AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain to me just how Lav Cuvid and Nev's new LavVideo interrelate?

I get that they are both video decoders and that Cuvid uses my Nvidias hardware decoding/de interlacing and that Lav Video is a software decoder.

So is my understanding correct that since I have a Nvidia card that I just want to only use LavCuvid, and Lav Video would benefit an ATI card or is there a reason I would want to use both with my Nvidia.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
LAV Splitters -> Like the name says, splitters for various formats, like MKV.

LAV Audio (included in the Splitters package) -> Audio decoder similar to ffdshow audio

LAV CUVID -> H.264/VC-1 decoder based on CUDA, so it only works with Nvidia.

If you have an Ati card, only the LAV Splitters make sense.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
The op is talking about LAV "Video" Decoder.
LAV Video test build #4 .

- LAV Video Decoder: ffmpeg-based video decoder, just like LAV Audio Decoder (so it uses CPU for decoding)

- LAV CUVID Decoder: a video decoder using NVIDIA hardware decoder/deinterlacer via CUVID API

As nevcairiel says, LAV Filters are open source ffmpeg based media splitter and decoders. LAV Video and LAV CUVID are independent of each other.

If you are going to use madVR, then LAV CUVID is a better choice (for the video codecs supported by NVIDIA PureVideo HD). LAV Video + madVR does not support proper deinterlacing (whatever GPU is). On the other hand LAV Video + EVR (CP) supports all hardware post-processors (whatever GPU is).

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ren,

Thanks for your reply, that was the clarification I needed!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.