AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went and took the plunge on a 58" Samsung pn58c500. I am going to be taking this set back because it's missing some features of higher up Samsung models. But before I go back and possibly get another plasma I'd like to ask about what lcd/led in the 54-60" range might fit the bill. The reason I am asking is we noticed lamps turned on reflecting off the display even during broadcasts. Seeing light source reflected clearly is very annoying and we don't always watch TV in the dark.

I have heard this is not just a plasma issue but also some newer lcd/led models. My current sources are Sony BDP-CX960, Dish 722, Xbox 360.

So can you tell me if there is a LCD/LED with

Good PQ

3 or more hdmi ports

Handles sports well

low gaming lag

Handles reflections well

Good viewing off center

Priced below 2300 or so.

I don't care about 3d yet or internet apps.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So been doing research, I see cnet loves a Vizio set but I read it has poor off angle viewing. I see LG sets rated highly but not sure how they do with gaming and they are very reflective. Samsung 6000/7000/8000 seem to get good reviews but lost which one to get. Any lcd/led sets I am missing?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Briant73,

started also my TV journey this year with a plasma set.

It was a PN58C680 3D.

Nice TV, but i see the plasma flicker so i have to go with LED/LCD.

At the moment i have the LN60C6300 (LCD non3D) & the UN55C7000 at home.

The PQ on the plasma set was better in dark surroundings. The LCD/LED sets are more greyish in dark scenes. With normal daylight or when you dont dim your lights, all 3 sets are near equal.

Coming now to the big difference between the plasma and the LCD/LED: PQ when watching sports. The Plasma set was by far better. When i got the 60" LCD i thought...forget it, i cant watch sports with this set. But after a while i got use to it. The LED is a little bit better. So i will return the 60" LCD and stick with the LED 3D. It came with a 3d bluray player and the 3d starterkit and was only $150 higher in price then the 60" inch lcd.

Gaming: the plasma was slightly better with lag, but when you play games with a hud for more then 3 hours i would be careful with IR. however, i had no problems with the C680.

To make the long story short,

i would suggest you the pn58c680 3d plasma set when you are sure that you dont see the plasma sticker.

otherwise go with the un55c7000 or un55c8000 (for local dimming).

looks like price talking is not allowed in the threads, but all sets are under $2000.

gl

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsicola74 /forum/post/19566020

Hi Briant73,

It was a PN58C680 3D.

The PQ on the plasma set was better in dark surroundings. The LCD/LED sets are more greyish in dark scenes. With normal daylight or when you dont dim your lights, all 3 sets are near equal.

Coming now to the big difference between the plasma and the LCD/LED: PQ when watching sports. The Plasma set was by far better. When i got the 60" LCD i thought...forget it, i cant watch sports with this set. But after a while i got use to it. The LED is a little bit better. So i will return the 60" LCD and stick with the LED 3D. It came with a 3d bluray player and the 3d starterkit and was only $150 higher in price then the 60" inch lcd.

Gaming: the plasma was slightly better with lag, but when you play games with a hud for more then 3 hours i would be careful with IR. however, i had no problems with the C680.

i would suggest you the pn58c680 3d plasma set when you are sure that you dont see the plasma sticker.

looks like price talking is not allowed in the threads, but all sets are under $2000.

gl

Thanks for the response. Did you notice the plasma flicker on every source or just certains ones and if so which ones since I have a plasma currently I can check it out. The other thing with this set driving me crazy is light reflections how does the higher end Samsung do with that? A lamp or ceiling light off to the side on dim settings show up clearly even during broadcasts. I like vieiwng in the dark for movies but at times having daylight and lights on is going to be the norm.

Would the pn58n6500 be like the the pn58c680 without 3d and the pn58c7000 like it with 3d?

I also am thinking about the Panasonic 54g25 which has good reviews and a decent price.

As for the un55c7000 what does the 8000 series add compared to it? CR has the viewing angle as fair for most Samsung Led sets.

·
Registered
584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 /forum/post/19566127

The other thing with this set driving me crazy is light reflections how does the higher end Samsung do with that? A lamp or ceiling light off to the side on dim settings show up clearly even during broadcasts. I like vieiwng in the dark for movies but at times having daylight and lights on is going to be the norm.

I'm with you here... reflections substantially decreases one's viewing enjoyment. You need to give a matte screen set a try. Here are three recommendations for you. Sony's EX500 gets really solid reviews, and the EX700 is only a little behind the 500 in picture quality. Samsung's C630 also has a matte screen and combats reflections quite well.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinee /forum/post/19566411

I'm with you here... reflections substantially decreases one's viewing enjoyment. You need to give a matte screen set a try. Here are three recommendations for you. Sony's EX500 gets really solid reviews, and the EX700 is only a little behind the 500 in picture quality. Samsung's C630 also has a matte screen and combats reflections quite well.

Chinee,

I came from a Sharp lc46d64u set so I have done the Matte thing. Now my main thing is if going to lcd/led I want good off center viewing angle and a display that can game well (no or very minimal lag from the display). PQ is always a must in any set of course. Are the Sony sets and or the Samsung good with gaming and off center viewing?

·
Registered
107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 /forum/post/19566498

Chinee,

I came from a Sharp lc46d64u set so I have done the Matte thing. Now my main thing is if going to lcd/led I want good off center viewing angle and a display that can game well (no or very minimal lag from the display). PQ is always a must in any set of course. Are the Sony sets and or the Samsung good with gaming and off center viewing?

Hi, I just bought a Sony 46Hx800 and it's fantastic. The blacks are deep and of course it is much brighter than a plasma because it's an edge-lit led. The off center viewing is great even though there is a slight color shift it's not like the old school lcd's that looked horrid from off center. I game on my PS3 with it and it works great. The input lag for my computer hdmi connection is also pretty good. Nothing that would cut your enjoyment of the set. I have very few complaints at all with this set and can say hands down it's the best I have ever owned and the best lcd I have owned including my high end BenQ monitors. The 3d function works great and I can say it holds up well compared to other 3dtv systems.

I like the glossy screen because my matte screen experiences have been pretty bad. After a few cleanings you will get streaks on a matte display even with the proper cleaning tools, it's just the way it is. The gloss screen on the sony is reflective and easy to clean yet my lamp reflection on it in a dark room is not overly annoying. For serious movie watching of course we darken the lamps to eliminate the reflections.

I would definitely recommend this set to my friends for gaming, movies, and tv viewing.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsicola74 /forum/post/19566020

Hi Briant73,

It was a PN58C680 3D.

gl

I have a Samsung 630A which is a few years old and is a pretty good set and I'm sure comparable to the 630C. However, as mentioned above if you plan on watching any sports you may be disappointed with the motion blur coming from a plasma.

Overall the TV is great but passes in football blur, pretty much all golf content blurs...I actually get embarrassed watching games with my buddies because they point it out every time. In all honest, this may be more of an issue with larger screens as I don't notice any blur on my 37" 60 hrz Vizio which cost 1/4 of the cost of the Samsung.

One good thing about the matte screen is it does do a great job reducing glare from lamps ect, however I think the picture may be a bit darker than glossy screens and there are still time in direct light during the afternoon the TV is hard to watch...I do have a lot of windows though.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDust
I have been real impressed with the anti reflective filter of my pn63c7000 samsung plasma. Much better then my ln55c630.
So you feel the plasma even with the glass type screen handles reflections better than a matte like lcd? I know the big issue with the PN58c500 I have is I can actually see the lamp/curtains/windows/ceiling lights perfectly in the glass display. What type of room/conditions are these screens in?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkim
I have a Samsung 630A which is a few years old and is a pretty good set and I'm sure comparable to the 630C. However, as mentioned above if you plan on watching any sports you may be disappointed with the motion blur coming from a plasma.

Overall the TV is great but passes in football blur, pretty much all golf content blurs...I actually get embarrassed watching games with my buddies because they point it out every time. In all honest, this may be more of an issue with larger screens as I don't notice any blur on my 37" 60 hrz Vizio which cost 1/4 of the cost of the Samsung.

One good thing about the matte screen is it does do a great job reducing glare from lamps ect, however I think the picture may be a bit darker than glossy screens and there are still time in direct light during the afternoon the TV is hard to watch...I do have a lot of windows though.
Just got the Plasma on Sunday so not much watching on it to get used to over my old sharp LCD.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73
Thanks for the response. Did you notice the plasma flicker on every source or just certains ones and if so which ones since I have a plasma currently I can check it out.
yes, on every source. i checked so many plasma sets. G25, S2, VT25, C7000/C8000...

just put a white sheet on a usb stick and display it on the TV. if you see flicker...buy a LCD/LED...if not, buy a plasma.

if you can afford i would recommend the VT25.

---

the c680 is 3d ready as the c7000/c8000.

---

LCD/LED C7000 to C8000 ... local dimming...better contrast ratio...silver brezel

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsicola74
yes, on every source. i checked so many plasma sets. G25, S2, VT25, C7000/C8000...

just put a white sheet on a usb stick and display it on the TV. if you see flicker...buy a LCD/LED...if not, buy a plasma.

if you can afford i would recommend the VT25.

---

the c680 is 3d ready as the c7000/c8000.

---

LCD/LED C7000 to C8000 ... local dimming...better contrast ratio...silver brezel
Thanks for the response. I will try to find a static source of a white screen and see what I notice.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update here are the Displays I am looking at with some things I have learned about them - Please let me know if I am missing a model/brand. I didn't include the VT series from panasonic because it's price near the 3k area is out of my budget.

Samsung ln60c630(seems ideal other than it may have too much input lag for FPS gaming)

Samsung pn58c6500 Seems like a winner but is a plasma so may have flicker, higer power requirements and reflections/glare but should be decent at gaming.

Panasonic TC-P54G25 - A little high on the power usages, possible issue with blacks and only 54" but solid performer for games/tv. Not sure about reflections/glares.

Samsung pn58c7000 Which seems the same as pn58c6500 but with 3d and possible 24p which I'm not sure I need. A bit more than the 6500 model.

Sony EX500 - Possible set but at 60 inches it sounds like it has a large footprint but maybe better at gaming than the Samsung 630.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about power requirements. Most estimates I have seen suggest an average savings of $5 - $20 per year by going with an "energy efficient" LCD over a "power hungry" plasma. I say go with the display that produces the image you prefer the most (whether that's LCD or plasma).

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty1781 /forum/post/19570233

I wouldn't worry too much about power requirements. Most estimates I have seen suggest an average savings of $5 - $20 per year by going with an "energy efficient" LCD over a "power hungry" plasma. I say go with the display that produces the image you prefer the most (whether that's LCD or plasma).

Marty I am thinking more about making sure I'm using too much power with running everything (denon avr-3803 receiver, subwoofer, source, display and a few misc items) on one circuit.

·
Registered
397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 /forum/post/19570404

Marty I am thinking more about making sure I'm using too much power with running everything (denon avr-3803 receiver, subwoofer, source, display and a few misc items) on one circuit.

I don't think plasma vs lcd will make that much of a difference (at least in my case it doesn't). I live in an older apartment building and on two adjacent plugs I have the following connected to two APC surge protectors/power conditioners:

1. Pioneer Kuro 60" plasma tv

2. HK 7550HD AVR

3. Infinity 500 watt subwoofer

4. TivoHD

5. Home Theater PC

6. Oppo BDP-83 Bluray player

7. Wii

8. Directv H-21 receiver

9. Linksys router + 8 port switch

10. Hauppauge HD-PVR

11. Lacie external hard drive

12. ATI Digital Cable Tuner

13. Monoprice HDMI splitter

14. Rocketfish wireless speaker transmitter

15. Motorola cable signal booster

16. Verizon Fios modem

17. Antec USB cooling pad

18. two AV cabinet exhaust fans

19. Slingbox Pro-HD

Now, not all of this is all going at once and every home/building is going to have different power requirements/tolerances, but I generally have #s 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 all going simultaneously and have never had an issue.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Viewing the new pn58c500 tonight and just wanted to say the glare/reflections are noticeable from a few christmas decorations that have little white string lights that are not really bright at all or even close to the tv screen. The lights are at least 6' away off to the sides of the TV on little decorative trees and the other is about 14-15' away in the back of the room and lower than the TV. So even small little white lights that are not much brighter than a night light cause reflections even on the screen where the broadcast part is since they are reflecting off the glass.

So my question is would the Samsung pc58c6500/7000 do the same thing? How about the Panasonic 54g25?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wanted to add I am researching the Sharp lc60e88u set, so far sounds like it works well for PQ and video games, has lcd blur somewhat but the big question is how's the viewing angle? I checked and local stores don't seem to carry it but do carry other Sharp sets, any models that would be fair to check out for viewing angle?

If the set is as good as the samsung c630 and Sony ex500 on PQ and viewing angle it just may be the one to go with. I am reading the sharp set can have possibly lip sync issues when the audio goes straight from the source to an audio receiver of some type, do other sets also have this issue?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts