AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new HP dv3t laptop. I need an external monitor for it for both PC use and watching movies. The laptop has an HDMI port and the Intel 4500MHD on-board graphics, which will only output 1920x1080 at up to 30 Hz.

I tried connecting the laptop to three different TVs I already own, and everything looked acceptably good. So I went out and bought a new LG 23" LCD (W2361V-PF) from Best Buy. For some reason that monitor flickers terribly at 1920x1080 30 Hz when I'm using it as a PC. Movies still look fine, but Windows 7 in general looks terrible. Any ideas why this might be happening? I plan to return the monitor, so any ideas on specs I should look for that might indicate the new monitor will look better at this resolution?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Apparently this was a cable issue. I tried another HDMI cable, which appeared to be of a lesser quality than the first one, and was about the same length. It was the only other cable I had, so I tried it. I was able to get 1920*1080 @ 60 Hz with the new cable. And the flickering is gone.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Is it flickering or is all movement such as mouse movement jumpy since you are using such a slow refresh rate for PC applications. Back in the days of CRT PC monitors you may recall that to avoid flickering or jumpy PC applicasions a refresh rate of 70 or better was normally used in the US since even 60 Hz was considered jumpy by many users.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/17014554

Is it flickering or is all movement such as mouse movement jumpy since you are using such a slow refresh rate for PC applications. Back in the days of CRT PC monitors you may recall that to avoid flickering or jumpy PC applicasions a refresh rate of 70 or better was normally used in the US since even 60 Hz was considered jumpy by many users.

It was flickering, meaning it was flashing on and off. Very annoying and almost unusable. I would expect to see jumpy movements at 30 Hz but not this weird flashing. I guess the cable I was using wasn't so good, and this particular display isn't as tolerant of dirty signals as the other TVs I tested. Anyway, all is well now with the different cable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.