AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to archive my 8mm and some VHS tapes. They need editing, but I do not have time right now, but am concerned about saving what I do have. My thoughts are to use a VHS/DVD Recorder to immediately save my existing tapes. Eventually I hope to put the newly created DVD material on a dedicated hard drive for future editing. My main current concern is immediate convenience, but yet have later flexibility. Of course I realize that I would have to connect my 8mm camcorder to the DVD recorder. Does this plan make sense? Would I lose quality by this method? Nothing is S-VHS.

If this makes sense, what recorders are recommended? A lot of the posts are older, so do not talk about the latest models. I do have a HD Toshiba TV with HDMI inputs, so that would be convenient (remote control, etc.) if Toshiba makes a satisfactory unit, but would not be mandatory.

Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. How do DVD hard drives connect to the LAN or other PC? I do not see a Cat5 port mentioned in output specifications.

Sorry about all of the typos in my thread title--it makes me look like an idiot!

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
DVDRs don't usually connect to a LAN... one Canadian Pioneer with analog tuner does, and one or more older Toshiba did.

The HDD in the Philips is captive in the machine and can only read from disc, line input, or USB, and then only certain file types. Similar Philips units for Asia and Europe have much more functionality than Holllywood-bound North American units.

·
Registered
929 Posts
A VHS/DVD combo would be of no help copying 8mm (assuming magnetic, not 8mm film). Go for an HDD unit; you can do a lot of editting, combining (from any combination of titles on the hdd), separating, resequencing, with just the dvdr.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts