1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was an interesting article on slashdot org regarding the

lifespan of LCD vs. DLP projectors

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1049289,00.asp

the direct link is there, and they said that after the torture test, LCD projectors (despite bulb changes) degrade due to the heat and wear and tear, whereas DLP projectors lasted for a long time.

What are your guys thoughts on this? I"m assuming under normal conditions we don't watch it 24hrs a day straight for 4000 hrs. But I'd be curious to hear feedback on people who own LCD projectors for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hmmm, I read an article where the tobacco companies said that their research showed that smoking doesn't cause cancer at all. All kidding aside, Texas Instruments who conducted the study has a very BIG stake in DLP technology. Take the article for whatever it's worth.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'm pretty sure the average user, will not rack up as many hours as these people suggest.

Most I could see myself using is 2 or 3 thousand hours, before wanting to upgrade. The market today is so open, you can buy something for 2k now, and three years later, in its place you will be able to buy something that was selling for 15k when you bought your 2k machine for 2k. .

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
This one's already been debated to death in another thread several weeks ago. Do a search for it and you'll get all kinds of answers. I agree with BackQuack.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jacksonian
This one's already been debated to death in another thread several weeks ago. Do a search for it and you'll get all kinds of answers. I agree with BackQuack.
Yup ... this one has been beaten to death.

BUT, there is some great reading and info thru the other posts. I suggest it for some light reading. Some interesting stuff.

To throw in my same ole' 2 cents that I have thrown in the others ...

TI SPONSORED the study ... it was performed by studens/professors in a highly accreditted college.

Although the window was left open for the study to be slightly tainted ... it would appear TI sponsored the study HOPING it would provide positive results. It did ... so it was released.

I am sure if it had provided negative results ... it would have been buried.

But it was not performed by TI emplyees themselves ... which makes for some valuable info.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've seen LCD degridation first hand with a Sony 10ht. My buddy watches 4:3 content 90% of the time on his 10ht, and with white screen content we can see the lines very evidently.

I posted this half a year ago and several people attacked me saying "are you crazy! LCD cannot have burn" or " f*** you". I feel somewhat vindicated after reading this study, seems I wasn't just "seeing things".

tallvertebrate

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
In fact, the study in no way vindicates you. The study's dubious claims about what goes wrong would not be the kind of thing that results in "burn-in" like vertical lines from displaying a 4:3 image on a 16:9 projector.

The degradation of polarizers or crystal material comes from UV light and/or heat and would be spread across the entirety of the affected panels or in some kind of random format.

LCDs do not burn in and I cannot even begin to guess why you have 4:3 burn-in lines on that Sony. There is just nothing about the way LCDs work that would explain this.

Mark

·
Registered
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
LCDs do not burn in and I cannot even begin to guess why you have 4:3 burn-in lines on that Sony. There is just nothing about the way LCDs work that would explain this.
Just a wild quess, but is it possible that LCD-panel will heat more in black area. When displaying 4:3 centered in 16:9 left and right part of the panel is black all the time and will suck more heat than center part. Maybe LCD-panel will wear more that way?

·
Premium Member
24,986 Posts
"The degradation of polarizers or crystal material comes from UV light and/or heat and would be spread across the entirety of the affected panels or in some kind of random format."

Don't understand this comment; obviously if 4:3 image is being displayed, a 4:3 portion of the optics is subject to the image degradation and will be visible.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hmm, I'm not so sure - the way I see it is the *whole* panel is subject to the heat and light regardless of the aspect of the image projected...

The black sides at each side of a 4:3 image viewed on a 16:9 panel are the result of the panel trying to 'black out' (grey out!) the sides - the lcd panel recieves the full light output right across it's full height & width...

·
Registered
119 Posts
rogo: I see you are one of many who own an LCD projector and feel like you have to defend the technology in some way. I have never said negative things about the technology, in fact I think it's great! However when I used the term "burn" I was in no way saying that it is the same thing as CRT burn. The 4:3 impression on my buddys 10ht is there, and that is fact. If you feel TI's study is "dubious", then purchase the equipment and conduct one yourself.

tk: That's exactly what I thought, but when I used the term burn I angered some LCD owners, hehe...

AngryofMayfair: That makes sense too. perhaps it's something to do with the blocking of light that affects some pixels in different ways than others. It might take an LCD panel engineer to answer this one for us.

tallvertebrate

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yep I think you got it in one - the pixels that are blocking the sides of the panle to form the 4:3 image would probably absorb more heat from the light beam - they are presenting a black face to the light and black absorbs more heat than any colour.

This is an interesting topic and I don't think we have all the answers and facts as yet - PJ's are a new(ish) 'mainstream' technology - time will tell.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Noah, that may be true, but I'm not sure. It's also true that the illumination on the back of the panel is going to be even regardless of what is being displayed and leakage through the front from UV is also going to be even.

What happens in between, I'm not honestly sure about.

What I am sure about is that after 2,500 hours of use, no one's home-theater projector will be damaged so long as they have not run it in such a way to cause it to be exceptionally hot or otherwise abused.

Vertebrate said: "I see you are one of many who own an LCD projector and feel like you have to defend the technology in some way." I do happen to own an LCD. But I didn't even buy it until after this "study" was published, after I was already convinced it was worthless. I didn't have to talk myself into buying the LCD either. I have to defend everything else against misleading or downright false propaganda put out by anyone. In this case, TI is very guilty.

If they wanted a real study, they could've done one. Alas, they didn't want one.

·
Registered
306 Posts
[/quote]

What I am sure about is that after 2,500 hours of use, no one's home-theater projector will be damaged so long as they have not run it in such a way to cause it to be exceptionally hot or otherwise abused.

[/quote]

Well I can't really see how the owner can 'abuse' their PJ - they all seem to have overheat sensors and intake filter sensors that should stop the panels overheating?

This prompts me to ask something that I have wondered about for a while - whilst there are no warnings (that I know of) in my HS10 manual, I wonder what effect setting the contrast up to close to max and increasing the brightness could do as far as long term damage?

I know the lamp has a constant output regardless of the contrast and brightness settings but I wonder how these settings actually work and if they could cause long term damage...

FWIW I run my HS10 on a fairly dark grey screen and I need the contrast around 92 and the brightness around 55...

·
Registered
119 Posts
rogo: if Ericbres is right, and the study was performed by a college and not directly by TI, then that would make it more believable. If you think about it, TI would have had a hard time covering it up if the results had been positive, since the college would more than likely publish the results regardless.

But you have the right to believe that TIs study is "downright false propaganda". I however have witnessed the results, and unless my buddy took his machine apart and painted a 4:3 impression onto his panel, then degradation has occurred at least once.

tallvertebrate

·
Registered
129 Posts
tallvertebrate- Does your friend leave the PJ on for long periods? Has he tweaked the RGB settings for a filter?

I had 4:3 burn in on an HS10 at 900 hours. I used it almost exclusivly for 4:3 material and left it on for many hours/days at a time, sometimes whole weekends. I just replaced it for other reasons. A few nights before I replaced it I put on a 16:9 movie and was shocked to see the burn in. I took the lens filter off to see if it had warped etc. Nope, the panels were just darker on the sides. Needless to say I am much more careful with the replacement HS10. I wonder if the warranty would cover such a thing, seeing as there are no warnings about leaving it in any single mode or usage suggestions in the manual. I wish there was an option to turn the borders grey, then just mask the screen with felt. Hmm.. maybe its in the service mode somewhere...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Very interesting!

When it was left on for long periods was there a signal to it? Was it showing a moving picture or just a blue or black screen?

BTW I like the idea of the black felt to mask the edges but it's a bit inconvenient if you mix formats. OTOH perhaps if you mix formats the problem doesn't exist?

But then what happens if (say) you mainly use the HS10 to view widescreen movies 99% of time and then you play back a genuine 16:9 program? Would the narrower widescreen then show burn in with two horizontal darker strips top and bottom???

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.