AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new to the forum. I'm looking for tips on buying a new LCD HDTV 52 inch. What is the best brand to buy as far as good repair history? Also, what accessories do I need? I read where some people say to buy a UPS instead of a power surge protector. Do I really need the expensive HDMI cables? I'm using Dish Network.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Unfortunately I have to agree with MrBobb. Today's sets seem to be dropping like flies even though they are only a few years old. Samsung/Sony/LG seem to be some of the better ones, at least you can get parts at a reasonable cost. With no name sets parts are expensive if you can even get them at all.

Don't waste your money on high $$ HDMI cables, the $9.95 ones work just as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm new to the LED TV too. I've been using my old '99 Phillips 50" projection to this date and plan to jump into the current age around Christmas. Does a HDMI cable normally come with a new LCD HDTV? I'm on DirecTV. I"ll have to upgrade to their HD programing after I get the TV.

I've been doing some research on the new backlit LED TV's coming out. These units seem to be the next level in TV's. I can tell you right now the Samsung will be out of my price range. I've been researching the Vizio VF551XVT for awhile. It seems to have everything I'm looking for. I really don't need to top of the line and the Vizio seems to have come a long way in the past few years. Man, there are so many choices out there.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
If you are on a tight budget poke around on Craigslist. Sometimes you can find a real bargain on a late model projection HD set. I picked up my 2004 Mitsubishi WS65513 for $100. Just needed DM caps and a 9V regulator, less than $150 total invested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts