AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, at my old house I used to get OTA HD/DTV channels on my Samsung LNT4042H LCD, and then I picked up a Comcast HD-DVR box, so I didn't use the OTA channels for a long time. Now we no longer have the HD-DVR box, and I tried to rescan for OTA signals, but I didn't pick up any.

Is this because of the recent transition to DTV only, and is there anyway I can still pick up HD OTA channels like fox, abc, nbc, etc...?

·
Registered
9,399 Posts
edgeh2o
Quote:
Is this because of the recent transition to DTV only, and is there anyway I can still pick up HD OTA channels like fox, abc, nbc, etc...?

Yes its because of the recent transition. You will need to purchase a converter box to receive OTA as the Samsung LNT4042H only has a NTSC tuner and no ATSC tuner.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/16935791

edgeh2o

Yes its because of the recent transition. You will need to purchase a converter box to receive OTA as the Samsung LNT4042H only has a NTSC tuner and no ATSC tuner.

that statement is untrue. actually this tv tuner does both NTSC and ATSC so it should it does bring in the hdtv channels through the antenna without the box. so you do not need a converter box. and you should be able to pick up the unscrambled digital cable channels you tv and receive.

and to the op, have you done a rescan of all the channels?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeh2o /forum/post/16935306

Hey everyone, at my old house I used to get OTA HD/DTV channels on my Samsung LNT4042H LCD, and then I picked up a Comcast HD-DVR box, so I didn't use the OTA channels for a long time. Now we no longer have the HD-DVR box, and I tried to rescan for OTA signals, but I didn't pick up any.

You should have two RF coax inputs. One is for cable and the other is for an OTA antenna.

Make sure the antenna is connected to the proper RF coax input. They should be labeled.

Then rescan and follow the menu instructions for antenna. You may have to select digital signal or both in set up.

If you are using any device with an analog channel 3/4 output, power it on and select both analog and digital signal.

·
Registered
9,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttskyline2001 /forum/post/16936307

that statement is untrue. actually this tv tuner does both NTSC and ATSC so it should it does bring in the hdtv channels through the antenna without the box. so you do not need a converter box. and you should be able to pick up the unscrambled digital cable channels you tv and receive.

and to the op, have you done a rescan of all the channels?

My bad, you are correct skyline.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have not tried this with an external antenna, I thought the TV had an internal antenna so that I would not need the rabbit ears... I'm assuming this train of thought is incorrect...it's been a while since I've had to do this without a cable box...

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeh2o /forum/post/16941549

I have not tried this with an external antenna, I thought the TV had an internal antenna so that I would not need the rabbit ears... I'm assuming this train of thought is incorrect...it's been a while since I've had to do this without a cable box...

you are now correct, it has an internal tuner, but requires an external antenna, but nothing special unless you live far and wide from the broadcast antenna.

if you are having trouble visit http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx locate the direction of the broadcast station. the site emphasis is on external antenna, but you most likely won't need one

TVbc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts