Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am trying hard reading all the forums, various website reviews, going to stores to view them... but having a really hard time picking out a LCD Monitor for the computer. I play a lot of Online Games (Everquest 2, World of Warcraft) and some single player games such as Doom3, etc.

I am hoping that this forum can help me pick out a winner for a monitor. It will probably be 70% games, 20% web surfing / chat / work, 10% Movie viewing. I'm trying to stay under $600 if possible, was hoping for more like $400 or so.

From what I gathered I want a good response time to avoid Ghostings... from what I gathered 8ms is a good target. DVI support should be important also, although some say they can't see a difference between that and analog.

Also, should I get a 19" or the 20.1" Widescreen monitor? When I look monitors larger than 19", they seem to have a higher response time.

Thanks for any input on this, I would really like to get a discussion going so that I can make a more educated decision from real opinions. Maybe this will help others decide as well.

Scott

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
19" tend to be 1280x1024 and faster response time (at least the newer ones).

20"/21" tend to be 1600x1200 and slower response time, if not even older tech.

If I were getting a 4:3 LCD monitor, it'd be a 19". That seems to be where the investment in a better product is. And I like native resolution, but how on earth do you expect to read things at 1600x1200 at only 20"/21"?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies!

I was looking at that Dell monitor in this morning's Sunday paper. I wish I could find some of those coupon codes and such that they have once in awhile. It is a bit pricey, but looks like a really nice monitor. Do you know what the response time is on it? I would hate to see "Ghosting" when playing games.

This is such a hard decision to make! :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, I am a bit confused on these two Dell Monitors?

2005FPW 20.1"

2001FP 20.1"

The FPW is a bit cheaper, but I can't tell what the major differences are between the two?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
2005FPW is widescreen with native resolution of 1680X1050. Looks great with san andreas, far cry, and half-life 2 BTW :)

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozilla
2005FPW is widescreen with native resolution of 1680X1050. Looks great with san andreas, far cry, and half-life 2 BTW :)
For the record my display is an Acer and I have trouble getting games to run at that resolution.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SONY® 19" Silver HS-Series Computer Display With XBRITE™ LCD Technology (SDMHS95PS)

This monitor looks VERY cool, and about the same price as the Dell after the rebates and such. Any thoughts? Might be leaning more this way now. :)

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Martin
For the record my display is an Acer and I have trouble getting games to run at that resolution.
Is it that your display won't accept the resolution natively, or is it that you can't configure games to output that resolution? What is the model of your TV and what connection are you using for your PC and TV?

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
The response time for the 2001FP is 16 ms but in my experience Dell LCDs tend to be very good in the other areas of display quality. Personally I would recommend a LCD with a UXGA resolution if you intend to use it for gaming, but my main recommendation is to get a 4:3 LCD. A widescreen LCD will have trouble with most games since even today most modern games do not support the various widescreen resolutions.

Also I would be cautious of the numbers that companies now give for response time, which used to be based on black-white-black cycle time. Viewsonic uses a reponse time for grey to grey (4 ms) and black-white (5 ms). That is a bit of a deception though since their black-white-black cycle time is around 10 ms. Which is still rather good when compared to most LCDs that have a response time of 16 or 12 ms.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Quote:
How are those apple displays for gaming? Anyone know?
The newer ones are supposedly pretty good. The 20.1" model is essentially the same monitor as the Dell 2005fpw (they use different backlights but the same LCD).

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorScope
I got this one: 4ms Viewonsic 19"
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16824116355
That's the same one I bought last month, after a very long time of reviewing, comparing, testing, etc. The Dell's have great accolades, but there were far too many reports of ghosting & other game abnormalities for me to live with.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.