AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a couple LCDs for two guest bedrooms. They won't be used very often, so I think we'll only run an SD signal to them (i.e., not going to pay for additional monthly charges for high-def boxes). Is it correct that I should only get 480p or at most 720p to display an SD signal? In other words, will an SD signal look worse on a 1080p display than a 480p?

Edit: the rooms are about 13x13, so I'm planning on 37" displays.

·
Registered
8,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkinnyc /forum/post/18184608

I'm looking to buy a couple LCDs for two guest bedrooms. They won't be used very often, so I think we'll only run an SD signal to them (i.e., not going to pay for additional monthly charges for high-def boxes). Is it correct that I should only get 480p or at most 720p to display an SD signal? In other words, will an SD signal look worse on a 1080p display than a 480p?

Edit: the rooms are about 13x13, so I'm planning on 37" displays.

The Bad News: I only have ratings for four 37 inch models. Unfortunately, the model that displayed the best picture quality with SD material is not cheap. It is the Samsung LN37B650 and is $980 delivered from Amazon.

The Good News: While the above Samsung has Excellent Picture Quality with SD material, these 3 models still rated Very Good with SD.

Panasonic TC-L37S1

LG 37LH55

LG 37LH30

The LG37LH30 is $611 delivered from Amazon.

Best Regrards

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18184866

The Bad News: I only have ratings for four 37 inch models. Unfortunately, the model that displayed the best picture quality with SD material is not cheap. It is the Samsung LN37B650 and is $980 delivered from Amazon.

The Good News: While the above Samsung has Excellent Picture Quality with SD material, these 3 models still rated Very Good with SD.

Panasonic TC-L37S1

LG 37LH55

LG 37LH30

The LG37LH30 is $611 delivered from Amazon.

Best Regrards

Thanks much, spyboy. That's very helpful. Any chance you could point me to the ratings you're referring to?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
AFAIK there no TVs available anymore with a native resolution of 480P and all of the "720p" models have a native resolution of 1366x768. In any case you are correct in stating that SD upscaled to 1080p looks worse then when upscaled to 720p

In any case you don't need to buy anything from your cablle company if you wiould be happy with just the HD broadcasters in your local area and with analog SD from your cable company since the Tuners in the new TVs will allow you receive both analog and HD clearQAM(inencrypted) channels from your your cable company wall outlet.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
If price is not a concern, look at Toshiba's website their LCD's have some type of processor chip that will scale and make SD look very close to HD.

or at least much better than, it normally would on any other LCD TV.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If those aren't TVs that will be used often you could just look for some used CRT on Craiglist. I always see a bunch of people selling them

I would also check out the latest ConsumerReports Issue on TV's. You might find some helpful info in there.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgold /forum/post/18185457

If those aren't TVs that will be used often you could just look for some used CRT on Craiglist. I always see a bunch of people selling them

I would also check out the latest ConsumerReports Issue on TV's. You might find some helpful info in there.

+1, for guest bedrooms why spend the money?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I guess an LG 42 Plasma that has 720p Native resolution 1280x720 would be the best at SD signal

because Plasmas are better for SD, and are better for motion, and you will get a cleaner image, Plus less noise or problems because its less scaling and math for the TV's processor to compute

480i to 720p

I know during Black Friday, 2009 they has a 42 Plasma for $470

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold /forum/post/18185635

I guess an LG 42 Plasma that has 720p Native resolution 1280x720 would be the best at SD signal

because Plasmas are better for SD, and are better for motion, and you will get a cleaner image, Plus less noise or problems because its less scaling and math for the TV's processor to compute

480i to 720p

I know during Black Friday, 2009 they has a 42 Plasma for $470

Thanks, Ice. I couldn't agree more that a 42" Panny would be great. My family seems to think that they'll be too big for the rooms--and that most people would agree. 37" was our compromise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts