AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Digital Bits reports that The Bridge on the River Kwai, The Guns of Navarone and Lawrence of Arabia are coming as 2 disc DVD sets on March 20.

You know how Sony likes the "Available on DVD and Blu-ray" slogan. It seems the perfect time to release Lawrence as it ties in with the DVD release.

It would be nice to see the other two on Blu-ray as well. Especially Kwai.

EDIT: This is old news. A Sony insider has confirmed that Lawrence of Arabia is coming to Blu-ray this year. Possibly during summer 08 or fall 08. Stay tuned.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
"Lawrence of Arabia" and "Bridge on the River Kwai" are "must haves." In fact, i hope warner will follow suit and release "Ryan's Daughter" and "Dr. Zhivago." David Lean directed some of the greatest films ever made.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd2012 /forum/post/0

I think paidgeek confirmed they were delayed. It would be a nice surprise, but I think they are still holding off those titles.

Doh! Hopefully, Lawrence will see a super high AVC transfer on a 50gb.

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR5009, AppleTV 4K, Sony KDL-55W900A, M&K s-125 lcr, M&K SS-150 surround, SVS 16-46pci sub
788 Posts
I just hope they do a nice 4x transfer from the 70MM and we get a real nice HD reference both sound and video. Hopefully DD-TrueHD on this one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I hope we see the BD of LAWRENCE soon.

I PMed Robert Harris on another forum about Lawrence of Arabia and he said all he could tell me was that it was coming to BD soon...

If he has any say on the BD, then it will be excellent.

·
Registered
16,433 Posts
Lawrence, Kwai, and others need some serious work and new 4k HD transfers with zero edge enhancement.

I hope Sony doesn't f-ck up these titles like they have in the past, and gets Mr. Harris on board to supervise.

And they need full 24/96 audio remastering with their original directionalized dialog. 24 bit lossless this time Sony!!

·
Registered
13,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronSCH /forum/post/0

"Lawrence of Arabia" and "Bridge on the River Kwai" are "must haves." In fact, i hope warner will follow suit and release "Ryan's Daughter" and "Dr. Zhivago." David Lean directed some of the greatest films ever made.

Yes he did, didn't he!

Quote:
Lawrence, Kwai, and others need some serious work and new 4k HD transfers with zero edge enhancement.

I hope Sony doesn't f-ck up these titles like they have in the past, and gets Mr. Harris on board to supervise.

I agree!

I believe Mr. Harris is on board for Lawrence, doing the color timing. This, by itself, is not enough to guarantee a great transfer though, since EE could still be present in the master.

I can't believe they are releasing Lawrence on DVD again (third time).

Quote:
And they need full 24/96 audio remastering with their original directionalized dialog. 24 bit lossless this time Sony!!

That would be nice, but I would be satisfied if they just concentrate on getting the video right!

·
Registered
13,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokings /forum/post/0

I was thinking the same thing. Isn't the 4th time though with the 2 disc SE, Single disc, and Superbit already out?

That's true! I forgot about the single disc version!

·
Registered
4,883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited /forum/post/0

Digital Bits reports that The Bridge on the River Kwai, The Guns of Navarone and Lawrence of Arabia are coming as 2 disc DVD sets on March 20.

You know how Sony likes the "Available on DVD and Blu-ray" slogan. It seems the perfect time to release Lawrence as it ties in with the DVD release.

It would be nice to see the other two on Blu-ray as well. Especially Kwai.

Sorry folks, well........it may be for a good reason
but,

LOA is not on the schedule right now and certainly not for March.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man /forum/post/0

Sorry folks, well........it may be for a good reason
but,

LOA is not on the schedule right now and certainly not for March.

Because it isn't PERFECT yet, correct?!

·
Registered
4,883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin /forum/post/0

Because it isn't PERFECT yet, correct?!

Lol,

Well if I was personally in charge of the Quality Assurance on this project Rob, you might damn well never see it on Blu-ray because I would be nit-pickin every single frame.during all aspects of the production.

I think its best to leave with the thought that the people have been now sensitized to the fact as to how important this release is.. so they are taking their time in making it as good as possible.

Perfect ?

Wasn't War Admiral described as the Perfect Horse ?

"It's not in his feet Georgie, it's in his .heart."

I'll just take a winner.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man /forum/post/0

Lol,

Well if I was personally in charge of the Quality Assurance on this project Rob, you might damn well never see it on Blu-ray because I would be nit-pickin every single frame.during all aspects of the production.

I think its best to leave with the thought that the people have been now sensitized to the fact as to how important this release is.. so they are taking their time in making it as good as possible.

Perfect ?

Wasn't War Admiral described as the Perfect Horse ?

"It's not in his feet Georgie, it's in his .heart."

I'll just take a winner.

I'm with ya all the way on this one!

"My friend Lawrence, if I may call him that. "My friend Lawrence". How many men will claim the right to use that phrase? How proudly! He longs for the greenness of his native land. He pines for the Gothic cottages of Surrey, is it not? Already in imagination, he catches trout and engages in all the activities of the English gentleman."

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I'm cool with making the BD perfect, as long as Mini Dive doesn't have to sweep up sand when the movies over

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I dont beleive that at all. Sony has been embarrased by non perfect BD releases. So they are holding back all titles that may look less than perfect, such as catalogue titles ( LoA, Glory ). Look at their upcoming releases, mainly new movies, ones where transfers would be clean. I doubt this is due to the desire to give extra TLC to these older movies.

·
Registered
543 Posts
"Lawrence of Arabia." Those three words were enough to make me jump ship and go format neutral. I can think of few other movies that would have done that. The prospect of having a pristine copy of that magnificent movie was enough to get me to go out and buy a PS3.
I can't wait! The theme music is already going through my head.

Joe

1 - 20 of 260 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.