AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this question is getting harder to answer each year, but....

What's the latest and greatest recommendations on

Motherboard

CPU Speed/type

Memory type and count

Operating System and Ver.

for mid and high end HTPCs?

I'm talking about barebones stability here.

The MetaFax is getting a bit out-dated.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I would guess a system that runs at FSB 800, which means Intel. The Asus P4P800 is a nice motherboard, and a matching processor would be a P4 2.4c or higher. The Intels can be overclocked very easily without paying a price in the cooling department, and they automatically shut down if they are too hot. I haven't kept up with memory, but I think PC3200 would do. 512MB is sufficient for most applications, and adding more doesn't improve performance by much. For OS, I would choose WinXP sp1 or Win2000.

Al

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
-> Mobo/CPU/RAM/Case:

Mobo- Asus P4C800-E (be careful when flashing to the latest Bios, just follow the instructions at abxzone.com)

CPU- well, the BEST, is the new Pentium 4 Extreme Edition that was just announced(estimated price $600)!!! otherwise a 2.8c is okay(around $200 after the Intel Price cut on Oct. 26).

RAM- Hynix BT-D43 (look for these chips!) (you may want to search for my posts on the hardcore overclocking sites)

Case- there is no best

Power supply- Fortron 400-60PFN

-> Graphics Card (Display): Gaming and general video output?

9800 Pro

-> Capture Card : Best for general capture and compat with dscaler?

Flyvideo

-> Audio Card:

Maudio Revo

-> DVD DRIVE:

Sony 510

-> HDTV Card

MyHD-120

Mandatory Accessories

use the Zalman 7000AlCu heatsink fan

use Artic Silver Ceramique thermal paste, following their instructions on their website

use as many Enermax Adjustable or Panaflo L1A case fans as possible (these fans are quiet)

Make sure you have more air going in than going out (keep positive pressure). This way air won't be sucked in through your optical drives, which can dirty the lens and electronics

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.