Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

The Brillian technology offers on-screen contrast ratios as high as 2500:1 for crisp and bright images (compared with the typical 600:1 or less for other LCoS Gen I products); high pixel fill factors (greater than 93%) for smooth, eye-catching imagery; fast response times (less than 10 milliseconds) for excellent video reproduction without motion or digital artifacts; plus a 10-bit color palette (each for R, G, B) for truly accurate image reproduction.

The TVs are slated for introduction by Brillian's OEM customers mid-2004.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040107/law078_1.html

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040108/lath056_1.html

Note: I have no connection with any of these companies. I just wanted to document that high performance Liquid Crystal projection sets will be released this year.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Has anyone seen one of these? They were supposed to be at CES.

Does anyone know who their OEMs are? It doesn't sound like the OEMs are left with much in the way of differentiation or cost reduction avenues. ie. it sounds like "the whole TV is done, slap your name on it".

·
Registered
49 Posts
I saw it. Brillian had an enclosed space in the South Bldg. at the CES where you needed an appointment to get in. The CEO and CFO were showing off a 65" RP HDTV. They had it enclosed in a wall so couldn't see its depth. I was impressed with its quality. The entire screen showed uniform smooth images and the CR looked high. Blacks appeared black. Gradients of gray were better than Gen 1 LCOS. Chose 720p over 1080p since "that was where the current market is". Three panel LCOS.

Company said that they are looking for branding clients including PC brands. Box to be assembled in Mexico with parts from Asia (China and Malaysia) and Tempe, AZ shipped in.

OEMs not free to customize since final product is fixed.

According to Brillian CEO, CEA brass had just viewed it and called it the "best HDTV in the show".

This post probably belongs in the Rear Projection section.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Brillian = king of press releases, joker when it comes to actual products.

Those press releases involve the internals of the TV and the industrial design.

They don't speak to actual OEMs who have any distribution.

Seriously, when a real company that has retail presence in the U.S. announces a TV based on this stuf, it might be intriguing. For now, the vaporware continues.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
....Great....Now, if we could only get some enterprising Korean or Chinese company to assemble a FP using these LCOS chips coupled to the following :

Three LCOS chips (R/G/B), with the chip used for green color permanently attached to its base; The other two chips sitting on fully activated bases therefore allowing for a three-panel convergence, something akin to CRT convergence..... (didn't Sanyo use something along these lines with one of its LCD projectors, the model XPN-21 ???)

DVI or, preferably, HDMI connection, as well as component-input, VGA, etc..

The latest iteration of DCDi (fully in/out of signal path), as well as lens from a reputable manufacturer, displaying very little or no chromatic aberration....

Small size and weight of less than 20 lbs....

And one could only dream if it came with a cool-operating lamp, therefore obviating the need for an internal fan, with an estimated lifespan of at least 10.000 hours ( one can dream, after all !!!)

.....And, best of all, a list price of, say, $6.000 !!!!

......And just watch them fly out the dealer's doors !!!

·
Banned
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brillian has only been a separate company for a few months. The stock price is increasing rapidly.

Maybe they should price their product at DLP/TI levels for some here to take them seriously. Or maybe we are just seeing competitor response. A great fear is that consumers will quit buying todays expensive products in anticipation of considerably better and cheaper products.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Interesting that, apparently, no one else on this board viewed the Brillian HDTV at CES (or heard the sales pitch).

Americans love their BMWs, Mercedes and Lexus in the auto world and Asian companies in the CE world and seem to give short shift to US CE tech. Tout Samsung, Sony and the rest. IMO, American EE's are the best.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The Brillian stock float is new, the Brillian-as-spinoff-from-Three-Five is not nearly as new.

Brillian has seriously never produced anything in this realm despite scores of press releases. I don't mean to be cruel, but this company has a horrid track record.

Now, things can change, but with the entrance of Philips and Intel into the LCOS market (one in with product, the other the greatest chip maker on earth), with the recomittment of JVC, with the entry and demonstration of product from eLCOS (a startup that had sets working on the show floor), with the impending arrival of Sony's SXRD, it's just hard to get even a little excited about Brillian.

Maybe things will change.

·
Premium Member
25,537 Posts
"...Intel is targeting the 40" to 60" HD display market."

I thought they were targeting the display mfgr market, so the display size is irrelevant to them. The same LCOS chips could be used in any size display.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.