AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

I am in the US and have the Philips Q50 DVD player.

I am experiencing the random video freeze problem.

I checked the firmware version on my DVD player ...its 4.13 with P code of P66

The US customer support does not have the 4.15 firware upgrade( I spoke to them yesterday). Can I use the 4.15 firmware upgrade for my US model?? Has anyone done this?? If yes, with what kind of results??

Thanks in advance.

:)

-Pritam

·
Registered
57 Posts
I installed 4.15i on my unit a few months ago and it fixed the off-centered picture problem. I never had any of the freeze issues that others have talked about before I upgraded, which I did within a week of buying the unit. It appears to be completely safe for US models.

Others in the US have stated having problems after updating to 4.15o, so I would stay clear of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a US Q50 with the 4.13f firmware. I am getting very bad stair stepping in the chroma and the unit is locking up.

Does the 4.15i fix the stair stepping issue?

I contacted Philips in the US and their support sucks! They say that they have not heard of any issue with the Q50 and it is NOT upgradable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I upgraded my q50 to 4.15o and the freezing problem is probably worse than before the upgrade. Usually I can't get past the main menu of a disc. The only way I've found to watch the main feature is to press while it's starting up. I got the q50 because I have a Philips 30" widescreen and thought they would integrate well together. Was I ever wrong.

I'm thinking of junking the q50. Any suggestions for a reliable progressive scan unit?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've tried both 4.15i and 4.15o on my US-model Q50. In my experience, 4.15i is completely usable, whereas 4.15o still has, or reintroduces the various "freezing" problems. I'd encourage you to try 4.15i before you return the unit.

Philips has a lot to learn about customer service, but in the end the Q50/4.15i/regionfree/PAL-progressive is a very nice player for the money, IMHO.

Phil

·
Registered
13 Posts
I tried to call customer support for the known problems with the Q50 and the 4.13f firmware but they are no help at all. They state that they know of no issues and the unit cannot be upgraded. There is NO technical support at all.

Since running out of options with Philips I upgraded the unit to 4.15i and have more problems than before. They are as follows:

Horrible stair-stepping in chroma

dvd's freeze

dvd's skip constantly

audio dropout

This unit is going back and I will NEVER deal with Philips again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I just got more and more frustrated trying to get a dvd t play on that q50. So after reading many threads and searching various leads, I decided to replace the sleek silver piece of crap with a Panasonic RP91. I haven't read anything bad about it. And dammit, I don't think I should have to download upgrades for my appliances to get them to work. What's next -- Frigidaire requires a firmware upgrade to properly freeze ice-cream? These guys should get it right before they foist their wares on the un"ware"y public. Sorry for the bad pun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Q40 and live in the European Union. I'm a new user so I apologize if any of these questions has been answered already (even though I searched the forum exhaustively for answers).

Could someone tell me if the firmware upgrades are region-specific (in other words, if they are meant only for US / Europe / China etc or if they're compatible on that level)?

Any thoughts on 4.15o / 4.15i from people in Europe? Which do you think is best?

thx in advance

·
Registered
57 Posts
jrusso,

If you are still looking for the 4.5i version, let me know and I can send you a copy. I've had it loaded on my Q50 since March and it has never missed a beat of any kind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i got a q50 with firmware 4.15.N-1 020219 P68 5.1.14

I want to upgrade to 4.15o or 4.15i because i got some problems with

the n version but i realy cant get the firmware up in my player,

i burn the firmware on a cdrw with nero5.0 like the method described in this forum but everytime i put the cd in the player, it say Disc Error.

i use: ISO level1 mode 2/XA Close disc sesion , all kinds of combinations i tried, i start to think my player is not upgradeble...... Help!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi, StarWarz,

I had same experience with you about Philips Q50 with firmware version 4.15N. It cannot be 'downgraded' to 4.15I. What problems did you encounter for the version 4.15N?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well i only have some problems with the mp3 decoder.

At first time the mp3 sounds good but when i pluged in my

headphone i noticed some wird artefects. You don't hear it well

through the speakers. Its hard to subscribe how it sounds and with

some music you hear it and some don't.

If you for instants copy the cd of UB40 ''labour of love ii'' you hear it very

well...

when i tried the mp3's on a onther player it sounds good and even on the q50 player in the shop because it runs with 4.13....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kwokyan
Hi, StarWarz,

I had same experience with you about Philips Q50 with firmware version 4.15N. It cannot be 'downgraded' to 4.15I. What problems did you encounter for the version 4.15N?
I have 4.15N and while DVD is perfect, An SVCD burned on CD-R which works fine on a Cyberhome player has hickups (short freezes) on the Q50. Also, I burned a CD full of VBR MP3s (ripper: EAC, encoder: LAME) and they are also not perfect (still need to try different encoding settings).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.