Status
Not open for further replies.
13781 - 13800 of 18952 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul
Since they referred to technologies my guess would be BD+ and BD-J. To have mandatory MC on Blu-ray would be a policy decision.
HP request MMC&iHD and BD camp said no, not worth the change. If it is a policy decision, then BD's answer is no. Do I miss anything?

BTW, HD DVD is 1080p24 without filtering before encoding according to sspears who encode movie for Warner. Keith also was not aware of this process in the player. 29.97 is just a sequence header in the 24p stream to enable the decoder to perform 3:2 pulldown. This has been explained again and again.

·
Registered
279 Posts
That is corporate competition going on at that level. Just like poilitics.....Spin and attacks are always going to be present. I mean I am company Blind. If it was Joe's crab shack that had the best format that had what I was looking for I would support it.I see alot of people here are so bent against MS..it's useless to talk about it because they see it as BD against MS.I mean Loyalty by consumers to a company name is hard for me to understand. I go for whoever has the most feature rich product for my money. Tomorrow if Apple cam eout with an awesome HTPC set up that eclipsed what I could do on MCE and was stable......Then guess what .....Tomorrow I would own a MAC and have no issue dumping MCE. I was actually dissapointed in the MCE Roll UP 2 as I would have liked to have seen more features come out specifically in the HDTV content, but again there isn't anyone else out there doing more then what they can do....so that's what I've got for now.I've thought the Quality of Sony's TV sets in recent years was going downhill while the Price remained higher then everyone else. I became an Hitachi fan. Now I feel like Hitachi has slipped a little and the new Sony SXRD sets are probably the best I've seen to date. So next month I plan on purchasing one. I have no loyalty to companies, but to product. It just appears obvious to me that alot of this thread is more about people's love for Sony and hatred for MS......

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
This just in...

MMC is now officially part of the BD spec.

Warner asked for it and got it. Confirmed by Warner execs and our good friends at CED. So much for the lame-o "it's not a format thing" blather. With the new MMC provision, you can distribute video over a home network and to portable devices. Just make sure your credit report's in good shape. Boo-yah!

Despite earlier reports parroted by idiots like me, MMC, not BD-9, was Warner's #1 concern. Go figure. Of course, I expect CED to re-report on Monday that the crucial tipping point was Sony allowing Warner to order the lobster.

The jury's still out on iHD. Half the BDA BOD says (off the record) it's a done deal, but there's been no vote yet. Moot point, though, since it's looking like most BD releases early on will be HDMV with no interactivity. Right now, best case, iHD becomes part of the interactivity portfolio, not a replacement for BD-J...those Sith lords have powers, you know.

Warner is now officially labeling itself format agnostic, and they quietly reaffirmed plans to release HD-DVD titles once hardware is released. They also confirmed that they will release BD titles as part of the initial BD rollout, which they said would likely prove immaterial to their FY2008 revenue.

In non-related schadenfreude news, Sony has only sold 50% of the PSPs delivered to retailers in North America. Similar sell-though figures were estimated for Japan as well. Naturally, Sony trumpeted that their shipments to date have outpaced all other platforms. If you build it, they will come. Hopefully.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amillians
This just in...

You made my day :D

MS to follow?
Quote:
Warner is now officially labeling itself format agnostic, and they quietly reaffirmed plans to release HD-DVD titles once hardware is released. They also confirmed that they will release BD titles as part of the initial BD rollout, which they said would likely prove immaterial to their FY2008 revenue.

So we will definitely see a war? I hope this thread to go beyond 2000 pages this time next year. Heck, we got 450 without a product or movie.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Actually, if you read closely there is very little anti-MSFT bias in this thread. A number of BD supporters explicitly said they have no problem with MSFT in general. If anything, there are some posters here who are much more openly anti-Sony. I think kreisman nailed this one: MSFT can't stand to lose, and they aren't used to it. First iPod/iTunes, now Blu-ray... makes them a little angry, apparently.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
To the blu-ray fanboys on this thread please answer my one question. Since most specs between the two formats are basically the same, why back a format where the whole infrastructure from disc pressing to replicating has to be changed? Is it really just the capability of extra capacity further down the road that's enticing?

I ask this because I equate this to GM trying to bypass hybrid cars (where the fueling infrastructure is in place) and go straight to hydrogen fuel cell cars ( where some major changed in refueling have to take place). Someone has to foot the bill for retooling the whole infrastructure. And not only that, BD has to keep practically all of their existing replication and pressing lines for DVD-9. And lets not forget to add the cost power, taxes and salaries for people to run and manage the new lines.

Because of this I see the delay for BD release and perhaps a bigger difference in price of content than what's been suggested on this thread. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K display
Can We Say 'Over?'
From that article in HomeMediaRetailing:

"The fact that Warner has now gone over to the other side speaks volumes about the final outcome of the battle for supremacy between the two formats. You’re not going to choose someone else’s kid over your own unless you are convinced your own child has absolutely no chance.

So why are some studios still supporting HD DVD? As one of their presidents told me on the sly, “To keep Sony honest.â€

At this point, I honestly don’t believe any of the six studios has any intention of releasing product on both formats. They’re all intending to release on Blu-ray only, even the two, Paramount and Warner, that are publicly saying they support both formats."

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Seng
To the blu-ray fanboys on this thread please answer my one question. Since most specs between the two formats are basically the same, why back a format where the whole infrastructure from disc pressing to replicating has to be changed?

We need 50GB.

Quote:
Because of this I see the delay for BD release and perhaps a bigger difference in price of content than what's been suggested on this thread. Just my 2 cents
Don't worry about this, HD DVD will keep them in check. :D

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2blu
I've read that Sony is prepping the PS3 for Christmas '05. Regardless, Sony would be smart to rollout the PS3 with BR technology at launch and for a great price. If they were willing to take an initial loss, they'd likely benefit greatly in the end.
Try Christmas 06-11-06

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I have to agree with mikemorel. If you read on the game sites and game developer sites there are blogs that there will be no games ready for launch until summer next year. And they're guessing single digit titles by then. I think that is the diliemma PS3 is in.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
lymzy, I'm glad you answered. So why do we need 50 GB? Has anybody seen a movie on a 30 GB HD-DVD and then seen a movie on 50 GB Blu-ray? Can we as consumers actually see the difference or had a chance to see the difference? If it is for recording or backing up, what is the actual cost of a DL blu-ray disc? Will most J6P's buy it? Since these same discs will be coming from the new lines, I believe disc will be significantly higher priced than what we saw of DL red laser discs.

I just want to know if the extra capacity will be worth the perceived extra cost that will be funneled to the consumer (and it's done one way or another).

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Paul, there was a smiley face you didn't see. He's parroting one of the key arguments, now conveniently forgotten since it's not going to be a factor anytime soon, for BD over HD-DVD. Oh, those were the days...30Mbps AVC 2160p/120 with 24 channels of 384/96 audio. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quote:
So why do we need 50 GB?
Less of a need for a second disc for extra material for a given release. How's that for savings? I haven't seen either format, but I gather 50 gb's will be desirable to provide higher bit rates allowing for higher image quality (higher image quality being the reason all of us will want to buy into an HD optical format to begin with.)

·
Registered
371 Posts
My guess is we don't need 50GB, at least not initially. But capacity is a funny thing. The more you have, the more you use. I could never imagine why anyone would need a HD of more than 2GB, and advised people to not waste their money.....ooops....wrong again.

With available space, there's plenty of room to innovate. Things we can't think of right now will be there if the space allows. I'm hopeful that eventually the size can grow to 75, 100, and beyond. Betcha in a few years you'll be happy its there.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Quote:
lymzy, I'm glad you answered. So why do we need 50 GB? Has anybody seen a movie on a 30 GB HD-DVD and then seen a movie on 50 GB Blu-ray? Can we as consumers actually see the difference or had a chance to see the difference? If it is for recording or backing up, what is the actual cost of a DL blu-ray disc? Will most J6P's buy it? Since these same discs will be coming from the new lines, I believe disc will be significantly higher priced than what we saw of DL red laser discs.

I just want to know if the extra capacity will be worth the perceived extra cost that will be funneled to the consumer (and it's done one way or another).
50GB is too old a bait for me to resist. Sorry, with the recent developments, GB doesn't matter anymore. I back the format because the studios support it.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
thanks amillians, I didn't see that. Jeff, you may be right. If costs will be the same, then yes, I would like for blu-ray to win. If not, then I am not a fan of extra capacity that might not be utilized for many years to come.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lymzy
I back the format because the studios support it.
Did you buy a Divx playaer back when Fox & Disney supported that instead of DVD? :p

·
Registered
371 Posts
Quote:
This just in...

Wow, this really is good news.

So are you celebrating now, Amir? Come on, enjoy! We're all happy now. Soon to be neutral again? Or do you need iHD as well? Bill is quoted as saying, "If [the Blu-ray group] would fix that one thing, you know, that'd be fine"

You know this war really is all over. You can hasten it and be consumer friendly by endorsing blu-ray, thus eliminating any hope whatsoever for HD-DVD. What could be more consumer friendly now than ending this war.

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,800
Quote:
Despite earlier reports parroted by idiots like me, MMC, not BD-9, was Warner's #1 concern.
So then......BD-9 was their #2 concern, after MMC? I can live with that. :)

Palladin

Chance favors the prepared mind

13781 - 13800 of 18952 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.