AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother is a sculptor for a company that does highly detailed figures from mostly movie and video game characters (Alien, Predator, LOTR, Sin City, Harry Potter, Gears of War, Resident Evil, etc.). He usually receives reference photos from the studios to recreate, as close as possible, the characters he's sculpting. Sometimes he doesn't receive enough detailed photos to get things right. When that happens, he pops in a DVD and uses the pause function for extended periods. Currently he has an older 35-inch Sony CRT. He needs a new (larger) TV and Blu-Ray player to accomplish his job more effectively.

Because he has to pause images for long periods and needs extreme detail clarity LCD makes since versus plasma. So, with this in mind what TV(s) would you recommend? Here's what we're working with:

1. Seating distance will be 4 to 7 feet (42 inch might be a little too large but he did mention that a lot of the movies are in a super-wide format, like Alien, so a larger screen might be preferable.)

2. Budget limit is around $1,200.00

3. Must be 1080P

4. Should have decent blacks levels

5. Would be convenient if it could also function as a computer monitor

I look for forward to your recommendations.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCW1 /forum/post/15419461

1. Seating distance will be 4 to 7 feet (42 inch might be a little too large but he did mention that a lot of the movies are in a super-wide format, like Alien, so a larger screen might be preferable.)

for this, someobody on these forums whose name i've forgotten posted this link for a great site that computes the different sizes for different sized 16:9 displays (as well as 4:3) for comparison -- width, height and area in sq. inches

AND

it shows the dimensions for the 2 most common hdtv movie formats as well for the display size entered. it's great and should be useful for your brother in determining what sized set he might want.

http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi

here's another one that was posted in the same thread
http://www.displaywars.com/46-inch-16x9-vs-61-inch-16x9

as far as the particular set narrow your dollar amount to a target and then go from there (i.e. spend more than you ever planned on). to narrow it down, you might want to visit a site like www.cnet.com that reivews a ton of sets each year and look for sets that meet your dollar level as well as perhaps hone in on sets that have good color rendition if that part is important to him.

TVbc

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TVbc,

That second website is pretty cool. When he's watching 2.35:1 movies like T2 on his 35 inch 4:3 TV it looks like the equivalent 16:9 would come in at around 32 inches, if I worked that out right. In other words the letterboxed image would be about the same size on both TVs. With that in mind I figure he'd probably do well with a 40-inch screen, especially since he's mentioned hooking his laptop to it. I noticed the Samsung LN40A530 getting fairly good reviews here and I've seen some good prices lately (especially just before Christmas). Maybe I'll steer him in that direction. Hopefully after the new year more discounts will start popping up again.

As far a color rendering and calibration, he's used to an older (I think it's a 2002 model) 65-inch Mitsubishi that's had a full-blown ISF calibration. The set still looks stellar. I was so impressed that I got a 55-inch Mits a couple years later and had the calibration performed. Both TVs look great, although, I did have to get my convergence repaired a while back. I hope that whatever LCD he eventually gets doesn't let him down since he's used the excellent image on his RPTV.

Please feel free to keep the recommendations coming. Those who've used their LCD as a computer monitor, please chime in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.