AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I just bought this tv-monitor LG M2262D-PC. I am curious about the real differences between a true tv and a monitor/tv. I bought it to use as a tv only. Is a tv better than a monitor/tv? I wonder cause a monitor/tv is cheaper than a regular tv, so will there be inferior image or anything different?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
generally, a dedicated TV is way better than a monitor. TV's usually have more inputs, and way more adjustments than a monitor. and they will have a tuner to watch cable tv. plus, monitors are usually 16:10 aspect ratio and you will see thin bars at the top and bottom when watching 16x9 content.

honestly, i would recommend getting a tv in stead of a monitor. most tv's have a vga input and can also be used as a monitor.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Most of the time the tuner and digital/analog converter add about $100 to the cost. Today's monitors are very good at rendering TV content, older LCD's not so much. My $10 garage sale CRT monitor actually does real well with video.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Your LG PC Monitor is whats called a 6-bit TN LCD Panel. It can not display a full range of colors.

You can watch TV, just fine on it but HDTV's Panasonic, Sony etc. use 8-bit LCD panels or 10-bit IPS Panels in Panasonics case. And Some Sony' are 10-bit also

You should be perfectly happy watching TV on it. I am when I watch TV on my Samsung XL2370.

As long as you have some type of Hardware TV Tuner, and Digital Cable, or Satellite TV, or Direct TV, some digital signal.

But SD cable analog cable standard def channels will look especially horrible. But if you connect it to a SD CRT Tube TV they would look crystal clear. Analog TV's will always be better at displaying Analog signals.

But if you are digital and have digital cable it should be ok. Not great but ok. It also says it has an MPEG 4 TV Tuner, I have no idea what that is. HDTV's have QAM Tuners for picking up Cable, and ATSC Tuners for Digital Signals and Digital Cable, and NTSC Tuners for Analog Signals.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold /forum/post/18172285

...But if you are digital and have digital cable it should be ok. Not great but ok. It also says it has an MPEG 4 TV Tuner, I have no idea what that is. HDTV's have QAM Tuners for picking up Cable, and ATSC Tuners for Digital Signals and Digital Cable, and NTSC Tuners for Analog Signals.

Perhaps he refers to a European monitor (Spain / UK), so it appears the TV turner Mpeg4, it is a form that stores have to demonstrate that the monitor or HDTV is high definition tuner under the European DVB standard HD , Which is based on MPEG-4, also known as "TNT-HD" or Mp4 in some stores.

this would be the European model: M2262D-PZ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts