AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Samsung DLP that's about 2 years old. The picture is "pincushioned", and after having the warranty company send two different repair guys out for a total of six or seven visits and not be able to fix it... I'm pushing them to just replace it. Since DLPs aren't made any more, I can't see what they could send me other than an LCD. My guess is a Samsung LN52B550 I'm just wondering if there's anything in particular to look out for... have Samsungs become absolute garbage, or is some particular model heads-and-shoulders over all the rest, or ??? Based on how this worked last time (this set was a warranty replacement for an old RPTV that went south on me), I could use the value of the replacement set as a credit towards another set.

Thanks!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had a 1 year old 56" Samsung DLP that could not be repaired. I was given a LN52B550 as a replacement. The set is about the same size physically, with the bezel being thicker. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the LCD. The picture does loose contrast off angle, but because the set is on a swivel base, it can be adjusted easily to the viewing position. I did calibrate the set, but just turning down the backlight, adjusting the brightness and contrast, and putting the picture mode to warm2 will give you a very nice picture. The LN52B550 seems to use a Samsung panel, I have not heard of anyone getting an AU or CM panel with this set.

Honestly... while the B550's are not "top end" Samsungs, they are only missing 120/240hz processing, and the internet stuff. I was worried that the lower end range was going to stink, but the 52" seems to be a gem.

You can check for dead or stuck pixels using an all black and all white test pattern. Other than that, make sure there is no physical damage. Good luck with your swap.

Sean

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanU /forum/post/16936068

I had a 1 year old 56" Samsung DLP that could not be repaired. I was given a LN52B550 as a replacement. The set is about the same size physically, with the bezel being thicker. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the LCD. The picture does loose contrast off angle, but because the set is on a swivel base

It can be wall-mounted, right?

Quote:
I did calibrate the set

How much calibration can there be?

Thanks for the response, Sean.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr /forum/post/16936460

It can be wall-mounted, right?

How much calibration can there be?

Thanks for the response, Sean.

The stand can be removed for wall mounting. There are gain and offset controls in the user menu, and there is a lot more in the service menu. There is an LNxxB550 thread you should look through...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1126988

Sean

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
If you don't have an issue with screen glare you might consider the 55B650 as well. The ultra clear panel really adds to the contrast of the picture. I wouldn't rule out a Samsung plasma either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts