dvd's can produce until an HD-dvd comes out?

Can anyone comment if upconverting all current dvd movies to 720p or 1080i in a dvd player would have any benefits over todays 480p progrsssive scan dvd players?

Just because current HD content is 1080i like HDnet or 720p like ABC does not mean a dvd will look the same just because its "upconverted" to these rates?

I would assume it needs to be recorded on the dvd at these scan rates to make any noticeable difference over the current 480p? Hense the HD dvd's in the future..

Can anyone comment on this?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Upsampling will not yield as good a picture as an HD-source, but if done well, it can be somewhat close, depending on the size of your display.

Many displays, such as LCDs, DLPs, and Plasmas have fixed resolutions. This means that if you feed one of these displays a 480p input or any input that is not it's native resolution, it will always scale that resolution to its own fixed resolution. To keep pricing low, the scaler that is built into the display device is often cheap or poorly implemented. An upscaling dvd player or external video processor is designed to bypass or limit the use of the internal scaler of the display device, which often provides better quality video. The upscaling dvd player also has the advantage that the scaling can be performed on the original digital signal, before any digital to analog or analog to digital conversion steps.

If all displays had built-in Faroudja scalers, we wouldn't have much need for upsampling dvd players or external video processors.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Troytn:

I am in the market for a new DVD player this year. Here is my understanding from reading the forums:

1. DVDs are 480i. They can be scaled up (or uprezzed) to 480p in a DVD player (commonly called "progressive scan"). Some DVD players can uprezz to 480p or 1080i or 720p. Examples are the Samsung DVD HD-1000 and the Bravo D1. There are ongoing discussions about these machines on the AVSforum. The advantage of any uprezzing is the potential for a better picture quality. Some AVSforum members have found the hi-definition images from these machines to look superior to a progressive scan DVD player but others report problems.

2. While some members have reported that HDTV continues to look better than the best uprezzed DVD, I have not read any reports that state the uprezzed DVD looks better than HDTV.

3. HD-DVD with having to get all new DVDs is a different discussion than DVD players that can uprezz regular commercial copy-protected DVDs that you can purchase today. For more on HD-DVD see: http://www.dvdsite.org/

You may also want to read about HDCP. Here is one link: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=199439

And you might want to read about DVI. Here are two links: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=251329 and http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=238526

This is compact explanation but I hope it helps. Good luck. :)

Rick

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the links. I have a Mitsubishi 65" diamond series HD set. I assume this would not down rez a signal like the LCD, DLP units mentioned. Bascally the dvi and other digital inputs are the same as toslink or coax digital is for audio?

It keeps the video signal digital to the set hence "should" be a better picture than using the standard component video hookups.

I wonder if the video quality differences these digital interfaces us vs component is as dramatic as the audio digital interfaces vs analog.Then again it gets into DAC quality for audio as I'm sure there will be quality differences of "video" conversions in HD sets that accept these digial signals via dviand others?

Whew no wonder Joe sixpack is confused about HD products..

thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.