AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After trying an FLD filter yesterday, I became more conscious of reds and greens,

and started noticing a subltle but defenite color shift (green to red) from one side of the screen to the other. This was most noticable on stable white scenes (the opening menu of Being John Malcovich) or on video noise (no /or between channels). Looking into the lens the green and red sides where even more noticable. I spoke to my retailer who would have handled the warranty but thought panazip would be quicker. Called panazip and they will send out a loaner and box for shipping them my unit . The dealer also offered to extened the trade up policy if the unit is returned and I decide I'd rather have the 711XU instead.

I watched a lot of flicks this past weekend and enjoyed the picture tremendously though a different problem came up that I'm pretty sure has to do with long cables runs and cheap breakout cable. It is only apparent when viewing from the DVD player component to breakout. It is a banding that moves up the screen with alternate reddish and greenish bands. If I feeze the picture on the pj the banding movement freezes as well. It is not noticable when viewing from the computer.

Ah well honeymoon over I guess. I don't know if these problems are new or I'm just now noticing them. I'm still very optomistic about this pj and hoping these things will be resolved. Freinds watching movies with me where wowed. Saw Vanilla Sky, Ghost World, From Hell, Fantasia and a little of Corkey Romano (yuch) Everthing looked great though From Hell which is rather dark probably would have looked better on a good dlp or crt. It was still involving and enjoyable on the 75U however.

I will post follow up to these issues as they develope. -Noam

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK now I'm thinking I'm nuts. Well actually that's already been established but I digress. I put on a few different videos tonight , skipped through a lot of scenes and though the color shift I saw can occasionally be detected, you have to look pretty long and hard to find it while a movie is playing. With more uniform white or off white scenes frozen its most obvious but it is still pretty subtle. If I defocus a lot, on the edges of the picture I get red on one side and green on the other. Perhaps this is the way the color is supposed to converge on these things??

Now I'm thinking shipping this puppy out to correct a 'problem' that's barely there and may be with in spec for this thing anyway, may be more trouble than it's worth. With the potential for damage during shipping I may well get it back in worse shape than I send it out. Hmmmm. Videophile-itis is probaly not a good thing with a $2250. projector. This unit does so many things right for the little money it costs, I'm thinkin relax and enjoy the show and call off the panazip if it's not too late.

Re. The banding problem. I think I partially solved the mystery. The banding went away while I had the computer hooked up to the VB50 and came back when I disconected it. I then tried disconecting the vga cord that went from the VB50 to RGB2 on the pj and the bands where gone again. It's something to do with the VB50 anyway, which is also by the way, very noisey when the audio is run through my sound system.

Hope I didn't freak anybody out. I'll let y'all know what happens. -Noam

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I would probably NOT send it in. There not going to have as critical eye as you, and thus probably won't see the problem. At most they will probably realign the LCD panels to spec. And if they decide to throw a part or 2 at it, just to say , "They did something" it might come back to you with a picture your not as satisfied with. I say this from experience with Panasonic and the zipit program with my 711xu. They replace the whole optical block and main board. It took 2 months to get the parts in. I fixed the problem 1 week before the parts came in, and called them and ask them to send back the non- fixed pj. They asked me to let them go ahead and put the parts in, I agreed with reluctance. Well it came back exactly as it was before. But the service was great. No hasseles, they just sent me the loaner and I sent mine in, in there metal case with a self addressed UPS label.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called this morning and it had already gone out. I asked if i could compare the loaner to my unit then decide wether to send them thiers back or mine. They where fine with that. It came in already but I havn'thad a chance to check it out yet.. My guess is I'll keep mine home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.