AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade my TV in my study. It is the only room in the house that I am allowed to have what I want in it, so I figure I should do it right. Currently I have an early model Sharp Aquos, which is a 27 incher. I am looking to step up both size and quality. I will be using the TV for gaming, watching cable, and movies. Gaming wise, I will be playing on a Xbox 360 Elite plugged into the TV by a HDMI cord. For Cable, I have comcast, there is some HD content, but mostly I do not watch HD content. I think that many of the channels I watch have HD channels, but I just know the channels yet. I would still like a high quality TV that doesn't make non-HD content ultra poor. Finally Movies, I will be watching Blu Ray discs, streaming Netflix, and cable "on-demand" movies. Everything I will be plugging into the TV, will be plugged in via HDMI. I would really like a TV that both plays the HD content and the Non in the best picture possible. I am left wondering having whether I really need a 1080p TV or not. I have found some TVs that look good, but I don't quite know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and one other thing, should I wait until CES to make a finally decision. Will new better stuff be coming out soon, or rather features I will be kicking myself about?

Ideas:

Samsung LN46A950

Samsung LN40A650

Sony Bravia KDL-46XBR8

Sony Bravia KDL-40XBR6

Toshiba 42XV545U

Ideally I would like to stay under 42 inches, but if the picture for a 46 incher will be much better, then it must be done.

·
Registered
108 Posts
There are no replies cause you haven't asked a question that makes sense-

First, decide on your budget, as there is about a 5 thousand dollar discrepancy

second, decide on what you want it for, (first, games, second, movies)

You obviously have done your research so specific questions and comparisons will net more productive answers.

The XBR models just jumped up in price so I would wait on those till they drop.

The Sammys are great, decide which picture/styling you like.

I have similar needs and have gone for the 40 inch cause it will be great for a gaming monitor/internet/AND movies. Go for the huge screen once you have a living room dedicated to viewing tv.

Anka

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.