AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone seems to claim that the Sharp AQUOS are the best LCD sets you can buy (even though their design seems kind of uninspired to me). But then again, everyone seems to be raving about the image quality on the new Samsung LNR series.

I am in the market for an LCD, but I don't know which company to go with. I was planning on getting one of the Samsung LNR models until I read about Sharp. The Sharp models seem to have more connections while the Samsung has a pnp VGA port, but I want some opinions on which one definitely has the better image quality. I'd also like to hear which one handles 480i material better. I've been told that the LNR series has no lag with outputting 480i, but I don't know about the Sharps.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Megalith,

When I was looking at buying a 32" LCD about 2 months ago I narrowed it down to the Samsung LNR328W and the Sharps (was probably going to get the one w/ analog tuner). I found it very difficult to compare PQ in the store and given that I strongly preferred the aesthetics of the Samsung (somewhat important given the set is in the bedroom) and could get it for less money than the Sharp, I got the Samsung. However, I was sure to purchase the set at a B&M with a 30 day return policy. Figured I would take it home, test it out and bring it back for a Sharp if I didn't love it. Well I still have the Samsung and couldn't be happier. It requires a little bit of tuning in the user menu to tone down the colors. Reds in particular are a little too puncy OOTB. But I was able to correct for this and think the PQ is great. I use the set in my bedroom so I spend a lot of time viewing in the dark. I was concerned that the black levels would be poor but was very pleasantly surprised - blacks look black and very good detail in dark scenes. Since I've never owned the Sharp I really can't comment on one vs. the other. The Sharp does potentially offer additional connections and has more settings in the user menu that you can tweak. The Samsung's inputs are totally fine for my purposes (wasn't going to use a cablecard and am just using a regular component DVD player) and I find the user menus are easy to navigate and have all of the basic settings you would want (some complain that the backlight isn't directly adjustable but that hasn't been an issue for me).

In order for others to provide feedback you may want to describe your viewing patterns and what you plan to connect. The Samsung provides 1:1 pixel mapping over VGA and is supposedly very easy to use w/ a computer. I would say that HD is fantastic, DVDs look great over component and SD is surprisingly good - very watchable. Can't comment on gaming or video lag b/c I don't have a gaming system hooked up. Haven't noticed any lag on SD though - I have my SA3250HD STB connected via component and my DVD player connected via component w/ progressive scan turned off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mega -- New Sony S32A10 has made them the standard bearer for LCD's right now. $1999 MSRP -- I just got mine from Sears! for $1799 on a two day sale -- makes this set untouchable by current Sharps or Samsungs. Current LCD rankings: 1. Sony 2. Sharp 3. Panasonic (excellent, overlooked set) 4. Phillips 5. Samsung (horribly oversaturated colors. gave me a headache within one hour of watching and adjusting)

Sony is unequalled in cabinet aesthetics and build quality, ease of set-up/adjustment and navigation (WEGA gate), and PQ definition and response.

I give Sharp the slightest of nods in Color accuracy and a little bigger nod in black level.

Sharp cabinets, with side non-detachable speakers are now an anachronism and must be changed if they want to sell sets to anyone with tight quarters...

(I also own a Sharp 26GA5U and run both thru TWC HD-DVR in Queens)

Currently Samsungs are horribly overpriced with the arrival of the new Sony and the upcoming new sharps at 1799 for a 32".

Double L

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Sony does look like a nice set. I like the styling much more than the new Sharp. I haven't seen it in person, so I can't judge the PQ.

The big deal breaker for me w/the Sony is that it only has 1 component & 1 HDMI input. Between my cable box, dvd player, and XBox, I need 3 inputs in some combination. The new Sharp & Samsungs both have 2 components/1 HDMI. The new Philips 32" (32PF9630A) has 2 HDMI/1 component. The Philips actualy looks like a really nice set, but I'm holding out judgment until I hear some good reviews on it.

I definitely agree that the Samsungs better start coming down in price soon if they want to stay competitive. The days of paying more than $2k for a top-name 32" LCD are soon coming to an end.

Enjoy your new set!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublel9
Mega -- New Sony S32A10 has made them the standard bearer for LCD's right now. $1999 MSRP -- I just got mine from Sears! for $1799 on a two day sale -- makes this set untouchable by current Sharps or Samsungs. Current LCD rankings: 1. Sony 2. Sharp 3. Panasonic (excellent, overlooked set) 4. Phillips 5. Samsung (horribly oversaturated colors. gave me a headache within one hour of watching and adjusting)

Sony is unequalled in cabinet aesthetics and build quality, ease of set-up/adjustment and navigation (WEGA gate), and PQ definition and response.

I give Sharp the slightest of nods in Color accuracy and a little bigger nod in black level.

Sharp cabinets, with side non-detachable speakers are now an anachronism and must be changed if they want to sell sets to anyone with tight quarters...

(I also own a Sharp 26GA5U and run both thru TWC HD-DVR in Queens)

Currently Samsungs are horribly overpriced with the arrival of the new Sony and the upcoming new sharps at 1799 for a 32".

Double L
1 component?? You expect that for budget LCDS.. Not ones that cost 2 grand. Shame on you Sony!!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Quote:
Current LCD rankings: 1. Sony 2. Sharp 3. Panasonic (excellent, overlooked set) 4. Phillips 5. Samsung (horribly oversaturated colors. gave me a headache within one hour of watching and adjusting)

Not trying to be defensive but do you mind telling us your experiece w/ the different sets you mentioned and how exactly you came to this conclusion? Just curious b/c you sound like you have pretty definitive opinions on five different sets. And one thing to note is that the panels that Sony is using in this TV are produced in a JV b/t Sony and Samsung so the panels in the TVs you rate #1 and #5 are likely identical.

And as far as Samsung pricing goes, not sure where you guys are looking but a 32" LNR can be had for well well under $2k. I paid less than that 6 weeks ago and we all know what has been happening to prices lately. MSRP is pretty meaningless.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:

Double L
You can get the Samsung for under $1600 online.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Has anyone bought or even seen the Philips 26'' LCD at CC? am considering it along with sony, sharp and sammy..wanted to get some opinion on it. did not see much response on the thread that I posted on it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.