301 - 320 of 582 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/20559777

Basically you have five choices for VC-1:

- MPC Video Decoder (DXVA)

- ffmpeg (MPC Video Decoder's ffmpeg, ffdshow Video Decoder's libavcodec)

- WMVideo Decoder DMO (Windows' built-in, ffdshow Video Decoder's wmv9)

- ArcSoft Video Decoder

- CyberLink Video Decoder

MPC Video Decoder (DXVA) does not work with madVR. All the other work with madVR and are almost equally good. MPC HomeCinema looks for a video decoder (transform filter) in this order:

1. Options > External Filters: Preferred filters

2. Options > Internal Filters > Source Filters: checked filters

3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\DirectShow\\Preferr ed

4. Registered filter of the highest merit value.

Thank, Renethx, that is very helpful as I stumble about. My problem now is getting madvr with subtitles.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign /forum/post/20559792

My problem now is getting madvr with subtitles.

Options > Playback > Open settings > Auto-load subtitles: checked?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sheesh, I'd really love to see some screenshots of what everyone is talking about here. Life would be so much simpler.

I have a question which has probably already been answered, but since I'm barely able to keep up with what everyone is talking about, I'm probably missing something really obvious. I have madVR selected in Output. I'm using ReClock as the audio renderer. In External Filters I have Lav Cuvid Decoder preferred, and Lav Audio Decoder preferred. I'm able to play a couple .mkv and .avi files I have on my hard drive with no problems, and blurays seem to play without issue as well, but I have a couple .iso's from some fan edits that I'm trying to play and I can't get them to work. I think I read somewhere that madVR can't play some files, is this my issue?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Quote:
No code has to be inserted here.
Couple questions, why don't you list cuvid for video decoders?

Also I forget the reasoning for making registry changes in this situation like you have mentioned elsewhere. If it is checked in the first place mpchc looks in options-external filters what is the point of registry changes, did it have something to do with hallii?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I just watched Star Trek (2009) MKV with madvr. It looked and sounded so good I may build a shrine to Madshi.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I do have Auto-load subtitles checked under options, however when I right click MPC-HC subtitles is greyed out. I am not getting subtitles with any movie playing in MPC-HC using madvr.

If the movie plays with EVR custom and MPC Video Decoder which uses VC1(DXVA) internal filter I do get subtitles.

I still have haali and have not installed Lav

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Quote:
Obviously all these posters who ask which decoder to use are talking about AMD GPUs, aren't they?

Is it so difficult to understand my post?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Quote:
I wasn't talking about that post, it just reminded me of another post you made about editing the registry and was wondering the reasoning for the registry edit when making priority in mpc? but no your post wasnt dificult to understand.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
I explained in detail what registry change is necessary to do what task under what circumstance, didn't I?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk /forum/post/20561286

Excellent article on gpus for htpc use and lav/madvr/mpc.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4380/d...-gpus-shootout

Where can I get the Arcsoft TMT5 file (ASVid.ax) mentioned in the article. Is it accetable/legal for someone to post it here or send it to me in PM?

From the quide:

QUOTE Playing back interlaced VC-1 clips with the default codecs in MPC-HC usually results in a blank screen. To resolve this, the Arcsoft Video Decoder needs to be registered and used. (The WMV Decoder DMO codec is able to play back such clips, but it does software decode). After installing Arcsoft TMT (TMT 5 was used to test this out), the Arcsoft Video Decoder (ASVid.ax) was manually registered using the regsvr32 command in Administrator mode. This exposes the decoder for inclusion in the External Filters section in MPC-HC, as in the first picture of the gallery below. However, setting the decoder to Preferred doesn't enable its usage unless the checkactivate.dll from this doom9 post gets placed in the same folder as ASVid.ax. After this process, an interlaced VC-1 clip can be loaded into MPC-HC. In the default configuration, you will still end up with a blank screen. The VC-1 output compatibility of the LAV Splitter needs to be configured to reflect the presence of the Arcsoft VC-1 decoder, as in the rest of the screenshots in the gallery below. Note that this configuration is necessary only for AMD (and Intel) GPUs. NVIDIA GPUs have a open source decoder capable of playing back interlaced VC-1 clips in any DirectShow based player. We will cover that in the next section. END QUOTE

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
To use the ArcSoft decoder, you need to own ArcSoft TMT. You can also use the Cyberlink decoder if you own PowerDVD.

Otherwise sharing those decoders is not legal.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin /forum/post/0

Where can I get the Arcsoft TMT5 file (ASVid.ax) mentioned in the article. Is it accetable/legal for someone to post it here or send it to me in PM?

From the quide:

QUOTE Playing back interlaced VC-1 clips with the default codecs in MPC-HC usually results in a blank screen. To resolve this, the Arcsoft Video Decoder needs to be registered and used. (The WMV Decoder DMO codec is able to play back such clips, but it does software decode). After installing Arcsoft TMT (TMT 5 was used to test this out), the Arcsoft Video Decoder (ASVid.ax) was manually registered using the regsvr32 command in Administrator mode. This exposes the decoder for inclusion in the External Filters section in MPC-HC, as in the first picture of the gallery below. However, setting the decoder to Preferred doesn't enable its usage unless the checkactivate.dll from this doom9 post gets placed in the same folder as ASVid.ax. After this process, an interlaced VC-1 clip can be loaded into MPC-HC. In the default configuration, you will still end up with a blank screen. The VC-1 output compatibility of the LAV Splitter needs to be configured to reflect the presence of the Arcsoft VC-1 decoder, as in the rest of the screenshots in the gallery below. Note that this configuration is necessary only for AMD (and Intel) GPUs. NVIDIA GPUs have a open source decoder capable of playing back interlaced VC-1 clips in any DirectShow based player. We will cover that in the next section. END QUOTE

You have to buy/own tmt5.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
You can always try TMT5 trial (and decoders included). If you like it, buy it. The same applies to PowerDVD.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Are Nvidia cards necessary for Madvr? I have it setup with my ATI card and I do see a significant improvement in video quality, but maybe there's more that I am missing.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Not necessary, but with NVIDIA + LAV CUVID Decoder, hardware decode and deinterlacing are available.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/20561722

Not necessary, but with NVIDIA + LAV CUVID Decoder, hardware decode and deinterlacing are available.

Thanks for that reply. All these new codecs have my mind spinning.

Is there a better, notable difference with LAV CUVID over what I am currently using (ATI + Lav Filters and Madvr)?

Would you buy a new Nvidia card to utilize LAV CUVID?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
As I said repeatedly, the main difference is that with a NVIDIA + CUVID, you can use GPU's deinterlacer, while with an AMD card, you have to rely on software deinterlacer (usually poor). If you want to see what deinterlacing artifact is, look at this page .

301 - 320 of 582 Posts