AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See attachments of a display issue on a Sony KDL40V2500. It is showing false contour, loses all dark details. What should be black is now blue. What might be the problem. Is it an expensive fix? The set is out of warranty. Should I bother to have it fixed?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Could be a few different things-

"Main" board- about $400

Tcon board - about $100

LCD Panel - $2500

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
In today's disposable society, it may be cheaper to replace it than to repair it.

If you do get it fixed, you'll still have an older (not old) TV.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The set is out of warrenty means its quite old set....i think repairing will cost you much...but still have a word with the concerned person, check out the cost and if you find the cost is less....go for repairing if not go for a new advanced one.....

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by virp123 /forum/post/17024895

The set is out of warrenty means its quite old set....i think repairing will cost you much...but still have a word with the concerned person, check out the cost and if you find the cost is less....go for repairing if not go for a new advanced one.....

Uh, that's what he said in Link #4.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They came back and said the LCD panel needs to be replaced - $2200. I told Sony that I am going to buy a new TV. Whether I'll consider Sony again depends on what assistant I might get from them. The rep told me they'll work on it and get back to me. The TV is 3 months over the warranty period.

Anyone with similar experience with an out of warranty defect please chime in.

·
Registered
472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster904 /forum/post/17027053

They came back and said the LCD panel needs to be replaced - $2200. I told Sony that I am going to buy a new TV. Whether I'll consider Sony again depends on what assistant I might get from them. The rep told me they'll work on it and get back to me. The TV is 3 months over the warranty period.

Anyone with similar experience with an out of warranty defect please chime in.

I know this is fairly obvious, but just in case, did you use a credit card for the original purchase for the CC warranty extension?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update - Sony sent me a KDL40V4100 for $135. Picture is quite a bit better than the old V2500. I got to keep that one, too.

·
Registered
472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster904 /forum/post/17217666

Update - Sony sent me a KDL40V4100 for $135. Picture is quite a bit better than the old V2500. I got to keep that one, too.

You have to give them points for customer service. $135, does that get you any warranty on the new display? If not, maybe an inexpensive Extended warranty would be in order. Just in case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts