AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have not kept up with LCD panels in the last 2 years. What is the most sought after LCD panel in the 42-50 inch range in a "normal" budget range? There might be some expensive panels that are sought after, I am looking for a clear leader in the field if there is one. Any tips?

· Premium Member
JVC 540, 77” G2, Atmos 7.1.4
1,844 Posts
Hard to argue against the Sony W and V lines or the Samsung 500/600 series. Seem to be pretty good bang for the buck and some higher end features but not too crazy.

· Registered
6,827 Posts
Reviewers like the Sony XBR8 and the Samsung A950 the best. These are the 08' models and will be replaced this year. The Samsung will be replaced by the B8500 and B9000 series which should be out not too much longer. Sony will likely have a successor to the XBR8 in the fall (the XBR9's are not the successor to the XBR8s). Both sets are local dimming LCDs.

· Registered
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah /forum/post/16854064

So, I have not kept up with LCD panels in the last 2 years. What is the most sought after LCD panel in the 42-50 inch range in a "normal" budget range? There might be some expensive panels that are sought after, I am looking for a clear leader in the field if there is one. Any tips?

Well it has has to be, easily, the Samsung B750-series. It has been mentioned by many in this forum among others that right now B750 is easily the best CCFL right now and much better value than EdgeLED-moderls (CNET even said that B750 offers better PQ that any EdgeLED-model). Moreover, some reviews even put it before a G10/V10 (Panasonic plasma) when it comes to watching sports. B750 is a bit above the "normal" price class I guess but you can get amazing deals if you just keep looking.

I had a really tough time deciding between B750 and Panny V10, but I just couldn't justify the plasma: worse design, bigger power consumption, only slightly less reflective screen, not noticeably better in motion handling... It is true that B750 has that ultra reflective screen (and this TV is going to be placed in a moderately-lit room with an opposite wide window) but this "mirror-like" screen will produce a greater watching experience. It's a double-edged sword in that it is a bit like a mirror but also it enhances the viewing experience in well-lit

rooms.

So my choice was 46B755 (Nordic model).

· Registered
258 Posts
I was looking for a 46" LCD and had narrowed my choices to the Sony W5100 (good price at Fry's) and the Samsung B640 (Best Buy only; didn't like the B650's "chin"). However, Fry's dropped the B750 to the same price as the other two, so I happily went with the B750 and bought one yesterday.

· Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A local place has a decent price on the Samsung LN46B530. How does this compare to the B750 and B650? This is going to the bedroom so do not need something super like the main theater area. Any thoughts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.