AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the "I'm too lazy, can someone just summarize this for me" post - but it *is* my first... :D Truth is, it's not that I'm too lazy; I'm just short on time. Haven't done much w/the HTPC for a few months... now I'm trying to get everything all set up for the Super Bowl (just like last year, I'm expecting a house full of guests and here I am at the 11th hour trying to make all the technology harmonize!)

Anyway, I've seen bits and pieces about people using MyHD to output DVD... that didn't used to work very well (at all!) What happened? Is this a DVI thing? Am I screwed because I bought too soon when only the lowly MDP-100 was available? :D

Likewise, has capture via S-vid input improved? (Also used to be pretty bad.) If so, is this only on 120 or 100 as well? Does Dscaler work with MyHD capturing S-vid input?

Lastly, can someone tell me what the latest driver & software versions are (and when they came out?)

Thanks for indulging me! :)

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
As far as DVD playing, you still need a MV flag removal filter -- I prefer AnyDVD over DVD-IDLE/Region Free. The work that has been done in the MyHD software has been more towards fixing bugs and improving the DVD navigation.

There also has been some work on the AMD/Dual Processor/HyperThread problems.

Cant help you on S-Video. I don't think anything changed, but then I don't use it.

Latest Beta driver/application is available on the MIT site.

ftp://ftp.mitinc.co.kr/pub/MyHD/test/v1.62.3/

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I currently just started using the s-video input and other then the MyHD cannot playback files that it creates and you need to use your soundcard to capture the audio (instead of the audio inputs on the dongle), also you need to have your favorite compression codec installed (I've used DiVx 5.0x) and it seems to be working and looking great, of course, I have a great signal to send to it to scale up. Playing back the files is easy, as long as you have Dscaler installed and a dscaler-capable card installed. Cliff went over this with me in good detail in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=358653

Jim

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the feedback, guys - and the links!

jkaiser- is the latest beta stable? Do you know if it's applicable to both the 100 and 120?

I'm still puzzled about how & when DVD playback went from "looks pretty bad" to "looks great"... can anyone else shed any light on this? Is this primarily due to the DVI output (and thus only applies to the 120?)

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Since it is from MIT, I believe it is the latest Beta Release.

It is very stable for me (myHD 100 using on card SPDIF). I have not tried HD Capture in case you are thinking about recording the SB.

I don't think DVD quality has changed any, it is just the navigation that has changed. I don't have DVI so can not comment. I connect my NEC LT150 via RGB.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I don't think the DVD playback problems were ever a picture quality issue. It has always looked great on my system! What were issues; like audio drop-outs during black passages and no navigation capabilities, have been addressed. It's not perfect yet but it is a huge step forward for the DVD playback functionality.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
The Latest beta works fine for me....I have a 120, works great, much better reception than the 100. I dont use it for DVD playback, though. I prefer the functionality of TheaterTek. It looks good but the overscan is a bit too much for my tastes. There is a utility to try and adjust this, but I've only briefly played with it. I dont have DVI.

Bottom line, IMHO MyHD-120 is the best HD PC card right now.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet! Thanks for the input, guys.

Wayne- what utility are you referring to? Is there a thread on that?

BenDover - thanks so much for those links - I think this was precisely what I was looking for.

A couple more questions if anyone can answer... How exactly does DVD playback compare to XCard + PDI + DScaler? I don't necessarily mean relative PQ (although that'd be nice to know if anyone has done the comparison) but rather is it an all digital signal path? Does MyHD pull the signal digitally off the PCI bus, scale it, deinterlace it and send it out digitally via DVI (if you have the MDP-120)?

Still trying to work out this S-video issue as well... (And maybe I'm confusing this with DVD playback in my recollection that PQ was less-than-great.) vfrjim's response was confusing... I'm talking about capturing thhe signal from my DirecTiVo, and using MyHD to up-scale & deinterlace & output to the display. Does this work? (Does it work *well*? Is the PQ as good as using a capture card + Dscaler?) I don't particularly care about using MyHD to capture an input from S-video to be recorded to hard drive - for me, that's where this signal is coming from - the HDD on my D-Tivo. I'm just interested in it as a scaler/deinterlacer/processor for an SD input signal. Anyone?

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Sorry, but I do not use DirecTV, I am feeding my s-video in with C-band/4DTV (think 10' Dish) so the quality is near dvd 480i before feeding it into the MyHD card, but since my TV absolutely RUINS anything that is sent to it via s-video, the MyHD makes it look fantastic. I didn't mean to confuse you, I thought my signature spoke for what I was feeding it.

Jim

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool. Thanks again, Wayne.

Jim- Sorry, wasn't paying attention to your sig.

I read the thread you linked to, but it's basically n/a for me since I don't want to *record* what's coming in via S-video. Have you done that? Have you just viewed the captured & up-scaled input (in realtime) without actually recording it to disk?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Out of curiosity, as MyHd is an HDTV recorder (or at least that is why I purchased mine), does it offer the most basic functionality of a bookmark for hdtv files yet?

Does it have the ability to associate the number keys with whatever the desired number of seconds one wishes for skipping ahead and skipping backwards (instead of the scheme that was introduced maybe 10 months ago where it mapped a few keys to fixed increments)?

Does it have the ability to skip forward if the file is somehow missing whatever it is looking for to be able to skip forward (and yet the scrollbars work for moving forward and backward - so it could just extrapolate using file position)?

I'd really like to be able to sell this to clients - but it seems to be lacking some polish for its basic function (recording and playing back hdtv) - so it requires a lot of patience - something folks spending a lot of money don't seem to have a lot of - at least the people I deal with that want vcr ease of use.

I could care less if it plays DVDs - as this is already provided by ZoomPlayer, TheaterTek and others. I have that covered.

I just want the basics to work, and work well, work flawlessly They seem to have drifted off of center on this concept.

On the positive side, using my maybe 8 month old software version, it does record and playback hdtv files with zero crashes in this time - and a beautiful picture. I don't want to bash the product. I love the product. I am just a bit disappointed in the direction they have taken away from the basics purpose of an hdtv recorder.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Yes I viewed it real-time, and it works great, unfortunately I am stuck on VGA out right now (my digital input board on my TV is toast and they sent me a Korean/Japanese model) so it is reconverted to analog before viewing, but it is great, I will be viewing via DVI when my new input board shows up, hopefully one with English menus this time :)

Jim

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How exactly does DVD playback work (relative to XCard + PDI + DScaler?) I don't necessarily mean relative PQ (although that'd be nice to know if anyone has done the comparison) but rather is it an all digital signal path? Does MyHD pull the signal digitally off the PCI bus, scale it, deinterlace it and send it out digitally via DVI (if you have the MDP-120)?

Come on Cliff - I know you're watching this thread, and I know you know the answer to this. Don't make me repeat my infamous "Are we there yet" thread... :D

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
VERY cool. Thank you, Cliff!

Have you ever had the chance to compare it to the XCard/PDI solution that was all the rage around here a few months ago?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ElvisIncognito
Have you ever had the chance to compare it to the XCard/PDI solution that was all the rage around here a few months ago?
I've asked this question probably a dozen times and never got an answer.... :confused:

:cool:

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ElvisIncognito
VERY cool. Thank you, Cliff!

No I have not.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.