AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's a life long debate, but I'm going to buy a 52" tv in the near future and I want some feedback about them.

I mainly watch hockey, so motion blur is important, also, the room has 3 window, so it's bright, there's no window directly in front of the tv.

Is a plasma still better for motion blur than 120hz? how bad is the glare in a room with a few window with a plasma screen? Which screen will be bright with great contrast?

I think the plasma is the best, but I'm affraid the glare will lessen the experience.

Do you have any model recommandation?

Damn I hate compromise.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Well if you want a 52" then you can only get LCD. Cause plasma only has a 50". Aside from that you should check out the numerous threads on different makes and models as well as comparison threads. Just do a search and it'll bring up several threads that will help you.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Plasma is better for motion, period. 120hz and motion interpolation are more band aid than solution.

IMHO, whille all sports are so much more enjoyable in HD, I think hockey gains the most benefit. It is SO much easier to follow the action. It may actually be easier still on an LCD because of the motion trail, but I prefer no lag. Some people are sensitive to a green trail from certain plasmas, but I'm not among them.

I have a plasma in a very bright room, southern sun directly at the screen. We have fabric drop down blinds that control the glare without turning the place into a darkroom. The blinds eliminate most of the reflection, but not 100%. It works fine for me, YMMV. Some of Samsung's 120hz displays that I've watched are actually more reflective than my plasma.

Recommendations would depend your seating distances, angles, and budget.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Panasonic and pioneer have pretty good anti-reflective coatings. I can see reflections on my panny 46" but only during very dark scenes in a very well lit room.

You'll want to avoid glossy lcds like the samsung 650 series as they produce a lot of glare- luckily samsung has started to produce matte versions like the 630 series.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a Panasonic 58PZ850U with sun that shines on it directly during the day. Of course, the contrast isn't the greatest with these conditions, and I do think LCD would prevail for daytime watching. However, I am still happy with my decision to go Plasma. During daytime conditions, I use a different mode with the settings notched up. I don't have a problem not seeing the screen - but I know the PQ isn't at it's best. Most of my TV watching is late afternoon - night anyways, when the Plasma shines.

As for your questions - IMO - motion is better on plasma than 120hz LCDs. You have to ask yourself when most of your TV watching is - then weigh the pros/cons.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 /forum/post/15594874

LCD blows away plasma in brightly lit rooms.

Eh... lcd is better in brightly lit environments as long as it has a matte screen, which most of the top tier lcds are now using a glossy coating- a mistake in my opinion.

At least with the matte finish you'll avoid glare (but not wash-out).

In a brightly lit room lcds' disadvantage in contrast vs. plasma tends to disappear. So the real question is when will you do your watching. If you will always watch tv in daylight or with all the lights in the room on I think lcd is a fantastic option. If you're like me and do a little of both- lights on and lights off for movies- stick with the plasma.

LCD is akin to holding your hand over the end of a flashlight, in a brightly lit room you won't see any light from the flashlight- but turn the lighs off and that's a different story.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x /forum/post/15595592

Eh... lcd is better in brightly lit environments as long as it has a matte screen, which most of the top tier lcds are now using a glossy coating- a mistake in my opinion.

At least with the matte finish you'll avoid glare (but not wash-out).

In a brightly lit room lcds' disadvantage in contrast vs. plasma tends to disappear. So the real question is when will you do your watching. If you will always watch tv in daylight or with all the lights in the room on I think lcd is a fantastic option. If you're like me and do a little of both- lights on and lights off for movies- stick with the plasma.

LCD is akin to holding your hand over the end of a flashlight, in a brightly lit room you won't see any light from the flashlight- but turn the lighs off and that's a different story.

I disagree. The great black levels you get from a plasma like the Kuro is greatly diminished when watching it in a brightly lit room. Not so with a top flight LCD. LCD sets are brighter and do better in brightly lit rooms.

·
Registered
147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 /forum/post/15597230

I disagree. The great black levels you get from a plasma like the Kuro is greatly diminished when watching it in a brightly lit room.

I agree, if the ambient light is completely uncontrolled.
Quote:

Not so with a top flight LCD. LCD sets are brighter and do better in brightly lit rooms.

I disagree with this. You can pump the brightness higher than a plasma, and your whites may benefit, depending on other settings. But the blacks will suffer for it and turn to grey, and the rest of the color pallet becomes over saturated. I appreciate and respect that *you* prefer the LCD in torch mode. But truthfully, in this scenario, either tech is a subjective trade-off. To state your preference as universal fact is simply not correct.

The truth is that bright ambient light is not a friend to either tech.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts

Quote:

I disagree. The great black levels you get from a plasma like the Kuro is greatly diminished when watching it in a brightly lit room. Not so with a top flight LCD. LCD sets are brighter and do better in brightly lit rooms.

what good are those blacks on an lcd with a glossy panel (namely the samsungs) when the glare and reflections are so bad that you can't see anything but a reflection?

the only way to beat the Samsung glare is to close the blinds, and if your gonna do that then you might as well get a plasma because it will look better in that situation and you can also watch it in the daytime and get an amazing picture.

What is the big obsession with watching TV in a room with every window open and the sunlight banging on the panel??

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I think Auditor was referring to overall brightness, not glare.

LCDs will outperform any plasma in a overly bright enviornment. While the blacks on some plasmas will suffer in a bright enviornment, LCDs will shine. There is a catch though, when lighting is controlled, LCDs black levels diminish substantially, while plasmas have a perceived increase in overall contrast.

OP, you noted you were interested in one of the two techs, but you did not mention which models you were looking into. It isn't as simple as "LCD vs Plasma" anymore. It boils down to manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I have the Sammy 5084 (soon to be the A650) and I might as well have this thing outside my living room is so bright. Having 4 kids is one of the major reasons I bought a plasma because of the glass screen.

That said, I would get a plasma again in a heartbeat, kids or not. The picture is stunning and when the wife and I finally get to watch tv at night when the kids are sleeping and the room is dark, the pic is the best ive ever seen.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My main concern is the window, I don't want to have to put a curtain in front of the window in the day to watch the tv. Also I'm not sure if I'm going to keep my projector setup, so this tv might be used only when the sun is up and then the projector would take over.

If I can have a do it all tv, it would be nice too.

So far I'm leaning toward the A750, I prefer Plasma, but I'm afraid I'l be disappointed with the glare and brightness.

My budget is around 2000-2500$ I don't want to spend a fortune on a tv right now.

I guess I could also buy a plasma and if I don't like it, return it for something else.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Ok, so you were looking at the A750, and what plasma? At that price range, I am going to go ahead and assume you were considering the Kuro, since it can be had at a ridiculous price atm.

All things considered, if glare is your biggest concern, I would go with the Kuro in this instance. It is an overall better set, and will have less glare than that particular Samsung (or any with the UCP for that matter). If you need the added brightness, then the Samsung may in fact be the better choice for you.

If it were me, I would get the Kuro, it is in fact, that much better than the Samsung.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramazur /forum/post/15598905

Guys, I think there is a dedicated thread for any plasma vs. LCD comparisons. Expect a padlock any moment.

Hence the reason why I asked what models he was comparing.

Read my post a few notches up.

·
Registered
889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingor6 /forum/post/15598493

My budget is around 2000-2500$ I don't want to spend a fortune on a tv right now.

if that is your budget and you are looking for a 50", you would be a fool not to get the 5020 kuro.... there isn't an LCD on the market that can compete with pioneer's 9th gen PDPs

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingor6 /forum/post/15598493

My main concern is the window, I don't want to have to put a curtain in front of the window in the day to watch the tv. Also I'm not sure if I'm going to keep my projector setup, so this tv might be used only when the sun is up and then the projector would take over. If I can have a do it all tv, it would be nice too.

If the TV will exist solely for daytime viewing in an overly bright room, then you might just want to punt and get a good LCD with a matte screen and live with the lesser picture quality. I'm a fan of the Toshiba LCDs and the 52RV530U looks pretty nice as LCDs go. If i had to get a larger LCD, this would be a leading contender.

Quote:
So far I'm leaning toward the A750, I prefer Plasma, but I'm afraid I'l be disappointed with the glare and brightness.....I guess I could also buy a plasma and if I don't like it, return it for something else.

Some big determining factors include the direction(s) that your windows are facing, the location of the TV in relation to them, and even what city/state you live in (for latitude/sunlight-angle purposes). South facing windows tend to let the most light in mid day, while East or West facing windows aren't as big of a problem. North facing windows are often a non-issue since the sun usually doesn't actually shine on them during most of the year (presuming you're in the USA). You may find that a Plasma can work just fine in your room during the day and then you'll have your do it all TV.

Here's a good glare thread that may help:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=769318

·
Registered
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivman /forum/post/15599386

if that is your budget and you are looking for a 50", you would be a fool not to get the 5020 kuro.... there isn't an LCD on the market that can compete with pioneer's 9th gen PDPs

He would be a fool only if he doesn't mind dim screens. He has stated that room light is an issue. In this case a good LCD without a glossy screen will beat any plasma hands down. The plasma will grey out to the point where it is almost unwatchable.

An LCD is MUCH brighter than a Kuro. In a dark room the black level on that LCD won't be as good, until you turn down the backlight. Everyone claims that plasma blacks are great. If you turn down an LCD backlight to the point where the whites are as dim as a plasmas whites then the blacks will be pretty much the same.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism /forum/post/15597938

I think Auditor was referring to overall brightness, not glare.

LCDs will outperform any plasma in a overly bright enviornment. While the blacks on some plasmas will suffer in a bright enviornment, LCDs will shine.

Yes, in an overly bright environment the black levels maintain better for LCD because the phosphors on Plasmas reflect light and turn greyish.

But this is only when they are in a environment with a heavy amount of light.

Not in normal room lighting.

We don't want the OP to believe some when they claim that you have to have a dark room for a plasma. That is complete bull hockey pucks.

The point I was trying to make is that IMO the better blacks you get with a glossy LCD in heavy lighted situations are hindered by heavy reflections that can make the extra black levels useless when you see a reflection of your lamp in the screen.

With my 71F LCD, I could see a clear reflection of any concentrated light source like a lamp or window. Which bothers me much much worse than how a plasma black levels are hurt by heavy light.

Side Note:

I previously said that I am totally happy with the brightness of my Kuro and could care less if future plasmas get super bright like they are going to be getting.

Well, I am going to retract that statement and change my mind on the whole subject.

I am very happy that the newer plasmas (neo's and 10G's) are going to be brighter. That way there can be no more claims that you have to live in a cave to enjoy your plasma, there will be no more confusion between "whiter whites" and "Brighter whites", And Plasma will also appeal more to those that are loooking for that "super bright poppyness".

regardless if all that brightness is needed for a proper picture, It will benefit some. SO its a good thing in my book.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts