AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Sharp LC-32G4U and I contacted an ISF technician. Is this really worth it? How great will the picture difference be?There are more picture controls on this TV than i have ever seen thats why I'm looking into this.What are your thoughts in general on ISF calibration?Thanks J.H.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
J.H.,

I have ordered the LC-45GX6U and contacted a very reputable calibration tech in my area. His advice was to wait at least one month for break-in of the set before pofessional calibration. In fact, he won't even come out before that time. To avoid unnecessary wear on the set, he recommends immediately adjusting the brightness and contrast settings as they are usually jacked up from the factory. Then, use Avia or DVE to adjust the set as best you can. His job will be to accurately adjust the grayscales of each input through the service menus. He said that this is the most important adjustment on the LCD's from his perspective. However, I'm sure there are other adjustments he would make. One input calibration was about $225.00 and calibration of all inputs was about $375.00 as I recall. I am sure the benefit of this calibration will depend on how accurate the factory calibration is initially. Way off and you'll see a big improvement, very close and likely you'll feel it was not worth it. That's only my 2 cents though. the problem is you likely don't have the equipment to test whether or not your set really needs calibration, and therefore it's a crapshoot. A worthwile one in my opinion, but that you'll have to decide yourself.

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First congradulations on your purchase.The 45" looks awesome too. I've had my LCD for almost 2 months and I did use AVIA to calibrate it.I do feel that there is defenitely room for improvement.I really think I'm going to have this done. They charge a flat rate of $95 per hour and the typical time it takes is 4 hours.That sounds reasonable to me. Thanks for the information J.H.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.