Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,

I previously posted this condition in another forum as it directly related to audio theory due to speaker placement. This is the basement room in rough form:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/o/joe6pack...c_Layout_1.jpg

As I noted in the other forum, the screen size dictates the seating distance for the primary viewer, which in turn defines the THX placement of the 180º dipole surrounds. My problem is that the derived location for the left surround encroaches upon the pre-existing doorway, which is framed into a load-bearing wall. Immediately to the left of the doorway on the same wall is the main electrical panel.

Originally, I was thinking in terms of aesthetics and wanted to place two pairs of 1'-wide columns (about 6" deep at the base and using crown molding forming a shelf 10" deep for the surrounds) at the 8' and 17' mark along the long wall, looking from left to right. Unfortunately, this would either place the surrounds ahead of the primary viewing position or considerably behind said position.

I am open to alternatives in the design of this room. Aside from the load-bearing wall mentioned, the other three walls are false-walls I framed with 2x4 for 8' walls that terminate into soffits. The soffits were required to hide things like plumbing, HVAC, etc. The West and North walls are hiding poured concrete walls and the East wall is covering a 2x6 wall with a pair of windows in it (think daylight basement).

This 3D rough rendering shows the size of the room with the to-scale speakers, surrounds, and pretend columns holding the surrounds:

Here is another look:

·
Registered
766 Posts
I suppose you've considered reversing the room front to back? Seems like that would put the door out of the way..

Alternately, would mounting your screen further out into the room be possible? Some people have done this -- but moving it an entire door width might be darn far.

I'd consider moving the seating forward just that little bit you need, and moving the speaker(s) with it. My original theater configuration had an 80" wide screen with primary seating at 10.5 feet. Certainly closer than 'spec' but enjoyable.

Roo

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,582 Posts
Your Center Rears are horribly far away, which will necessitae quite a bit of Delay, as well as proportionatly more volume.

Move the seating back 6' , enlarge your screen area, and place the Dipoles Side surround column on the other side of the door. Also, going with an 8.1 setup that includes 2 "Effects" channels just fprward of the R & L Mains will help bridge the gap.

Or....shorten the room to 20' to the rear wall and you'll have a enclosure for a Projecter, equipment, and even maybe a small Bar.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thirteen (13) feet is considered horribly? That's the distance the primary seating position is from both front and back wall. BTW, I did consider reversing the room's layout, but my concern was potential reflection due to firing loudspeakers in the directino of a concrete wall. I suppose I could build a basstrap ...

The projector, because of the screen size, defines its own location in the room. This is an NEC XG135LC CRT projector and the throw is nowhere near +20 feet your suggesting.

The wet bar, lounge, and pool room are outside of this room and in the basement. :)

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Wanman, for what its worth I dont think your rear surrounds are "horribly" far away. Looks good to me. Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.