AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever seen an LCD projector with a convergence problem? I have never heard of this sort of thing until now.

I was given the projector from the office at work when they replaced it. It is a Proxima 5100. Nothing too special. I don't suppose it's worth anything. This is the first digital projector I have ever played with, being a CRT guy. I figured I could put it in the bedroom or something.

The strange thing is, it has a convergence problem. I thought this was impossible with LCD but there it is. The red is shifted to the right. On the left side of the screen, it is fine. The farther right you go, the worse it gets. It seems to get worse as the projector heats up (and it does heat up! Very hot!)

I assume parts inside are heating, expanding, and moving out of place but that's my guess. What exactly goes on inside there? I haven't ventured a look yet. My question is, is this common and is there a way to fix it?

Cody

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I tried looking for specs on the Proxima 5100, but couldn't find any. Anyway - the only thing I can think of is that for three chip LCD projectors one or several of the LCD panels (or prism/mirrors?) might be slightly out of alignment - thus giving you a convergence problem. This is just a shot in the dark btw. If it's a one chip panel then I have no idea...

------------------

/frode

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Yes, it's possible for the LCD panels to be off. I was just reading about someone doing a no no to there Sony 400Q. here is the question and the answer. It sounds like it can be fixed by a professional, so don't do it yourself.

"I was trying to clean the prism block and i had the stupid idea of removing the LCD's from the frame so i can clean it better inside but, when i put the projector back together the convergence is off. Is this fixable or do i have to change the prism block?"

"That was a costly mistake , you will never be able to get

all 3 lcd panels converged without a special jig that is

only in Japan. The cost of a new prism block is $2111.97."

You may want to have your Proxima serviced and let them try to align the panels, only they would have the proper equipment to align all three, however, it is still possible to have slight misalignment of the panels but, still be within the manufacturers spec limit.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I recently demoed a Sanyo that had been knocked out of convergence.

Surprisingly, it actually helped eliminate the screen door to some extent, although I don't think people will want to try this on their own units.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I'm the kind of guy who re-tips his own cartridges for his turntable, so a few misaligned panels don't bother me. I convinced a freind to buy the three Electrohome LCD projectors that where on E-bay a short time back.

Telex 600's. 3 of them. 1024x768 native. All complete, just with misaligned panels. All for $1100.

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.