AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking for your expert opinion/recommendation on how best to design a built-in entertainment center in a 2-story great room. The fireplace is in one corner of the wall and the remaining space on that wall will be used by these cabinets.

I have attached a picture of how the room looks as well as couple of pictures of how the built-ins would look like. Again, these are just rough design/suggestion from the builder.

I am very much open to your thoughts/best practice on where the electronic decies (i.e Charter DVR, Receiver, DVD player, etcc..) In terms of devices, I have one Onkyo TX-SR606, Charter DVR, Oppo DVD Player, Panasonic 5-disc DVD player, Dish network receiver, and Wii.

I would like to find out if it make sense to keep all of the above devices in cabinets below the TV or should they go on the side (left or right) shelves of the TV. Please refer to the pictures for a design view.

For now, I would be keeping the front speakers on top most shelf. One of the bottom shelf could be used for a sub.

Again, any help would greatly be appriceated; Also, I am trying to figure out if it would be a good thing to keep these devices directly below the TV.

Thank you,

Manoj

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Looks like a nice house...

All my gear is in a built-in cabinet in a hallway off the room. I just have a discrete infrared receiver in the room to pick up commands form the remote. So, put the equipment wherever is convenient. The only distance that is of real concern is the distance from the TV to the AVR or switch. 35' or so is usually not a problem with HDMI. Longer distances are doable, but may require higher quality cables, repeaters, etc. If you use component video instead of HDMI, long distances should not be much trouble at all.

You will want your center channel speaker to be behind, directly above, or directly below the screen to pin the dialog to the screen.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.