AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen many HDTV's w/HDMI inputs and Optical Digital outputs. Do these TV's pass the audio portion of the HDMI signal through to a AVR if you connect the Optical Digital to it?

This would help me narrow down a candidate for an HDTV considerably. Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broseph /forum/post/0

Bump

There's gotta be an "expert" out there that knows the answer to this question. Or maybe there isn't ...

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that 'some' do what you're saying.

Also some do more than others:

Some will only output digital audio from the tuner on the digital out.

Some will output digital audio from digital sources (digital audio in, and hdmi in) but not from analog sources.

Others will digitize the analog audio, and always put some audio out on the digital output.

Some fraction of these may even allow volume control (and /or equalization) of the digital audio before it leaves the TV.

You need to have a specific TV model in mind to really get the answer you're looking for.

-Kyle

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmcdonald /forum/post/0

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that 'some' do what you're saying.

Also some do more than others:

Some will only output digital audio from the tuner on the digital out.

Some will output digital audio from digital sources (digital audio in, and hdmi in) but not from analog sources.

Others will digitize the analog audio, and always put some audio out on the digital output.

Some fraction of these may even allow volume control (and /or equalization) of the digital audio before it leaves the TV.

You need to have a specific TV model in mind to really get the answer you're looking for.

-Kyle

Is there any way to figure this stuff out from advertised specs or do I need to download several on-line manuals/go into all the owner threads of specific models. Researching this stuff has been a bear

·
Registered
743 Posts
According to the HDMI specs, it will pass through DD but only in 2.0, not 5.1. This is not dependent upon the brand of TV, it's the way HDMI is designed. I am not aware of any set that passes through 5.1. You'll have to connect your source directly to your receiver.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Can you generally set the video to output over HDMI, but the audio over optical? I have an older 5.1 receiver which doesn't have HDMI so I am hoping to be able to pass the video signal over HDMI and the audio over optical. Is this typically device dependent or do most devices allow for this?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugga22 /forum/post/0

Can you generally set the video to output over HDMI, but the audio over optical? I have an older 5.1 receiver which doesn't have HDMI so I am hoping to be able to pass the video signal over HDMI and the audio over optical. Is this typically device dependent or do most devices allow for this?

That's been my second question. But after a discussion with a BB sales rep yesterday, I've decided to change my mind completely on this issue.

It turns out that HDMI is great if you have a reciever that can decode the audio portion and pass the video portion to your display.

It's also great if you're doing 1080p HD/BD DVD's or Broadcast's.

But - and IMO a very big but - if you are doing 720p, Component cables tend to display the same quality or better, and you can just use the SPDIF for your 5.1 audio, as this is not bundled with the video.

Now on the other hand HDMI is the wave of the future, but if you only plan on getting a 720p monitor (like myself) it's only neccessary to have 1-2 HDMI inputs for future connectivity issues if they do away with the component format.

For my money/system I'll stick with the 720p w/component and save 2,500-3,000 (starting cost) on a reciever that can process HDMI audio instead of simply passing it through to the monitor.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but until cost to benefit catches up with HDMI component suits me just fine

·
Registered
812 Posts
I can answer your original question for my Sharp LC46DU. The TV is connected to my AVR via optical output. I have a toshiba HD-A2 and PS3 connected to the tv via HDMI. When I have the HD-A2 running the TV outputs 2 channel sound via optical, not DD or DTS. When the PS3 is running nothing is outputted via optical. My normal audio setup is both the A2 and PS3 optical are connected to my AVR. So to summarize tdo not count on the optical output having sound outputted if you are connected via HDMI. Plus it doesnt route DD or DTS so kind of useless anyways. The TV outputs DD properly to my AVR when tuned at a ATSC HD channel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML /forum/post/0

I can answer your original question for my Sharp LC46DU. The TV is connected to my AVR via optical output. I have a toshiba HD-A2 and PS3 connected to the tv via HDMI. When I have the HD-A2 running the TV outputs 2 channel sound via optical, not DD or DTS. When the PS3 is running nothing is outputted via optical. My normal audio setup is both the A2 and PS3 optical are connected to my AVR. So to summarize tdo not count on the optical output having sound outputted if you are connected via HDMI. Plus it doesnt route DD or DTS so kind of useless anyways. The TV outputs DD properly to my AVR when tuned at a ATSC HD channel.

So those devices allow you to split the audio stream from the video stream? That's cool and encouraging.

I've been told that the Cable company I use doesn't allow you to send Optical digita audio out when an HDMI connection is in place, (because it is allowing the audio to go through the HDMI).

Since I don't have an HDTV I havn't tested this yet, can anyone with a Scientific American 8300HD STB confirm whether this is the case?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.