AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of getting a LCD/DVD combo for my dorm room this fall... but I'm having trouble picking one. There's a Magnavox 26" at CC and a Toshiba 23" at BB that I'm considering. I don't want to spend more than $1400... and I'm not planning on using the LCD for a monitor. Does anyone have any experience with either of these models?

Or is a LCD/DVD combo not that great of an idea? If not, I was planning on getting a flat-tube TV with a DVD player... an LCD would be nicer, with the space saving, but I'm just not sure.

I read through the other dorm threads but most of them are also going to use the LCD as a monitor (along with it not being a DVD combo), but I am not, so I need some clarification.

Thanks!

·
Registered
804 Posts
It is a nice display thats why I recommended it, how are you doing Chris btw, its been a little bit since we talked. Check your cable questions thread(s) too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't think it is a good idea to get one. I would get a nice LCD TV with a computer imput in it. I know that you said that you don't need computer connectivity, but once HD-DVD players come out, you can upgrade by putting one in your computer and then using it to watch movies and record them. If you still wan't a DVD LCD then I would get the LG 23" TV. It seems to have the best picture out of any DVD combo I have seen.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeManFoo
I don't think it is a good idea to get one. I would get a nice LCD TV with a computer imput in it. I know that you said that you don't need computer connectivity, but once HD-DVD players come out, you can upgrade by putting one in your computer and then using it to watch movies and record them. If you still wan't a DVD LCD then I would get the LG 23" TV. It seems to have the best picture out of any DVD combo I have seen.
Agreed on everything you said, however if he just wants the dvd player for convenience it will be just fine.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't know how important integrated DVD is to you, but this might be worth a look. It's a free dvd player with purchase of a 32 inch tv. I can't post an url but pcconnection has a Olevia lt32hve w/dvd player thrown in. It's in your price range.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie
I was thinking of getting a LCD/DVD combo for my dorm room this fall... but I'm having trouble picking one. There's a Magnavox 26" at CC and a Toshiba 23" at BB that I'm considering. I don't want to spend more than $1400... and I'm not planning on using the LCD for a monitor. Does anyone have any experience with either of these models?

Or is a LCD/DVD combo not that great of an idea? If not, I was planning on getting a flat-tube TV with a DVD player... an LCD would be nicer, with the space saving, but I'm just not sure.

I read through the other dorm threads but most of them are also going to use the LCD as a monitor (along with it not being a DVD combo), but I am not, so I need some clarification.

Thanks!
Ahh, haven't you already forgot that putting a LCD TV in your college dorm room is more attractive to thieves?

·
Registered
58 Posts
i think you could get a decent LCD monitor, a good tv tuner card(could be USB ones to save installation troubles) and a good set of speaker, and then hook your computer for this purpose.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yep.

You can look for when Dell has another sale (they have been having a lot lately) and pick up a 19" or 20" (Hell, even the 24" is about $750).

Then go to a site like Viewsonic and get something like the N4 video converter (About $100). You can also get a pair of speakers, or just use an old set of computer speakers (you could probably pick them up at E-Bay used for $5).

You could also hook the N4 directly thru your stereo to get sound.

We did that with an old Rad5 monitor for the kitchen and it works great!

The N4 is small, about the size of the old conventional cable boxes (not the ancient ones). You could also get a decent cheap DVD player as well.

Putting all this together will probably cost less than getting an All-in-1 system, but admittedly, it will not look as "sleak". (Sleek?)...

Oh, I also agree that you should THINK about getting a set that CAN accept things from a computer, even though that would not be the main purpose. You replace TV's a lot less often than computer equipment and who knows, you may want to have it display stuff from your new laptop when you come home rather than having to deal with the tiny screen.......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan
Ahh, haven't you already forgot that putting a LCD TV in your college dorm room is more attractive to thieves?
Yes, I've read that and I am aware of the dangers of theft. I'm actually a summer freshman, meaning that I've already lived on campus, in a dorm, for 11 weeks. In my experience, because I was so paranoid about theft, by locking your door anytime you're in or out (even to walk down the hallway for 3 seconds to use the restroom) cuts down on the theft a lot.

I'm living in an all girls' dorm this fall, and I don't truly expect the experience to be different. Doesn't mean I'm not aware, though =D

I'm taking into account all of what y'all have said... I would really prefer an LCD/DVD combo, but I'll look into the other deals. Where I have in mind to put the LCD is a narrow space, about 10 inches deep, which makes an LCD perfect. A computer input would be a bonus, but I'm keeping in mind that I'm getting an apartment next year, so having my laptop by the TV to watch DVDs and such doesn't appeal to me... I'd rather have it all together in a combo.

If worst comes to worst, I'll be fine getting a regular TV with a DVD player integrated, and give up my dresser... and mirror... :eek: haha

·
Registered
673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_006
I like how that DVD player plays DVD-A and the TV itself uses Faroudja DVDi...

Nice features.
Actually, it's Faroudja DCDi, not DVDi :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I own the Toshiba LCD/DVD combo and have it in the bedroom. It's a nice TV. PQ is good, not great. Some newer LCD panels I've seen have better PQ. Still for the bedroom, it good enough. The integrated DVD player works well, never had an issue with it. I find the lack of an eject button on the remote a little annoying since my TV is sitting up on a cabinet such that seeing the eject button on the top of the set is tough. Not a big deal once you remember it's the last button on the right :D

HTH,

Spyder

·
Registered
50 Posts
PQ = Picture Quality. Sorry, I forget not everyone is a geek sometimes.

Cheers,

Spyder

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
=D thanks

after much debate, I think I'll get a clunky TV... the 27" Toshiba vcr/dvd combo... or is it triple? since its half the price... and less likely to be stolen, with it being a whopping 97 pounds. And less than half the price of the LCDs. My dad is more agreeable with the price, too, hehe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.