AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received this info from the "Virtual Press Office"...

( BW)(CA-GENESIS-MICROCHIP)(GNSS) Samsung Designs Genesis Micrcochip's FLI2310 Video Processor into New Progressive-Scan DVD Player

Business Editors/High-Tech Writers

SAN JOSE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 15, 2003--

CEA 2003 Innovation Award-winning DVD-HD931 Leverages DCDi(R) by

Faroudja Technology and Brand

Genesis Microchip Inc. (Nasdaq:GNSS), a leading provider of display image processors, today announced that Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., a global leader in the consumer electronics industry, selected Genesis' FLI2310 video format converter for use in its DVD-HD931 progressive-scan DVD player. Currently available in the U.S., the DVD-HD931 retails for a suggested price of $299 USD and carries the DCDi(R) by Faroudja brand on its faceplate for easy consumer recognition.

"The DVD player market is forecasted to grow from 49 million units in 2002 to 64 million units in 2004. Semiconductor companies that can enable DVD player OEMs to raise the bar to the next level of advanced audio and video quality will benefit from this growth," said Jay Srivatsa, principal analyst, Consumer Electronics for iSuppli Corporation.

The FLI2310 is a single-chip digital video processor that converts standard interlaced and high definition video signals into formats compatible with the fixed pixel formats of flat panel displays. Additionally, the FLI2310 features video enhancement technologies, aspect ratio conversion and Faroudja(R)'s proprietary DCDi algorithms that eliminate the jagged edges seen on moving angled lines in video.

"After several product introductions utilizing Faroudja(R) video processing technology from Genesis, we again selected the FLI2310 controller for our new progressive-scan DVD player," said Y.S. Park, Samsung's vice president of DVD Research and Development Group. "We believe that Faroudja's Emmy award-winning DCDi(R) deinterlacing and image enhancement technologies enable Samsung's DVD-HD931 to produce the vibrant images and high-quality video that our customers expect."

"Having recently received a 2003 Innovation Award from the Consumer Electronics Association, the DVD-HD931 reflects Samsung's commitment to producing advanced, feature-rich consumer electronics," said Anders Frisk, executive vice president and COO of Genesis Microchip. "We are very pleased by Samsung's continued selection of our video processing technology to create visibly superior images in several of their products."

Other advanced performance capabilities of the FLI2310 include:

-- Patented film mode technology for proper handling of 3:2 and

2:2 pulldown, as well as bad-edit detection/correction.

-- Motion adaptive algorithms that select optimal filtering on a

per-pixel basis to produce maximum resolution and suppress

motion artifacts.

-- Patented non-linear enhancement algorithms to enhance the

small details and large edges of an image to create the

clearest picture without introducing artifacts.

-- Flexible horizontal and vertical scalers to perform aspect

ratio conversion and to upconvert an image to resolutions up

to 1080p or SXGA.

-- Input resolutions of 480i (NTSC), 576i (PAL/SECAM), 480p,

720p, 1080i and VGA to SXGA.

-- Output resolutions of 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and

VGA to SXGA.

I can't wait. I only hope they bring this DVD player to my side of the world...

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Flexible horizontal and vertical scalers to perform aspect

ratio conversion and to upconvert an image to resolutions up

to 1080p or SXGA.

Ohh, he said aspect ratio conversion! This player should be AWESOME.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It says it currently available, yet no retailers even know this player exists!

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
It's not currently available. I've been told by both a Samsung distributor and Samsung's PR firm that it will not be out until late June or early July. The question is, will anyone that doesn't have a display with a DVI input want this player, if it doesn't use the FLI2310 for its component outputs.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Cain
Where is the info about the DVI output ??
Yes, I'm surprised the article didn't mention that the HD931 will be the first dvd player with a DVI output...

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Can one use the DVI output from this player to a projector that does NOT have HDCP ??

Where can I read more details about this player??

Thanks!!

-- Cain

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
You can use the DVI output, but you may not get anything higher than 480p without an HDCP-compliant display. I was told specifically by Samsung that the DVI output would have HDCP protection. There are a few threads (one pretty long one) on this player in this forum.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Will the limited 480P be easy to work around like the Bravo D1?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Note that that great list of features in the (Genesis) press release refers to the FLI2310 chip, not the Samsung DVD player. The player will certainly have some of these features, but, just as certainly, not all of them. (The player won't have a 720p input, for example.)

- Dale Adams

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules343
How much is this player going to cost? Will the limited 480P be easy to work around like the Bravo D1?
The price is in the press release above: $299.

Just like with the Bravo, we'll probably have to wait until the player comes out to answer your second question. But if they're not using the 2310 chip on the 480p output, there will be no scaling through the component outs.

The press report above represents the most information we've got to date on this player.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Does anyone have a guess what "Input resolutions of 480i (NTSC), 576i (PAL/SECAM), 480p, 720p, 1080i and VGA to SXGA. " is referring too?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by duffin
Does anyone have a guess what "Input resolutions of 480i (NTSC), 576i (PAL/SECAM), 480p, 720p, 1080i and VGA to SXGA. " is referring too?
Duffin,

This is a press release for a chip set, not a DVD player. The input resolutions refer to the input resolutions supported by the FLI2300. This press release has little to do with the HD-931, Genesis just used that product as an excuse to do another press release on the FLI2300 product line.

This topic should be renamed to "new press release on FLI2300 chipset used in HD-931" as it really does not contain any new info on the FLI2300 and is inaccurate to boot.

-phil

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by PhilB
Duffin,

This is a press release for a chip set, not a DVD player. The input resolutions refer to the input resolutions supported by the FLI2300. This press release has little to do with the HD-931, Genesis just used that product as an excuse to do another press release on the FLI2300 product line.

This topic should be renamed to "new press release on FLI2300 chipset used in HD-931" as it really does not contain any new info on the FLI2300 and is inaccurate to boot.

-phil
I disagree with you, the HD-931 is refered to all through the press release, but I guess time will tell what the HD-931 is capable of.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PhilB
Duffin,

-phil
Yes, I know it is a chip set press release. I'm just scratching my head what other products/chips/curcuits would input into this chip at these various resolutions.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by duffin
Yes, I know it is a chip set press release. I'm just scratching my head what other products/chips/curcuits would input into this chip at these various resolutions.
The FLI23xx family is used in a number of digital projectors to handle deinterlacing and scaling.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by amillians
The FLI23xx family is used in a number of digital projectors to handle deinterlacing and scaling.
Awwh, thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.