1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not an artist, can you tell

Here is a sketch of the room I have to work with:

I labeled the walls for easy reference.

Quick background info. The room is on the second floor over my garage. It has 9 ft. ceilings. I have finished putting a second layer of sheetrock up with 2 tubes of green glue sandwiched between the rock. Speakers minus the subs are built. They are GR Research A/V-3's, A/V-3S and 4 A/V-1RS's.

Ok here is my latest thought on room orientation.

Is the front row too close for this size screen? According to THX it is pushing it for a 16:9 screen at that distance. Do I need 7 feet of depth on the riser or can I make up a foot or so and shorten that distance? The rear row of seats is a foot from the rear wall or right up against it. I know this is not optimal for 7.1 but I'm not sure what to do and is there really an issue with just turning it to 5.1 and not really using the side speakers? The front row will have more optimal speaker position so 7.1 will be more effective for that position. I'm rambling....

Here are pictures of the various walls.

Wall 'A'

Wall 'B'

Wall 'C'

Wall 'D'

Lastly here is another awesome sketch of the other possibility. I struggle with this as it puts all the seating on the right side of the room and I'm not sure I like having an unsymmetrical space. I'm open to suggestions though and if the acoustics are better this way, the screen distance is better then I will entertain your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Can you reclaim the closet for the theater to make it a true rectangular room?

If acoustics / sound quality is important to you, I would suggest making the long wall your side wall.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont think I can take that much out of the master closet. It is a huge closet but it will really mess that space up and all I was planning to do with it was use it for the equipment rack. I figured that wouldn't take up more than 24" of the width plus the depth of equipment. I'm not an audiofile by any stretch. All I really care about is not having the room too flat or too lively. I enjoy the movie at a comfortable volume where dialogue is easy to hear without you having to crank everything up to achieve that.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Wow, nice work. Attic above, easy to re-route cables, e.g. projector?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Attic is above. 3 of the walls are exterior walls so sound containment isn's as big of an issue. The wall with the door is the only wall adjacent to living space. All walls have still been treated with double sheetrock and Green Glue. Solid Core door will be ordered soon. As for running wires that's not really an issue. I will have a sofit I can use to run most of the wires along. I plan to run conduit for future proofing. Main electrical junction for the house is directly below this room so I plan to run at least 2 dedicated circuits for the room. Should be fun. I decided to layout the room with the long wall being the side wall. The more I looked at it the more it makes sense. I was originally worried about the width being a little tight but I'm planning to use something like the Berkline Group 088 series which are quite narrow to begin with. That way I can get 2 rows of 4 seats in and have approx 2.5 ft on the right side of the sofas. Shouldn't make the room to lopsided.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts