AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LaVoce san2140.5 vs Eminence 6021. Has anyone heard both of these subs? Is there a big difference?
Just looking at the cost and trying to figure out which one would be best or if the Eminence is a lot better. I hear great things about both.
I don’t know why, but having trouble pulling the trigger on 2 Eminence just because of the price.

·
Premium Member
3,769 Posts
LaVoce san2140.5 vs Eminence 6021. Has anyone heard both of these subs? Is there a big difference?
Just looking at the cost and trying to figure out which one would be best or if the Eminence is a lot better. I hear great things about both.
I don’t know why, but having trouble pulling the trigger on 2 Eminence just because of the price.
I can tell you you will not be disappointed with the better sub. Get the eminence. This journey of subwoffage you have been on, your looking for more, so go straight to the top!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
The Eminence is about as good as it gets, in other words you’d have a hard time getting subs that would do better.

With that said, sure the LaVoce is a good sub, it’s well priced too.

I got the NSW’s because I didn’t want to be sitting there any longer wondering “what if?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
How do these two stack up to the B&C ? Seems like thats the only 21" subs I can get locally.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
The LaVoce, B&C, and Eminence are all much more similar than different. Check out databass for reviews of each of them in the standard sealed test box to compare driver to driver.

·
Premium Member
3,769 Posts
Well, you are going from UM’s to one of these 21’s, I went from hst18’s to the 6021 eminence and this is a down and dirty comparison of the 21 and 18. Notice the eminence beat my hst down low, and destroyed it higher in the bass range. And the hst’s are no slouch under 20hz. Also, once eq’ed, the eminence are way better.

This is just a close mic right before and after the swap. The result after the swap was complete (all 4 drivers) was way more dramatic then this measurement suggests.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
From what many have said here on AVS the advantage the Eminence has over the LaVoce is low end. If you already have 4 UM's and your low end is sufficient (from your thread 4 isn't enough) and you are adding rather than replacing, the question would be is the extra cost of the Eminence worth the extra cost($280) if low end isn't what you are chasing?

·
Registered
19,513 Posts
I know this is off topic but what is going on at 28-29hz? Your box is causing a big null if these are close mic.
The eminence has more low end than the UM18, LaVoce, and the HST. Data-bass shows this.

·
Premium Member
3,769 Posts
I know this is off topic but what is going on at 28-29hz? Your box is causing a big null if these are close mic.
The eminence has more low end than the UM18, LaVoce, and the HST. Data-bass shows this.
It was a dirty dirty measurement. Audyssey was on, mic placement sucked, crossover was active, I was too excited to do anything right at that time, so it’s just a bad measurement.

There’s a reason I sold my devastators when the swap was done. And I showed @imrf the result and he just laughed and laughed because the bass was so crazy. And he’s heard my system many times over the years.

·
Registered
19,513 Posts
I don't doubt the Eminence woofers, they hit 98.2 dB at 10hz and the Cap S2 hit 98.9. You will not notice the difference. Just remember guys when you think $750 is expensive the LMS 5400 was near $1000 and these have more overall output.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I had the Ds115 at the same time as the 6021. At easy to moderate volume they will be the same, as you turn it up the NSW6021 clearly had the edge in sound quality. It won't have quite the impact in midbass the Ds115 has, but don't take that as the NSW6021 is lacking in that dept.

If you have the money, don't 2nd guess it.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
From what many have said here on AVS the advantage the Eminence has over the LaVoce is low end. If you already have 4 UM's and your low end is sufficient (from your thread 4 isn't enough) and you are adding rather than replacing, the question would be is the extra cost of the Eminence worth the extra cost($280) if low end isn't what you are chasing?
This is a very great point. I initially had plans to get a NSW6021, but they were out of stock for the longest. I then got a great deal, from PE, on 2 open box Lavoce 21s for a smidgen more than one NSW6021. Given I already had 2 ported 24s, this decision was a no brainer. As mentioned already, if you're replacing subs, then NSW6021 would be the way to go. However, if you are adding subs to 4 UM18-22s, then price does matter and the Lavoce 21s become a great deal more attractive.

Just my 2 pennies:)

Reactions: xb1032

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
This is a very great point. I initially had plans to get a NSW6021, but they were out of stock for the longest. I then got a great deal, from PE, on 2 open box Lavoce 21s for a smidgen more than one NSW6021. Given I already had 2 ported 24s, this decision was a no brainer...
I remember your post on that. I put some items in my cart from PE and left them there as well and I was awarded a 10% off coupon as well a couple weeks later. Thanks for the tip! (y)

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I agree with pretty much everything here..I replaced the Lavoce with the eminence just because... they both sound amazing.. but the eminence definitely had more low end presence... i think if you are just adding on..the Lavoce would be perfect..

Reactions: BCRSS

·
Registered
19,513 Posts
Yes I agree, if adding the Lavoce will have the same low end as the UM 18 but more midbass. Also, when one starts having 6-8 18 or 21 inch drivers I prefer sealed for placement and because you will have headroom you can boost the low end with a LT to get that ported TR but without the tune drop off. Might need more power though.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I appreciate the help guys.
My plan is to take out the 18’s that I have up front, and replace with the 21’s, and keep the two 18’s I have in the back. So I will be mixing the UM’s (back) with the 21’s up front.

Since it’s only five weeks from Black Friday, should I wait until then for hopefully a sale or code?

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I only got into this since earlier this year and sub-wise I've only seen Dayton's products on sale from PE. If nothing else place a couple drivers in the cart and wait and see if you get a coupon - I did that and got one. BF might be worth the wait. With so much stock this year on back order I wonder what types of sales there will be this year on BF.

·
Registered
11,610 Posts
Those are room reflections that you've measured.
Look at any data-bass graph of any driver. No driver has such a variance, almost all drivers are dead flat 100hz if not 2-300hz.
I'm not saying the 21 isn't better, but that's not what you have captured/graphed here.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts