AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "Winner of the Projector Shootout" thread is providing a lot of valuable information and opinions about what was demonstrated at Infocomm.

One of the highlights for me was the Sony demonstration of their G90 CRT ($37,000) which uses 9-inch guns. This is not a new model and it isn't digital either. However, the demo included a 10-minute clip from Lawrence of Arabia that had been remastered at 1080i and was played back through a Faroudja processor at 1080p.

I was impressed. Very impressed.

The campfire scene, moments before Omar Shariff burns Lawrence's military uniform, made me understand why folks here pay so much attention to black levels! If you have camped out and sat around your campfire in pitch black, you know what the experience is like. The G90 with the 1080p input rekindled those memories by producing a truly lifelike rendition. All this from a 1960s(?) movie. I hope High-Def DVD comes along soon.

This was followed by a 480p clip from the 9000ES which was good, but otherwise unremarkable.

I have not had much exposure to CRTs because of their impracticalities over digital projectors (price, size, light output, weight, installation, convergence, etc.), but this demo made me stand up and take notice. I can understand why CRTs are the reference by which all other display technologies are judged.

Having said this, I agree with all of the enthusiastic remarks about the QXGA D-ILA and the promising G150. JVC's 25-foot theater demonstration was nothing short of amazing. Of course, the G90's image would have evaporated at that size...

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi KZ,

I agree 100%. The G90 was well setup and looked fantastic.

...but what was the deal with that screen size? With the number of seats that they had, the screen should have been three TIMES bigger. That screen is smaller than most of the screens that we have in our homes! It was smaller than the screen I use with my G11, that's for sure.

Anyway, I agree that the G90 picture looks fantastic at that size.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes you're right! I've seen only a handful of CRT demonstrations but they have always been on small screens such as the one at the Sony demo. Blame it on the weak light output - the G90 produces about 360 ANSI lumens which is probably typical for 9-inch models.

My idea of home theater is really simple:

1. Find the biggest projection surface you can (or build a new room).

2. Fill it with the highest pixel-density projector you can afford.

3. Make sure the image is bright, uniform, contrasty, and lifelike.

4. Just to be sure, read number 1 again.

Anything less is just television. Compromises may be practical, but they are no fun.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KZ:

Anything less is just television. Compromises may be practical, but they are no fun.
Well put. I am going to print that in huge letters next to my own HT-screen http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by clehner (edited 06-17-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.