AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed over the last few updates that everytime I play a Blu-ray from my planet earth collection or Ironman, TMT frequently stutters during complex scenes or panning type scenes. When I chose to disable HA, it goes away! (most of the time)

What could be the issue?

My system:
MB: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L
VC: MSI NX8500GT-MTD256EH
P: Intel Pentium E2220 Allendale 2.4GHz Dual Core -- OC'd to 2.88
RAM: 4GB SDRAM DDR2 1000

Running it in WMC xp

I'm running the latest drivers from Arcsoft, SlySoft and Nvidia

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtight /forum/post/15452767

I've noticed over the last few updates that everytime I play a Blu-ray from my planet earth collection or Ironman, TMT frequently stutters during complex scenes or panning type scenes. When I chose to disable HA, it goes away! (most of the time)

What could be the issue?

My system:
MB: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L
VC: MSI NX8500GT-MTD256EH
P: Intel Pentium E2220 Allendale 2.4GHz Dual Core -- OC'd to 2.88
RAM: 4GB SDRAM DDR2 1000

Running it in WMC xp

I'm running the latest drivers from Arcsoft, SlySoft and Nvidia

After I installed .128 I now also get stuttering. I'm in vista on an old AMD Nforce 4. Nvidia 180

TMT seems to have very unstable poor quality development

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Realtight,

In XP MC a 8500GT card was considered marginal for supporting 1080i Mpeg2 decoding without dropping frames and/or stuttering and a 8600GS or better was reccomended. Since H.264 1080p/24 decoding requires more GPU power then Mpeg2 1080i I am not surprised that your have stuttering on your system usiing HA. When not using HA the load is being shifted to your CPU so your CPU utilization is probably quite high.

Also lots of motion or panning requires a lot more processing then static scenes since the there are lot more blocks of change data involved between each full frame block.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/15456962

Realtight,

In XP MC a 8500GT card was considered marginal for supporting 1080i Mpeg2 decoding without dropping frames and/or stuttering and a 8600GS or better was reccomended. Since H.264 1080p/24 decoding requires more GPU power then Mpeg2 1080i I am not surprised that your have stuttering on your system usiing HA. When not using HA the load is being shifted to your CPU so your CPU utilization is probably quite high.

Also lots of motion or panning requires a lot more processing then static scenes since the there are lot more blocks of change data involved between each full frame block.

Crap, I was wondering if that might have something to do with it... My cpu was running around 40-50% on those scenes. What would you recommend as a better card (keeping with Nvidia) that would do this and everything else HD that is also fanless?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have an HTPC built with:

(processor) Intel T2300 1.6GHz Dual Core

(memory) 2GB DDRAM

(graphics card) ASUS EAH3450

I'm currently running Vista Ultimate x86, and I've got both Arcsoft's TotalMedia Theatre and PowerDVD8. With TMT I get stuttering on Blu-ray playback regardless of whether or not I have hardware acceleration on or off, while PowerDVD seems to play the same discs just fine. If it weren't for the fact that BD playback in PDVD won't work correctly with YXY, I'd be more than content just using it. But since TMT seems to be the only player capable of doing the necessary vertical stretch (via YXY) for constant image height, I'm stuck trying to get it to work.

I'd happily go back to XP Media Center, if it weren't for the fact that TMT playback of BDs on that OS suffered from horrible jaggies.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Does anybody have a link to the update that preceded .128?

·
Registered
573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrips /forum/post/15571877

Does anybody have a link to the update that preceded .128?

Ok. I got the .126 patch and this one doesn't cause stuttering.

So I guess it means that .128 in my case at least proved to be faulty.

Anyone wants to elaborate here?

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Stuttering here as well, something I have never had before with TMT under VMCE. Well this sucks.Are they aware there may be a problem at Arcsoft and doing anything to fix it?

Terry

·
Registered
45 Posts
Stuttering here too - but I'm using a amd X2 5200+, 9600GT and MCE2005 and a LG GCC-H20L drive. I know in the past the AVC/MPEG-4 blu-ray discs worked fine, but now, with both version .125 and .128 they stutter badly. Funny thing is - if I rip these to my hard drive with AnyDVDHD and play from folder, they work great. So - I'm not sure if I should get a faster processor and motherboard, udpgrade to Vista, update the LG firmware, or just complain to Arcsoft some more.

I really don't want to rip every disc I have since it takes quite a while - is anyone else with noticing the difference between playing from disc and playing from folder?

What a pain - I'd hate to get a stand alone player since I have HD-DVD's too, and I don't want to run another cable to my projector (currently using VGA until I upgrade my receiver or get a processor).

·
Banned
439 Posts
I do NOT own a BD hardware player.

I do NOT use NAS.

I do have three ten foot projector "walls".

My Gbit/sec 'old fashioned' network drives each projector with BD hard drive based material without stuttering.

I have read thru this thread and find it interesting.

Reminds me of when I wrote software for one of the super fast, postcript capable, Toshiba laser print engines.

Same basic symptons as here. The printer would stall in the middle of a complex document. A more greedy end of the pipeline device running out of data.

A chain is no stronger than its weakest link.

You need to deal with two design issues.

1- sustained thruput and 2- maximum latency between stages in the pipeline.

The fact that certain combinations cause stuttering and some do NOT, points to the buffer size and buffer handling mechanism. Someone needs to increase the buffer size used for each stage and/or optimize the mechanism used to request/respond to requests for more data.

The Toshiba laser printer 'stuttering' problem was corrected in two days by simply increasing the buffer used by the printer and by the postcript software. Really NOT a difficult thing. Unfortunately these days, these mechanisms are buried so deep in proprietary hardware and software products that it would be easier to just write a new OS! ... just kidding.

Sorry you guys need to struggle so much with NAS, Seagate, Arcsoft, et. al., to get these things to work right.

That why I like reading real books! Buffers are very stable.

iq100

one of perhaps a hundred, BANNED from J. River Interact (aka INTERCEPT)

delete my ideas by posting some of your own

·
Banned
7,964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iq100 /forum/post/15586605

I have read thru this thread and find it interesting.

Reminds me of when I wrote software for one of the super fast, postcript capable, Toshiba laser print engines.

Same basic symptons as here. The printer would stall in the middle of a complex document. A more greedy end of the pipeline device running out of data.

Your post uses a lot of letters, but says nothing which anyone here can use to solve their problems.

I use a G45 based mobo (ASUS version) and TMT .128 and do not have studdering.

From what I have read on the Arcsoft forums, the 8200 and 780G are both too weak to do everything needed of them. When I owned both types of boards, I had to overclock the GPU to get smooth output.

I suspect the G35 is in the same boat as the two newer boards I mentioned.

Try overclocking the GPU, see if that helps.

Also, I read of issues with the ATI vid cards. Did not pay much attention, since I do not own one. Go to the Arcsoft Forum and see if you can find the issues.

·
Banned
439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage /forum/post/15586932

... Your post uses a lot of letters, but says nothing which anyone here can use to solve their problems. ...

Congratulations, you solved the problem with fewer letters!

Seriously, if I could solve the problem I would.

Just tried to frame the issue.

Great software would come with the ability to test the installed environment, report results, and adjust buffer sizes appropriately, even adjust max stable GPU clock rate, if that would provide a fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage /forum/post/15586932

Also, I read of issues with the ATI vid cards. Did not pay much attention, since I do not own one. Go to the Arcsoft Forum and see if you can find the issues.

The OP was asking about nvidia:
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtight /forum/post/15459114

What would you recommend as a better card (keeping with Nvidia) that would do this and everything else HD that is also fanless?

If OP is willing to consider ATI, then HD 4350 or 4550 might provide a $60 or less solution:
http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3430
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3420
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ion=ati+hd4550
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ion=ati+hd4350

iq100

perfectly average intelligence works best

·
Banned
7,964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iq100 /forum/post/15587165

The OP was asking about nvidia:

applesandrice is not, hence the mention.

Quote:
If OP is willing to consider ATI, then HD 4350 or 4550 might provide a $60 or less solution:
http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3430
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3420
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ion=ati+hd4550
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ion=ati+hd4350

iq100

perfectly average intelligence works best

Which is why the OP should research ATI issues on the manufacturer's board prior to buying an ATI card. He just might find himself fixing one issue and replacing it with a score of others.

Sometimes, perfectly average intelligence is not enough.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Just wanted to post a public apology to iq100. I was having a bad several days and took it out on you.

I was in the wrong and should not have done so. You did not deserve my "verbal" assualts.

My apologies.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I have Vista x64, TMT and a 9800GX2 video card. I also get stuttering playing BD (disc or folder) using v128.

Apparently this is a TMT problem. Arcsoft will tell you to uninstall and go back to an older version. Supposedly the automatic update will not go back to 128, but v126 instead.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I believe they made changes to the rendering engine in .128 which is probably what is causing the anomaly.

I tried .128 and got the stutter as well, went back to .126 and no problems.

·
Registered
45 Posts
.126 is still a problem for me - just on disc playback though. This is only with AVC/MPEG-4 encodes. - XP MCE2005 and 9600GT card and latest driver. 125 also stuttered too. I was going to see if older nvidia drivers had any effect.

·
Banned
439 Posts
cybrsage,

Thanks, apology accepted.

Hey, I have bad days myself, where I verbally abuse myself.

Keep up your good work.

iq100

one of perhaps 100 banned from J. River's Interact (aka, INTERCEPT).

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
They rushed .128 out the door too quickly. They wanted to get it out before all their people went on holiday vacation, so they could include the new encryption keys and such (that part is a guess from me).

Hopefully, they will have a new update soon.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My apologies, but I can't tell if I got an answer to my question or not. Are you fellows saying there's some issue between my video card (EAH3450) and my processor (Intel T2300)?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts