Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some news at last! Got this earlier in the week:

"Dear Partners,

The biggest cable and Satellite event is nearly upon us, and we would like to take this opportunity to invite you to join us at the event to be held in London’s newest international exhibition center, ExCel. You will be able to be see cutting edge technology in the field of Digital Video Broadcasting and our latest DVB offerings . As a leading player in the digital video market place we pride ourselves with technology that works for you at home and in the office.

Description

MEDIACAST 2001 will be held between the 21st to the 23rd of May. Hauppauge will be launching the new Win/TV Nova T card which will allow for the UK consumer to watch and record twelve Free to Air Digital terrestrial channels currently being broadcasted without the need to subscribe to either OnDigital or SKY. We will also be demonstrating our latest products for use with broadband internet delivery.

If you would like to arrange a meeting and personal demonstration at the show, please email or contact either Umesh Moudgil or Yehia Oweiss directly.

About ExCel

ExCel is London's new international exhibition center, which opened in Autumn 2000. The UK's newest purpose built venue, ExCeL comprises of 90,000 sq. metres of modern exhibition, conference and event space. Built on a 100 acre site in the Royal Docks, just six 6 miles from Trafalgar Square, ExCeL is set alongside a mile and a half of unique waterside scenery. The centre is serviced by national and international transport links, including London City Airports just 2 minutes away.

When?

21st - 23rd May 2001

Where?

ExCeL, LONDON, E16 1XL

Booth name & number?

Hauppauge , R65

How to get there?

see the ExCel website

Contact ExCel

+44 (0)20 8928 5050

If your interested in Visiting Hauppauge at Mediacast then you can register

at the Mediacast website

ExCeL is situated within London's Docklands – the area that stretches from Tower Bridge to beyond the Royal Docks. The ExCeL site lies on the north side of the Royal Victoria Dock and is the largest development in East London since the construction of Canary Wharf in 1988.

London Docklands has been witness to one of the most exciting urban developments in Europe and has become London's most dynamic and fast-growing area. ExCeL is surrounded by The Millennium Dome, The Cutty Sark, The Thames Barrier, The Tower of London and Canary Wharf in addition to a wide range of luxury shops, pubs, wine bars and health clubs.

Best Regards

Hauppauge UK"

------------------

Paul RB

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Thanks for the release, Paul. To add some seasoning to this announcement, IIRC, the Nova is based on the Technotrends/Fujitsu reference design, including a Philips PCI bridge. I'm not sure if any other DVB-T cards of the same design have made it to market yet.

------------------

Dan

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Dan

Is the design you're talking about the one with a saa7146 chip. If so that's the code I stripped out of multidec a while back. Looks like I might have to add it back http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Hopefully we can add a CAM module at some later stage to get the other channels but even with just the FTA ones this is going to be a very cool toy to hack around with.

John

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Is anybody going along to this event btw, if so can I tag along?

John

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
John: yep. Looks like you can dip directly (or at least one step away) from the source--the code seems to have settled and you could probably even use much of the recording and playback code, etc., if you don't mind porting Linux code.
http://linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/DVB/driver/

The source appears to be Video4Linux. Also, there has been substantial discussion about the Nova on the mailing list.
http://www.linuxtv.org/mailinglists/...b/threads.html

I think it would be worthwhile to have an alternative PCI bridge to the Bt8x8. Other appropriate PCI bridges (besides the SAA7146) include the Zoran 36057/67. Code for it probably wouldn't have been in the multidec code, but you never know--and I would be interested in knowing. Other Linux code is available for it.

To complete the sweep on the more well known PCI bridges, I might add that the DStreamDVB sat cards are starting to hit the store shelves. dScaler works on the s-video in of the Pinnacle card, according to TimW. If we are so inclined, we could probably ask him for docs on the demodulator chip and tuner chip, but, of course, the many complications of MPEG-2 software decoding would be difficult to get around.

In any event, a more card-agnostic dScaler could be achieved by adding the SAA7146 code, killing several birds with one stone...

edit: apparently, the later Nova DVB-S cards don't have hardware decoders on them. I'm not sure what that means for the DVB-T card, but it's something to keep in mind.

------------------

Dan

[This message has been edited by dschmelzer (edited 05-20-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.