Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following was posted on projectorcentral.com

"Marantz America (Itasca, IL) rolled into the CEDIA trade show in September to show off it's first DLP-based front projection system and a new 55-inch DLP-based rear-projection system. According to Dan Miller, Marketing and Training Manager at Marantz, the new VP-12S1 HD front projector garnered a significant amount of attention.

"The VP-12S1 HD DLP projector has 40% more contrast than Sharp's XV-Z9000U DLP front projector with the added benefit of Faroudja color processing," said Miller. We also learned that there will be two models of this projector; one for the U.S. and one for Japan. Miller says the U.S. model will offer a whopping 1300:1 contrast ratio and 700 ANSI lumens, whereas the Japanese version will have 1300 lumens and contrast of perhaps 700:1.

Both versions are likely to use the latest wide-aspect chip set from Texas Instruments, the HD-2, which features a 12-degree tilt mirror and resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels. The electronics package includes three Sage decoders, and deinterlacer and video enhancer chips using Faroudja technology. It has a sealed light path to prevent dust for entering the optical system and high quality optics from Minolta.

"We underestimated the appeal of this projector and now have an order backlog," notes Miller. "There will also be some OEM deals to supply both the projector and the optical engine." The VP-12S1 HD is expected to retail for $12,999 with a street price of around $12,000. It should be available by the end of the year."

Contrast ratio seems pretty impressive, although a 40% increase over the Sharp 9000Z, puts the Sharp at only 780, and I think its higher than that. No mention of DVI either. Sounds like a pretty impressive projector, and Dan Miller in a letter to SGHT stressed how Marantz really tries to optimize performance in their projectors with bulb choice, etc., etc. This is a great time to be in the market for a projector, although it can drive you crazy when you make a purchase (9000Z in my case) and you read about the next latest and greatest. You just have to learn how to be satisfied I guess, and know that there will always be new products to drool over!

·
Registered
464 Posts
It seems that the Sharp 9000 is readily available via local dealers and the Internet for around $8,000. Its MSRP was $11,000, said to street at $10,000.

Will the Marantz follow? MSRP for $13,000, street at $12,000, and be readily available at $10,000 or below? What's Marantz's track record with regard to pricing? Will this drive the price of the Sharp down? All speculation at this point I guess.

I haven't bought the Sharp yet but want to... really bad! I guess I'll have to try and wait until the Marantz comes out before I make my decision. The agony!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Augie,

If you are going to wait for the Marantz, you might as well

wait for the Seleco HT-300 while your're at it. No sense making a decision until you've seen all the iterations of

the HD1 chip.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pete- the Marantz will be unique in that it will be using the HD-2 chip with 12 degree tilt mirrors.

Augie- Looks like you will have several great choices!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
And if your gonna wait on the Seleco you might as well wait on something else coming out in the future. The perfect projector isen't out there. If it were we wouldn't need this forum http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/tongue.gif .

Just get it !!!

------------------

Mike

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Hmmmm. Sharp claims 1100:1 contrast on the 9000. I think I'd rather have 16% less contrast and 14% more light (700 Marantz vs 800 Sharp). In either case: no DVI == no purchase. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Quote:
We also learned that there will be two models of this projector; one for the U.S. and one for Japan. Miller says the U.S. model will offer a whopping 1300:1 contrast ratio and 700 ANSI lumens, whereas the Japanese version will have 1300 lumens and contrast of perhaps 700:1.
The specs I posted was for the Japanese model: contrast 1100:1.

Quote:
Both versions are likely to use the latest wide-aspect chip set from Texas Instruments, the HD-2, which features a 12-degree tilt mirror and resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels.
Wasn't the whole purpose of the new 12-degree tilt mirror that we would see more lumens from these new DLPs?

Quote:
The electronics package includes three Sage decoders, and deinterlacer and video enhancer chips using Faroudja technology.
Is the scaling being done by Faroudja technology?

Quote:
It has a sealed light path to prevent dust for entering the optical system and high quality optics from Minolta.
Great! Thus the HT300 won't be the only one with sealed optics.

Quote:
The Marantz will be unique in that it will be using the HD-2 chip with 12 degree tilt mirrors.
Yeah, but why the poor brightness! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/mad.gif

Quote:
I think I'd rather have 16% less contrast and 14% more light (700 Marantz vs 800 Sharp).
I'd rather have 16% less contrast and 100% more light http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Quote:
And if your gonna wait on the Seleco you might as well wait on something else coming out in the future. The perfect projector isen't out there.
Well, pack +1200:1, +1500 ANSI, 1:1 pixel mapping, and DVI/HDCP into one of the new wide DMD PJs and it's close enough for me. At least until TI makes a 1920x1080 DMD...

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Sounds very promising...Don't count on Sharp to lower prices...keep in mind the 9000 is their best achievement in many years...but SHarp's history suggests they will maintain price level in order to maintain a vast marketing budget. THe Marantz sounds great too as well as the Seleco HT300..hope to see them real soon...

Regards,

John

·
Premium Member
25,004 Posts
"Both versions are likely to use the latest wide-aspect chip set from Texas Instruments, the HD-2, which features a

12-degree tilt mirror "

Really?! That would explain some of the better contrast, but I thought the HD-2 wasn't going to be available until next year.

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

Quote:
"Both versions are likely to use the latest wide-aspect chip set from Texas Instruments, the HD-2, which features a

12-degree tilt mirror "
Wow is this true? If it is true then why would others be using the HD-1 at 10-degree mirror tilt. The 12-degree mirror tilt gives much better blacks because the off position gets the light further into the absorbers and away from the optics.

This will be a big winner for Marantz if others are using the 10-degree HD-1. Do we have any other confirmation of this or just projector central? You would be not happy if you had just got the 10-degree HD-1 and this is starting to ship. No wonder the contrast is better.

Anyone know if the firewire is 5C complient for copy protection?

DavidW

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I remember reading (here or somewhere referenced from here) that the Sharp 9000 was using a "new version of the 720x1280 DMD", that was supposedly optimized for front projection. Wouldn't that be the 12-degree DMD? Or is there a HD-1 rev.B or something?

If the Sharp is using a 10-degree DMD and there's a 12-degree DMD and spiral color wheel coming next year, that'd be another great argument for waiting another generation before taking the plunge...

I sure would like to know if the Marantz's 1394 is HD 5C capable, though. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

[This message has been edited by JustMike (edited 10-04-2001).]

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
If you look at the Sharp 9000 manual it reads 800:1 contrast ratio. When I viewed the Sharp I felt that it didn't look like 1100:1 contrast ratio, of course the dork salesman wouldn't let me have the remote. When I asked if they had calibrated it with Avia or Video Essentials he looked at me kinda goofy and said no. On the brightness issue, I never felt like I was seeing a projector with 800 lumens, unless they had the Sharp switched to the 600 setting, which I didn't know it had until after I viewed it. It was shown on an 80" wide Greyhawk. I also felt the colors were sort of bland but, ths could be because of the out of the box setup.

I was very amazed with the lack of screen door and the quietness of the projector. I'm probably going back for a second look!

Concerning the HD-2 DMD chip. I didn't think this would be out for sometime yet. I wouldn't think any of the projectors due out in November would have them.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Tom- If you are referring to the Sharp manual posted by Spizz, that is a preliminary manual. On Sharp's website, as well as Texas Instrument's website, they both list the Sahrp as having 1100:1 contrast ratio. I believe the 800:1 was a preliminary spec.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Gladiator, ok....thanks! I just didn't think that I was seeing a projector with that kind of contrast ratio, however, it probably wasn't set up for optimum picture quality....still I think your eyes should be the judge on picture quality and not the specs.

Take care.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tom- you should go back and have a second look, the first time I viewed the 9000Z at my local dealer, they didn't make any adjustments to calibrate the picture, and it looked just ok. There is also a Gamma control button, that will have an effect on picture quality as well as the color temp and red and blue controls. The theater mode on the remote will also change from 600 to 800 lumens and vice versa. If you can, bring a few DVD's and see if they'll let you make some adjustments. That's what I did, and was happy with the result. You are right on when you say specs don't matter, look at all the happy owners of the Seleco HT200DM.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Tom, if you don't mind travelling, I saw the 9000 at Glenn Poors Audio Video in Champaign (on a 9 foot wide 16:9 1.2 gain microperf). And they let me have the remote! They are also a Marantz dealer. Hopefully they'll get a 12S1 when it comes out.

[This message has been edited by Augie (edited 10-05-2001).]

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Hey Tom,

I returned to LaserLand today and saw the projector again. The $800 SharpVision (DaLite) high-gain screen had been replaced with a $3000 tab-tension Grayhawk. I didn't think it looked any better, and I think it was less bright. You might try to see this projector on a white screen. I'm not sure the Grayhawk's tradeoffs are appropriate for a projector with this one's brightness/contrast combination.

------------------

Mike Kobb

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
According to the Marantz Europe web page, the 12S1 will have 1100:1 contrast and brightness of 700 (I assume lumens).

Go to http://www.marantz.com/hifi/europe/index.html and select Products->Product Overview->Projectors

Sounds like this things is almost identical to the Z9000 int these respects.

-phil

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.