AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because Ed Van Belkom reported that when he FINALLY got a properly focused and LCD-aligned GW XBR, it made a BIG difference in his picture quality and the black levels, I asked him (via PM) how to tell if my TV was optimum in this regard. He suggested using AVIA with a white grid pattern. I recently sent him this reply, and am sharing it here to describe what I see, and ask what others with the GW XBR see when using these patterns (I have the AVIA-produced Sound&Vision Home Theater Tune-Up test DVD).

On the DVD I brought up the Circle Hatch chart, labeled "Pattern from AVIA Guide to Home Theater Ovation Software, Inc." It is all white. In Vivid and Standard mode I see faint white lines on both sides of the vertical white lines, a little more than 1/8" on each side of the vertical lines. In Pro mode they are much fainter. I had first adjusted the Picture and Brightness according to the test DVD, and I think it needs a boost in Picture and Brightness a bit beyond the DVD-recommended settings -- which would probably make these "side lines" more pronounced. This pattern has the instructions: "Circles combined with crosshatches are used for verifying geometry. Geometry distortions are often easier to see with circles. This pattern is designed for 4:3 aspect ratio displays."

When I bring up the Crosshatch pattern, labeled "Pattern from AVIA Pro -- Ovation Softward," I see a grid of lines purplish-white. Again, about the same 1/8" distance on either side of the vertical lines are blue lines on the left, and yellow lines on the right, and there are the same faint blue-colored lines below each horizontal line, but closer than 1/8" to the white-purplish lines. Again, it's very visible in Vivid and Standard mode, but less so in Pro mode. This pattern has the instructions: "Crosshatch patterns are used for setting geometry and convergence. This pattern features maximal resolution (single pixel width) lines and is specially colored to allow easier visual alignment of red, green, and blue guns."

SO ... DO YOU THINK THIS TV has a convergence or focus or LCD-alignment problem that is preventing it from showing the best picture? I bought it 8 days ago, and it was delivered 5 days ago, so I'm well within the 30 days with Tweeter. Should I ask for a replacement TV based on this (and the fan noise)?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.