AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Epson Powerlite 720C LCD projector. One day I foolishly placed it on top of my 12 inch subwoofer cabinet. When I fired up the projector, I noticed a dark band primarily composed of red at the top of the screen (making up about 1/10 of the total viewing area) and a diffuse band of green at the bottom of the screen. the rest of the 80% of the screen has normal color. I immediately removed it from the speaker cabinet (realizing my error) but the problem persists--a month later.

I e-mailed tech support at Epson who were of absolutely no help, they simply directed me to a service center. The service center guy totally poo-pooed that the speaker had anything to do with and asked if I had dropped or otherwise badly jarred the unit--which I haven't. His diagnosis, replacement of the "optical engine"

but he didn't really recommend it as it's $1200.00!

Has this ever happened to anyone? Is it the same case with LCD's that it is with CRT's when a magnetic field is placed too close to the screen? Is there any way to "degauss" LCD panels in a projector? I am now in officially over my head.

kjaalto

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Just to let you know that from my experience at "projector tech inc." a company I work for, magnetic fields will not harm an LCD projector. I really could not comment on what is wrong with the unit unless it was physically looked at and underwent a series of tests. Hopefully someone could help you out with it. ;)

Most manufacturers will diagnose and repair related projector issues but it can be a challenge to actually talk to someone who is directly related in the hands on work. Manufacturers are basically re-and-re oriented which means that projectors are usually exchanged with another refurb unit. Keep up the persistence and it usually pays off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.