AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure you guys get this question around here, but I've got a 46" LED Samsung T.V. currently, but the T.V. just plain sucks. I've heard Plasma's are better for heavy gaming, and dark room usage, which is mainly the environment that I provide, I need a T.V. in the 1400 and under price range. I don't know much about Plasma's so could someone point me in the right direction of a great plasma T.V. to get in that price range, I prefer the television to be no larger than 46".

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrif /forum/post/19517059

I'm sure you guys get this question around here, but I've got a 46" LED Samsung T.V. currently, but the T.V. just plain sucks. I've heard Plasma's are better for heavy gaming, and dark room usage, which is mainly the environment that I provide, I need a T.V. in the 1400 and under price range. I don't know much about Plasma's so could someone point me in the right direction of a great plasma T.V. to get in that price range, I prefer the television to be no larger than 46".

The 46" Panasonic TC-P46G25 immediately comes to mind..... and it's well within your price range. The other two makers' good TVs start at the 50" size, and the ones below 50 inches are 42" 720 models (they don't make anything inbetween).

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrif /forum/post/19517138

I'd be willing to go a little bigger, but not much. 50 inch would be fine, but the price area is firm.

The List Price on the 50" G25 only a hundred bucks more than the 46" version, and sometimes you can even find the 50 incher for less since the 46" size is a bit of an oddball in the plasma world.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are the Television's that I can choose from that are available in my local area that seem to have the best reviews, which one is best if I did decide to get a Plasma. Now if these aren't better than an LCD I'd prefer to just go LCD because there are some decent LG and Vizio around the same price range of the LED variety. Thanks for any suggestions.

50" LG Plasma 1080p 600Hz HDTV 50PK540
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...navAction=push

50" Panasonic 1090p 600Hz HDTV TC-P50G20
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasoni...&skuId=9788953

·
Registered
324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrif /forum/post/19517702

Here are the Television's that I can choose from that are available in my local area that seem to have the best reviews, which one is best if I did decide to get a Plasma. Now if these aren't better than an LCD I'd prefer to just go LCD because there are some decent LG and Vizio around the same price range of the LED variety. Thanks for any suggestions.

There are people on avs who push the type or brand of tv they own just because its there personel preference but from everything I read and experienced plasma is the way to go for picture and also price. plasmas have better off angle viewing, better blacks, little if any motion blur, which if your a gamer is really important. From what I understand the g20 is alot like the g25 . For good info on the tvs your considering go to the chadb tv review thread where he ranks a lot of the tvs and does a report on each one it will open your eyes trust me.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrif /forum/post/19517702

Between these two the Panasonic gets the nod. PK540 is more for very value conscious buyers. A decent panel but with a hand full of issues. Let's just say you would virtually need to have the PK540 ISF calibrated to try to bring it up to G20 picture quality.

The G20 and G25 are almost identical except that the G25 has Viera Link (with network camera).

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
rongo, both g20/25 are 2D. GT models are 3D. For serious, heavy gaming use G20/25 seems to be better... or alternatively c7000, but I would probably side with the G20/25 since it's ever so slightly less prone to temporary IR. For heavy/hardcore gaming use as the primary intended use, I would probably go with that... or the VT25 if you can find it cheap enough on a crazy sale. GT20/25 may also be nice if you can find it in that range.

Samsung c7000, Panasonic GT series, and VT series are all 3D plasmas in case that's important to you. Seems to be more significant for gamers than for movies. Panasonic G20/25 models are 2D only.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k /forum/post/19518485

Doug, can you explain why the Samsung sucks? It could help us help you.

I was under the impression that most of samsungs LED line were pretty nice sets.

I've explained it in the official thread for the T.V. but the short explanation is my original television was amazing for the first three months of ownership, this was the new 2010 lineup. It eventually developed color bleeding issues that were very noticeable.

Samsung completely replaced the panel with there new SQ02 panel and the problem existed in the new panel, although not as bad. Over the course of a week it got bad and I called Samsung again. Another repair guy came again and said they couldn't fix the T.V. anymore and that it needed to be replaced.

I was cool with that so I called Samsung and it took over a month to get a new T.V. because of all the run-a-rounds that Samsung kept giving me. The only reason it finally got done was because we involved Sam's Club and they were very helpful.

Yesterday I went and got exchanged for the new T.V. and got new HDMI cables again and the problem is 10x's as worse as it ever was on the first T.V.. Also last night I found out that the white hookup on the back didn't not work for my surround sound headset.

The picture is amazing on the T.V. when it works, but unfortunately it seems that these new SQ02 panels may be pure ****. Because of these problems I'm probably going to stay away from Samsung for now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover /forum/post/19519038

rongo, both g20/25 are 2D. GT models are 3D. For serious, heavy gaming use G20/25 seems to be better... or alternatively c7000, but I would probably side with the G20/25 since it's ever so slightly less prone to temporary IR. For heavy/hardcore gaming use as the primary intended use, I would probably go with that... or the VT25 if you can find it cheap enough on a crazy sale. GT20/25 may also be nice if you can find it in that range.

Samsung c7000, Panasonic GT series, and VT series are all 3D plasmas in case that's important to you. Seems to be more significant for gamers than for movies. Panasonic G20/25 models are 2D only.

Thanks for your input, I'm definitely looking for 2D only, because I'm going to try and stay away from 3D for as long as possible. I don't really want to jump into the generation of 3D that requires glasses, if glassless technology is right around the corner.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I know I will take heat for this, but I have two close friends who purchased Samsung LED backlit sets in 2009. Both have been extremely unhappy. Biggest complaint is that colors seem to shift and more especially, certain features on screen, mainly human faces, seem to change to a quality that appears computer generated as on a video game. One friend payed his place of purchase for calibration and color and gray scale appear to be right on target. Also both have tried the various modes for motion smoothing and I believe both are completely turned off.

I do not believe either thinks that they have a defective set, but I know that both are considering selling their units with the hopes of receiving enought money to obtain an equivilant size plasma.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Even the Panasonic S2 would probably give you better picture quality especially in terms of blacks and contrast (and motion) compared with your Samsung LED-lit LCD.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay well I've narrowed my T.V. decision down to two choices. I wanted to have the second choice be the LG LH90 but sadly Best Buy doesn't have anymore, and I have no clue what the 2010 equivalent is, if there is any at all, so my choices are the following:

LG LE5400

Or

Panasonic TC-P50G20

Putting any biased aside you might have, which would some of you get for gaming? I care about picture quality as well, not just lag.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrif /forum/post/19520637

Okay well I've narrowed my T.V. decision down to two choices. I wanted to have the second choice be the LG LH90 but sadly Best Buy doesn't have anymore, and I have no clue what the 2010 equivalent is, if there is any at all

The LH90 was one LCD TV that i would actually buy if i wanted something other than a Plasma, but from what i've read the replacement(s) for the LH90 are reportedly not as good and i think they're more reflective too.

Quote:
so my choices are the following:

LG LE5400

Or

Panasonic TC-P50G20

Putting any biased aside you might have, which would some of you get for gaming? I care about picture quality as well, not just lag.

Despite my bias toward Plasma, the G20/G25 series still seems to be the best choice. And didja ever stop to think just why so many of us are biased toward plasma?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/19521168

The LH90 was one LCD TV that i would actually buy if i wanted something other than a Plasma, but from what i've read the replacement(s) for the LH90 are reportedly not as good and i think they're more reflective too.

Despite my bias toward Plasma, the G20/G25 series still seems to be the best choice. And didja ever stop to think just why so many of us are biased toward plasma?

Yep, which is why I'm about 90/10 for plasma. Not only does it seem to be great, I will also save 400 on my return of the Samsung LED.

·
Registered
722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrif /forum/post/19521303

Yep, which is why I'm about 90/10 for plasma. Not only does it seem to be great, I will also save 400 on my return of the Samsung LED.

I still think my Laser LED DLP cant be beat, though Plasma is the way to go below 60"

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Tech /forum/post/19521313

I still think my Laser LED DLP cant be beat, though Plasma is the way to go below 60"

Your Laser LED DLP doesn't exist. You either have a LED DLP or a Laser DLP. They are two distinct mechanisms for backlighting. There are some other dev. laser-based tech out there, but nothing remotely close to hitting the mainstream.

DLP in general are meh. Reliability is not that great, though PQ is very enjoyable. I'm just happy my DLP died in warranty so I wasn't out several grand like so many other DLP buyers were.

Laservue is promising, but insanely expensive. Plus, have they even fixed the spontaneous failure problems and light cap issues that were plaguing many of the first gen?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts