AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

Since my Panasonic PT-AE700u (LCD) projector is dying a slow death due to a bad lcd block / polarizers (i got a blue streak on the right side of the screen thats slowly growing) while still being on the first bulb @ 2500 hours on it.

Im in the market for a new pj. but i want my next projector to last me longer than 1 bulb

So my question is if i should go for lcd or dlp (i read a lot on these 2 technologies and know the ups and downs of each) , but still i have not seen a comparison on which of these has a longer life span on average.

So basically the question is what lasts longer on a low usage projector (my panny 700 lasted me for 5 years with only 2500 hrs on it)

LCD block & polarizers vs Colorwheel ?

·
Registered
564 Posts
I've got to tell you out of all the 3 LCD and 3 DLP projectors I've used or family has, they have all failed at 1 or 2 bulbs time with the issues you've listed above. I'm going to try the Casio Green slim line, but I have a feeling the wheel to make the color green is going to fail like a regular color wheel. The day we can have a DLP projector with a full LED light engine, 2000 lumens, 2000:1 contrast, and a minimum of 720p..... I'm sold! I'd go with DLP because at least the picture looks good until it fails and then there's no picture.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Well, according to the many posts here over the years concerning LCD panels / polarizers failure, it seems that they tend to show up after approximately 3.000 hours of usage with some pjs, with the caveat that LCD panel failure has been pretty much a thing of the past since inorganic panels were introduced by Epson about 3/4 years ago, but the problem hasn't been fully resolved with LCD polarizers, which are still being reported as suffering premature failure.

As for DLP color wheels, i remember reading years ago a paper from Texas Instruments stating that their medium lifetime expectancy was about 25.000 hours of usage, but take that with a grain of salt...

Let's not even get into premature bulb failure, as you can read the many/many posts here as AVS concerning the subject - even after decades of R&D and improvements.

With an average cost of $300 per bulb and considering how "finicky" they are, i promised myself that i would not buy pjs so prone to problems that appear to be mostly related to one aspect of their design, illumination source reliability and internal over-heating causing electronics failure; Since i watch an average of 10 hours of TV every day and i cannot afford one of these LED "beauts" that sell for over $10,000.00 and knowing that within 1 1/2 years or so we'll be able to find them for around $3,000.00 (give or take some $$$), what i did was to buy an inexpensive LED presentation pj to hold me over until such day arrives, and i am not sorry one bit i made such decision by purchasing a LG HX300G XGA pj, which on my screen puts out an incredible picture, considering its cost, LEDs reliability/colors, sharpness and even native contrast.

Do you spend a lot of time watching TV like i do, or do you use you pj for only a couple of hours every day ? How often do you "strike" your pj's lamp everyday, on average ? Does the Panasonic AE700 use inorganic LCD panels or not ? And, if it doesn't, are you sure that the problem lies with the polarizers and not the LCD chips ? Have you tried to compare the onscreen picture/colors of LCD pjs versus DLP pjs and how they "look" to your eyes ? These are just some questions that come to mind...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts