AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do we have a date yet for the new season?

Originally the USA Network sight said November, then it said Jan 2009, now just 2009.

Anyone have any detais of when to expect this? Is it debuting on USA or NBC?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
No date yet apparently.

They're doing their best to kill it off I think (others will argue that NBC Universal loves CI but they sure don't behave like they do).

·
Registered
70,627 Posts
"CI" has undergone a number of executive producer changes over the past year, plus they couldn't film the episodes fast-enough to run 16 uninterrupted weeks alternating between D'Onofrio and Jeff Goldblum (taking over for Chris Noth) had the show premiered in Nov. of last year. For details click here: http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.co...eason-delayed/ .

Rest assured, USA and NBC-Universal don't want to kill "CI." USA owns the show, its their highest-rated original (in total households, not the demo) and they stand to profit from its continued success. When USA finally debuts the new season you'll get back-to-back Goren and Goldblum wacky detective goodness for 16 straight weeks. That's worth waiting for.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
When did Law and Order: CI adopt the theme song from Law and Order: Trial by Jury? The old CI theme was a slower version of the well-known L&O theme. The much more "upbeat" one used tonight is (I believe) the exact same theme used in the "Trial by Jury" series that aired years ago and only lasted about 13 episodes.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp2244 /forum/post/17137840

When did Law and Order: CI adopt the theme song from Law and Order: Trial by Jury? The old CI theme was a slower version of the well-known L&O theme. The much more "upbeat" one used tonight is (I believe) the exact same theme used in the "Trial by Jury" series that aired years ago and only lasted about 13 episodes.

When it moved to USA from NBC. That season, I believe fall 2007 the theme changed. I think it was because it became a USA show rather than an NBC show.

I like the theme. I liked TBJ and was disappointed when it was canceled.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg /forum/post/17137908

When it moved to USA from NBC. That season, I believe fall 2007 the theme changed. I think it was because it became a USA show rather than an NBC show.

I like the theme. I liked TBJ and was disappointed when it was canceled.

Thanks! I enjoyed Trial by Jury as well - especially the looks at the "inner workings" of the trial process. Interesting that they took that theme and used it for CI but I guess there are few of us that actually even remember that Trial by Jury ever existed, let alone remember the theme!

·
Registered
70,627 Posts
From Fredfa's "Hot Off The Press" thread at the top of the 'HDTV Programming' page:

TV Notes
Law & Order: CI Ditching D'Onofrio, Erbe, Bogosian

By Roger Friedman in The Hollywod Reporter's Showbiz 411 blog

It's shake-up time for Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

Sources from the L&O galaxy say that stars Vincent D'Onofrio, Kathryn Erbe, and Eric Bogosian are all expected to be phased out at various points during the series' upcoming ninth season. Julianne Nicholson has already departed because she is having a baby. Executive producer Dick Wolf is turning to Jeff Goldblum, who joined the cast last season, to remain as lead detective in the series along with Saffron Burrows, who was recently cast to replace Nicholson as Goldblum's partner.

It's a big change for a show that has weathered a lot of casting changes since it began in 2001. D'Onofrio and Erbe have been there since the beginning, while Bogosian joined in 2006. Since then, the original pair have had to make room for Nicholson and Chris Noth, who left last year. Goldblum arrived in 2008.

Details about D'Onofrio, Erbe and Bogosian's exit are still unclear as the actors' deals are being worked out. The network only recently renewed the Wolf Films/Universal Cable Prods. series for a ninth season, slated to premiere in late spring with a two-parter.

How interesting that Wolf has decided to go this way since D'Onofrio, while erratic, has been very popular. But L&O:CI is a USA Network show now after running on sister channel NBC. And USA, insiders point out, likes lighter fare when it comes to its shows. Goldblum is more in the tradition of Tony Shalhoub's Monk than D'Onofrio.

While D'Onofrio is departing as a regular, it is possible for him to reprise his character in guest stints.

Law & Order just keeps chugging along in its various guises. The names change but the music remains the same.

http://showbiz411.blogs.thr.com/law-...jeff-goldblum/

·
Registered
20,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 /forum/post/17243296

From Fredfa's "Hot Off The Press" thread at the top of the 'HDTV Programming' page:

TV Notes
Law & Order: CI Ditching D'Onofrio, Erbe, Bogosian

By Roger Friedman in The Hollywod Reporter's Showbiz 411 blog

It's shake-up time for Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

Sources from the L&O galaxy say that stars Vincent D'Onofrio, Kathryn Erbe, and Eric Bogosian are all expected to be phased out at various points during the series' upcoming ninth season. Julianne Nicholson has already departed because she is having a baby. Executive producer Dick Wolf is turning to Jeff Goldblum, who joined the cast last season, to remain as lead detective in the series along with Saffron Burrows, who was recently cast to replace Nicholson as Goldblum's partner.

It's a big change for a show that has weathered a lot of casting changes since it began in 2001. D'Onofrio and Erbe have been there since the beginning, while Bogosian joined in 2006. Since then, the original pair have had to make room for Nicholson and Chris Noth, who left last year. Goldblum arrived in 2008.

Details about D'Onofrio, Erbe and Bogosian's exit are still unclear as the actors' deals are being worked out. The network only recently renewed the Wolf Films/Universal Cable Prods. series for a ninth season, slated to premiere in late spring with a two-parter.

How interesting that Wolf has decided to go this way since D'Onofrio, while erratic, has been very popular. But L&O:CI is a USA Network show now after running on sister channel NBC. And USA, insiders point out, likes lighter fare when it comes to its shows. Goldblum is more in the tradition of Tony Shalhoub's Monk than D'Onofrio.

While D'Onofrio is departing as a regular, it is possible for him to reprise his character in guest stints.

Law & Order just keeps chugging along in its various guises. The names change but the music remains the same.

http://showbiz411.blogs.thr.com/law-...jeff-goldblum/

THis is a shame the only episodes I really watch are the ones with Vincent D'Onofrio and Kathryn Erbe. I never can get into the show unless those two are the main (or only) detectives.....Ive been catching the replays off the show on various channels and the vibe\\chemistry of the show doesnt seem to flow without those two. I guess they were too "deep" for the liking of USA

·
Registered
70,627 Posts
As the biggest fan of anything "L&O" in this board (can anyone else here claim to have seen EVERY episode from EVERY "L&O" show -minus "Trial and Jury"- at least twice?) I'm surprisingly OK with this. I would have kept Erbe's character teamed-up with Goldblum's though, these two worked perfectly in their two episodes together late last season.

It's obvious that money just isn't there to keep the veterans around, and that the Goren character that's there right now isn't the goofy idiot savant that the show started with in 2001 (which now would fit perfectly with the "Psych" and "Monk" style of show USA Network does). Since the characters will be phased out and not just be thrown out without a clue of their whereabouts (the way many a "L&O" character have just disappeared from one season to the next) I'm looking forward to seeing Bobby, Eames and Ross exit One Police Plaza in a blaze of NYC politics (or personal) glory. Since the show has established plenty of motives/reasons for the department to want to get rid of Goren over the years I wouldn't be surprised if either Ross or Eames (or both) resign from their jobs as a show of solidarity with Bobby. It's weird that, except for the short-lived "Trial By Jury," every other "L&O" has been around for almost a decade or longer and it still feels odd to say goodbye to the regulars after all these years. Oh well, we'll always have reruns.

Shame that Saffron Burrows is becoming Goldblum's new partner though, I was hoping (if they didn't team-up Nichols with Eames) they'd bring back Alicia Witt's Falacci character that worked so well with Chris Noth's Logan for the four episodes they were together a couple of years ago. Alas, money talks and the cast walks.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Well....I'll take a wait and see approach. It would certainly be cheaper if they went back to just the two primary detectives instead of having two teams. Didn't they go that route because D'Onofrio was overworked or overstressed?

D'Onofrio is an enjoyable actor to watch work, but I grew to dislike the Goren character of late.

Kathryn Erbe will be missed.

Change can be good in the L&O universe.

·
Registered
70,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAF /forum/post/17246160

But which "L&O" universe are you talking about? On the mothership "L&O" change is a constant and the format (cops catch bad guy in the first half; prosecutors take them to court during the second half) assures that new people can rotate in and out without problem. But "SVU" and "CI," despite sharing the "L&O" name and production trademarks (i.e. no goofy over-the-top CGI effects, no dream sequences or crazy stuff, etc.), have been impervious to major cast changes and format shifts over the years.

"CI" brought in alternating detectives, a new captain (Ross over Deakins), got rid of ADA Carver (now on ABC's "Flash Forward") and (as of late 2006) a shift toward "CSI"-type flash... but through all that change we still had Goren and Eames as constants and reminders of "CI's" 2001 foundation. "SVU" has really shifted away from emphasis on depraved rape and child molestation (though these are still the starting points of most cases) and into an almost 'super cops'-type cop drama in which everything (terrorism, corporate greed, government bureocracy, etc.) co-mingles with the personal lives of the detectives. Four characters (Benson, Stabler, Capt. Cragen and Det. Munch) have been there from the beginning, and one (Det. Tutuola) joined in the 2nd season. Shoot, NBC could have gotten rid of Hargitay and Benson to the tune of almost $400K an episode EACH (I bet they regret that now that Wednesday's ratings for "SVU" were in the tank) but it couldn't do or risk the ire and viewership loss of many fans of the unspoken Stabler-Benson relationship.

What I'm trying to say is that change has been a constant in the "Law & Order" mothership, but in the "CI" and "SVU" universes it has been anything but since audiences still like and relate to the lead detectives that have been with these shows since the very beginning. And for the record, the Goren-Eames "CI" episodes on USA this year always scored better/bigger ratings than the Nichols-Wheeler one's. Coincidence?

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
It sounds like the choice was between cancelling it without a ninth season or attempting to do a ninth season at significantly reduced cost, which for a show like CI means purging the cast. Either way, Criminal Intent as we knew it was dead.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
You gave us a run down of different changes within the L&O universe. I'll repeat.

I think Jeff Goldblum could carry the series if given the chance. Will he?

I'll take a wait and see approach.

Edit: Chris Noth could definitely have carried the series if they'd turned it over to him.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
A lot of women liked D'Onofrio's character.

Somehow, I just don't think Goldblum is going to fit the bill as an acceptable replacement for many of them.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Count me as one that's suprised that Goren's character has lasted so long. Personally Goren had started to grate on my nerves years ago when it was just the one detective team, however I admit since the rotating cast has gone into effect, i've appreciated him more. Eames is hand in hand attached to Goren so though I like her character, she won't be too terribly missed.

I've never been a fan of Julia Nicholson's and was actually glad when Alicia Witt's Falachi character replaced her those episodes, that's why I was so suprised when Nicholson returned. I am saddened to see them let go Bogosian's character. I felt him an improvement over Deakins character.

I admit to NOT being a fan of Jeff Goldblume's character and really not in favor of him being the lead detective. I really miss Mike Logan. He had always been my favorite L&0 character anyway.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Big time bump here but I wanted to get you guys back talking about it. The Goren character is finally going to come to an end (along with Eames) this season.

We're 8 days away from the premiere and I cannot wait to see what kind of send off they are going to get - should be an epic episode

·
Registered
367 Posts
Any of you dudes end up watching the premiere? Great, great episode but poor captain Ross.

We're still coming up on Goren's last eps, was cool seeing him work with Goldblum though in the same room.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Funny how just as their characters exit they remind us of how good they used to be. Goren w/ some fire back in his belly.

Is David Zayas (temporary/replacement captain) just passing through or what? He's entertaining.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts