AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey boys.

so i'm pretty setup in my new digs and the HT is up and running.
seen some very heavy systems in here, i'm trying to keep up! i'll be gunning for
some big leagues speakers very soon - just need to sell my soul first.

system specs...

carada 128" 2:35 1.0 gain screen
w/ panasonic AE3000 projetctor

paradigm monitor 9 v.5 fronts
paradigm cc-290 v.5 center
paradigm ADP-390 v.5 surrounds
2x SVS PB-12 plus subwoofies
homemade owen's acoustic paneling

anthem MRX-500 reciever/preamp
emotiva XPA-2 (L/R)
emotiva XPA-3 (C/SR/SL)

custom HTPC with all the trimmings
3+1TB external drives
panamax M5300 power center
monster power center
sony PS3
toshiba HD-DVD player
pioneer CLD-504 laserdisc player
marantz 5-disc CD changer
bell fiber OP internet/TV serivce
apple TV2
roku 3
netgear wireless router

harmony 880 remote
wireless slim keyboard
wireless remote/air mouse

sorry for the filtered iphone pics. i can't find the charging cord for my SLR.

control room

in action

this is what it do!
if anyone has some B&W 802d's that they got kicking around they don't
want anymore, send them up here! :D

paul

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, indeed and congrats!

The only thing I would do is pull the center speaker all the way to the edge of the cabinet and tilt it to seated ear hight. Improvement in dialog intelligibility will be immediately apperant. :cool:
hahha yeah, but my spot is far left on the couch.
where i'm sitting, i'm centered. the wife on the other hand.... she's a little off axis.
and she's a not in line with the center either ;)

i was thinking about going for a center tilt up though, the woofers are aimed at
my knees.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
hahha yeah, but my spot is far left on the couch.
where i'm sitting, i'm centered. the wife on the other hand.... she's a little off axis.
and she's a not in line with the center either ;)

i was thinking about going for a center tilt up though, the woofers are aimed at
my knees.
Woofers don't matter much, it's the mid to high frequencies that will benefit from a nudge & tilt. Experimenting is FOC (Free of Charge). :):cool:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Woofers don't matter much, it's the mid to high frequencies that will benefit from a nudge & tilt. Experimenting is FOC (Free of Charge). :):cool:
i'm in the garage mocking something up with cedars shims as WE SPEAK.
gonna test it with interstellar tonight!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Looks very good.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lookin' forward to your test results. :cool:
i think i chose the WORST movie to test a center on. the dialogue at certain points
was very hard to understand, but i think that's just the sound mix. i've never had to
strain that much before. but that bass, OH GOD hahahaa.

from what i can tell on other media it seems that it's a little more clearer and
tighter. it's been a hectic week, hopefully i'll have some time to put in some proper
movie watching.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quick question! How large is your room?
17w x 14 d

the screen is a little too nutty for the room, but where i was living before it
was just right. i would of gone a touch smaller if i was starting with this room, but also
find it kind of immersing with big screen and sitting closer.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Very nice setup. Did you try running your speakers using only the Anthem? Did you notice a huge improvement using the Emotiva amps?

Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very nice setup. Did you try running your speakers using only the Anthem? Did you notice a huge improvement using the Emotiva amps?

Thanks
i never ran them off the anthem amp so i have nothing to compare it to.
i always thought my paradigms sounded decent until i heard some other top
quality speakers. just the SVS subs was a ridiculous improvement, so i'm
itching to go next level on the speakers.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts

it's done and done.
i'm going to run the ARC again just make sure everything is running tip top.
Wow! Looks cool and promising!!! :cool:

On a second note, really hate to say this, but look at that huge reflective wooden surface right in front of the Center speaker. ;) That surface is the "criminal" for causing reflections in the mid-to-high frequencies influencing dialog intelligibility by a phenomenon usually referred to as "smearing".

Typical best practice is a) to pull the speaker to the edge of the cabinet and nudge it off by and inch or two (best) or b) put a table cloth or other decorative "non-reflective" textile to tame those reflections. (second best)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow! Looks cool and promising!!! :cool:

On a second note, really hate to say this, but look at that huge reflective wooden surface right in front of the Center speaker. ;) That surface is the "criminal" for causing reflections in the mid-to-high frequencies influencing dialog intelligibility by a phenomenon usually referred to as "smearing".

Typical best practice is a) to pull the speaker to the edge of the cabinet and nudge it off by and inch or two (best) or b) put a table cloth or other decorative "non-reflective" textile to tame those reflections. (second best)
yeah, i totally dig what you're saying.
i'm going to move it right to the edge and try that. it never clicked about the reflections but now
that you mention it i'm like OH MAN, how could i have lived so long like this? i'm fully open for more
suggestions!

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
yeah, i totally dig what you're saying.
i'm going to move it right to the edge and try that. it never clicked about the reflections but now
that you mention it i'm like OH MAN, how could i have lived so long like this? i'm fully open for more
suggestions!
I wouldn't stop at "the edge" but would nudge it a tad bit more, between an inch or two beyond the edge. Can do wonders! ;)

More suggestions, as you asked. That small wooden table up front also bothers me when it comes to perfecting the audio experience in such a nice room as you have shown us. Should it have no real everyday function its best to remove it from the perspective of being another "criminal" in the reflections department, or a table cloth solution may also come in handy.

Take care. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts