AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the correct area to ask this question?

I currently have a 42" Panasonic in a tv cubby hole over my fireplace. I recently bought a 52" LG. Well I had the cubby hole expanded some to fit the 42 so there is no way a 52" will fit.

I was thinking of ceiling mounting the 52" by attaching it to the over head beam of the cubby hole. Now i'm considering an articulating wall mount. If i chose the articulating mount it would be in the open/extended position permanently and i do not if this will eventually over time be an issue.

here are some pics:

Because i'm in a new'ish subdivision that is still being built I was able to go into new homes still under construction and take pics of the frame work behind the cubby.

above cubby hole:

below:

Original finish:

With 42"

needing to install this:

Considering mounts like these:

or ceiling:

I have not found one just yet. I would need one with an L brace at the end and then the actual mount for the tv. The L bracket would give some space inbetween the tv and wall.

Any suggestions are welcome...thanks in advance,

Mike

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Uh, why pay for a very expensive articulated mount if you aren't going to use the features?

I would partially cover hole with 3/4 plywood fixed to the 2 studs on the sides of the opening and then place a low profile or tilt mount attached to the plywood. Since the TV is larger than the opening, the plywood would remain hidden and you would have a stronger, fully functional, and significantly cheaper setup.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah, I would look into framing the opening in to close it off so you have something solid to mount to. You could also at the same time look into running some of those wires behind the wall to clean it up a bit.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobrigidey /forum/post/19610904

Yeah, I would look into framing the opening in to close it off so you have something solid to mount to. You could also at the same time look into running some of those wires behind the wall to clean it up a bit.

Thanks....i am thinking about framing in the opening and using the wood with a traditional mount.

I also like your suggestion about the wires.....i'm not to concerned with that now....as that is an old pic with my Logitech z-5500. It actually looks worse now with my Polk Monitors...it's just a temp thing...also if you look in the bottom left portion of the picture you will see a hole...there is a rope in that hole that i will use to pull wires through when i'm ready.

Polks are what i have down stairs now..the logitech i moved to the bedroom..but i have since picked up some Energy speakers i'm wondering what to do with.

Energy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts