AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if the LCD technology will gradually and slowly become better and better like it has over the past years, or if we´ll see a little jump from all the competition now, and also if LED backlighting will become available soon from any of the manufacturers(Philips recently made some contract with LumiLEDS, so they must be working on something.. are they the only ones?) and how that will affect PQ.

I think when there will be something available with Plasma PQ, and doesn´t suffer from burn-in and isn´t alot more expensive than plasma.. then my hair might actually grow back.

http://www.lumileds.com/newsandevent...2_Mitsu_PR.pdf ... it seems that Mitsubishi allready has a LED LCD?

"Gerard Harbers, Advanced Development Manager for Lumileds, showed a compelling LED demo and described the advantages of LED backlights over CCFLs, namely brightness, response time, purer spectrum and environmental friendliness. He claims that LEDs will be equal to CCFLs in terms of energy efficiency by next year"

"The benefits to end-users are huge. The larger color gamut, up to 130% of NTSC in the backlight, will let the user enjoy an enhanced viewing experience with more saturated and real-life colors"

"Tunable backlight white point (maintains full LCD contrast),Real-time color management,Enables Field Sequential Backlight control for larger panels"

http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/techpaperspres/SID-BA.pdf .. Blinking backlighting, dynamic backlighting?

What does all this mean?

Better LCD´s? How much so... and when(will we se a dramatic improvement SOON or is this something that will come slowly in the years to come).. and by whom??

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
keyser,

Great info, the techpaper is very informative.

I've also read many other SID papers on LCD and Plasma. Lots of interesting info:

- multicolor LEDs (for LCD backlight)

- Mercury free CCFL lamps (for LCD backlight)

- High efficiency/Low Power AMLCDs

- flexible LCD

- spray on LCD

- Tiled LCD (no visible seam)

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LCD seems to have alot more potential than I thought. With LED backlighting it will have a much better colour gamut and increased brightness along with lots of other nice stuff(dynamic brightness, blinking backlight?). Now all they have to do is increase contrast(unfortunately by alot) and LCD could really be the ultimate display.

The technology to have LED backlighting seems to be there, as LumiLeds have a display to show off how much better LED backlighting looks... so why aren´t any of the major LCD manufacturers manufacturing this? I haven´t even heard of this even happening in the near future except at the Philips site. I hope Sharp does something with this technology because I think the Aquos looks fantastic.

A next generation Aquos with improved contrast (and response time wouldn´t hurt any), and with LED lighting so also much better colour gamut, lifetime and brightness, and maybe also have it 1080p (the 720p ones don´t fully display 720p says projectorexpert.com). Couldn´t that possibly be an awesome display for the home theater?

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
I think the problem with LEDs as backlighting is getting a uniform lighting behind the LCDs. This will be VERY difficult over a large area of screen. It may require defusing the light using holograms and other techniques which can increase the depth of the screen! I'm not sure if this is the correct way to go, or if OLED will catch up in this respect...

In any case, small screen Aquos have already reached a point where they more than usable for DVD displays (IMHO).

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Ofer,

Isn´t there a decent sized LCD on the LumiLed site, showing off the greater colours of LED backlighting??

You say the smaller Aquos´ look great, but from the specs at projectorexpert they have pretty awfull contrast/black levels(the same as the pio plasma) compaired to the panny plasma and also it doesn´t fully display 720p. But the Sharp site says that the 37 has much better contrast than the smaller ones (800:1 against 500:1). What do you make of all this?

I read that Sharp are opening a factory in Mexico and that they will drop LCD prices and start making 60" models next year, I wonder if they will have better specs(especially contrast and view angle.. maybe even resolution) than the current models or simply be larger?

LCD´s don´t become less bright with more resolution do they, like plasma(the HD panny is less bright than the SD one)??

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
knudsonwe,

I wasn´t refering to age. The more resolution plasmas have(HD vs SD), the less bright they are(atleast the panny´s). I think it has something to do with they aren´t able to get as much light out of the smaller pixels than the bigger ones, I think that´s partly the reason why HD plasmas aren´t as good for SD sources as SD plasmas (but scaling issues are probably much more important).

So I´m wondering if they would make a 1080p Aquos, would that mean it wouldn´t be as bright as an 720p Aquos(but my guess it that it doesn´t matter on LCD´s).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.