AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, in the next few months I'm going to be in the market for a new TV.

I don't have many requirements, but they are as follows:
  1. Less than $2000, cheaper the better
  2. Runs plex (for SD, 720, 1080, and 3D SBS content)
  3. Smart capable
  4. At least 55 inches
  5. Easy to use for WAF

Nice to have:
  1. Skype capability with built in webcam
  2. Google TV... worth it?

In looking around at what's available now I've narrowed it down to a few choices:
  1. New LG GA7900 or GA6400 - worth it over the 55G2?
  2. Old LG 55G2 - Anybody have this one?
  3. Samsung UN55ES8000FXZA - built in webcam, skype, plex
  4. Samsung UN55ES7500FXZA - built in webcam, skype, plex
  5. Vizio E701I-A3 - ONLY because it's relatively cheap and is 70 inches

Anyway, I was hoping to see if any of you guys could help me out in finding the right TV for me. Let me know if you can recommend one over another or if you have another recommendation all together! I haven't looked in to LCD/LED flat panels for quite some time so I'm not sure what to look out for... I've been using an epson projector for the past few years and am moving now so need to downsize.

·
Registered
402 Posts
My personal pick would be the Samsung. It has Skype and the camera, it has one of the best (if not the best) Smart TV platforms, and it's even one of the better 3D and motion performers. It also has the Smart Evolution feature, which lets you upgrade its hardware (extra memory, a more powerful CPU) and interface without having to buy a new television. That probably is not going to improve picture quality, but it's a neat little feature regardless.

Vizio makes great performing televisions, as well, but they lack the bells and whistles and better implementation of the other brands.

The LG televisions that I've seen had fun remotes and interfaces, but they unfortunately had a lot of backlight bleeding and uniforming issues. Granted, the GAXXXX series isn't out yet. They may perform better than the 2012 models.

If you want the best 2D picture, don't discount Sony, either. The HX850 is gorgeous. Sony isn't restocking them, however, in order to push out the 2013 models. Best Buy still seems to have several in their warehouses, though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuy01  /t/1462108/lcd-led-smart-tv-recommendation#post_23057021

My personal pick would be the Samsung. It has Skype and the camera, it has one of the best (if not the best) Smart TV platforms, and it's even one of the better 3D and motion performers. It also has the Smart Evolution feature, which lets you upgrade its hardware (extra memory, a more powerful CPU) and interface without having to buy a new television. That probably is not going to improve picture quality, but it's a neat little feature regardless.

Vizio makes great performing televisions, as well, but they lack the bells and whistles and better implementation of the other brands.

The LG televisions that I've seen had fun remotes and interfaces, but they unfortunately had a lot of backlight bleeding and uniforming issues. Granted, the GAXXXX series isn't out yet. They may perform better than the 2012 models.

If you want the best 2D picture, don't discount Sony, either. The HX850 is gorgeous. Sony isn't restocking them, however, in order to push out the 2013 models. Best Buy still seems to have several in their warehouses, though.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm assuming you're referring to the 8000 series Samsung? I was a bit put off by that model since it only got 3.5 stars on Amazon and people were complaining of QC issues. Do you think these issues are still true or have current production runs of this model solved all of those problems? I'm also wondering how many people that have positive experiences simply are not posting reviews on Amazon/etc... either way your thoughts are appreciated.

[edit: I've noticed that there are 168 largely positive reviews on best buy... ]

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
anybody else have recs for a new tv based on my criteria above? my main requirement would be good plex implementation natively in the TV so I don't have to use my apple tv for that anymore.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bump... need some more advice...

just noticed the Samsung F8000... worth it over the old model?

·
Registered
6 Posts
WITHOUT A DOUBT the "Samsung UN55ES8000FXZA" - built in webcam, skype, plex"!!! I have this TV and have had it for one year. IT IS EXCELLANT!!! I origionally purchased the "Samsung UN55ES7500FXZA - built in webcam, skype, plex" and, well, I was a little let down. The performance of the 7500 was similar but not equal with the to the 8000. iThe 7500 lacked several features that I wanted all the way down to an LED "SAMSUNG" light at the bottom of the TV that I will have control over(whether it's on, whether it's off…etc. The UN55ES8000 FXZA is an awesome product. Way to go Samsung! The picture is AMAZING. Be prepared to see shows you have watched for years COME ALIVE with the 2D-3D option. Even the old "Law and Orders" seem new, like you are right there in the courtroom with them. The difference is stunning! I origionally bought the 7500 thinking I would have all the options of the 8000 but that was really the salesman's and MY ignorance!!! You will have absoulutely NO use for a "GOOGLE Box" or Google TV. I had BOTH. I JUST sold my Sony Google Box" because I really had no need for it anymore. I still have a Sony "Google TV" (40") but it has been relegated to my bedroom as it does not compare the the 8000. I have it hard wired to my Dennon Receiver for Cinema Quality surround sound(I have a LAN I hooked it up to). IT works VERY well wirelessly as well. I can play ANY content from my ipad or phone directly through the TV via All-Ahare Cast by Samsung(Included)! I can also mirror my iMac to the 55" screen!I It's awesome( I use an Apple TV box for that piece-sold separately). When I stream ANY media to the 8000 it is Crisp, Clear and Beautiful! The built in WebCam works easily(two-clicks) and flawlessly. As you probably know, the TV is upgradeable! Samsung has the "Smart-Evolution Kit" that enables us to "Upgrade" to the newest interface and software bells and whistles every year. It does come at a hefty price of about $130.00 (You can find it cheaper on ebay), but I don't see the need of upgrading every year. I am skipping this years(2013) upgrade and WILL purchase the 2014 upgrade. I spend A LOT of money on my family and Don't mind spending a little on me. The WHOLE family enjoys the system and my Fiancee is enjoying downtime with me watching shows and movies. She used to hate watching tv. The 3D is excellent but only as excellant as the origional media(movie, sport….etc). I highly recommend "Avatar". My sons recommended it and even though I though it would just be okay, the stunning 3D made it Fantastic!(We watched it twice in two days)!!! We used SamsungSSG-4100GB/GBW 3D glasses that come with EVERY 3D tv. If not they are least inexpensive and easy to find.(I have six pairs for sale on ebay right now for $10 bucks a pop!) Although there are "Newer" models out there, these work spectacularly!

ALL in ALL the UN55ES8000FXZA gives you a HUGE BANG for YOUR BUCK! I would recommend it to every and ANYbody looking for a Smart TV! It is WELL WORTH THe PRICE! WE actually have more time together viewing media on this TV than we spent together before. My sons play soccer, my fiancee is a gardener, and I wear MANY caps, so it's not like we live in front of the TV. But when we do have time, we often stay home(Even though one of my sons works at a "Showplace" MultiPlex), because Kerasotes Theatres CAN'T COMPARE with the syatem we have at home!!!( oh, and the treats are waay cheaper and are of more variety at home!!! :))…… We probably actually SAVE money that we used to spend on going out to see movies(100 dollars a pop to take out the family... EASY!)

Go Onnn, TREAT YOURSELF,….YOU DESERVE IT!!!

Samsung UN55ES7500FXZA - built in webcam, skype, plex

1 - 8 of 8 Posts